No lights

jamie077366

Hi guys, as title suggests, only a few lights are working. Iv nearly finished putting back together. I have... wipers work, fuel gage, drivers light, passenger side light work.. no main beam, no passenger head light, no back lights, no indicators either end. Power getting to fuses. What’s your thoughts? Sorry I’m quite stupid.... 

as ian says check earths. there is one near each headlamp screwed down to the inner wing and also same at the back panel for the rear lights. make sure you have 12v to each end of all fuses.( some only go live with ignition on)

hopefully you will find some issues here and repair as required.

if lights are still not working check bulbs ( obviously) and bulb connectors.main beams are linked side to side and come from the multistalk switch ,dipped are the same.sidelights and rears come from 2 seperate fuses.( see manual)

if indicators are not working but fuse is fine try operating the hazard switch a few times .

brake lights should have 12v to switch above pedal (1terminal) and other go live when pedal pressed.

other than that its a case of voltmeter or bulb to work your way back.

if you have a meter or  bulb with 1 wire clipped to earth then you cant go wrong or do any damage by testing for power with the other wire ..

most of the time these issues will be bad earths ,followed by loose connector plugs,and obviously possible but less likely is faulty switches .

and goes without saying,sorry if im stating the obvious but make sure everything is plugged back in correctly .

Edited by cam.in.head
addition
  • Like 1

Think i had issues before with front lights on final build, it was the rear earths weirdly? Too much paint, or rather wasnt getting the correct earth.

Make sure them bulb hilders are all clean and seated correctly. 

As above test with a bulb, you can solder wires to a bulb and test on the battery before commencing. 

If you are getting power, when switched on, its not the switches.

Thanks for advice guys, will take another look, the last part of the build is a killer, you really do realise why there are so many 90% finished projects for sale :) 

I bailed on it tonight and played with the harnesses and roll cage padding instead  (I did actually do some useful stuff to) 😂

C90FDC58-A44A-475F-83EF-60790C588134.png

Edited by jamie077366
  • Like 1

Yes, welcome to the world of 1980 car electrics 🙈

glad it's sorted, I remember on my first manta I had an intermittent issue that was caused by the cone on the fuse gone, but the fuse strip looking good. Took me ages to find it with my young gun naive approach to fault finding lol

• Like 2

One bit of advice I would give to every Manta owner is replace all the fuses with new ones! They are cheap and plentiful. When you clean the ends, they will soon oxidise again and you will be back to square one. Make it part of the service even, say every three or four years replace them. Your fusebox will thank you for it by not melting!

• Like 2