Auction: 88 Monaco Blue GTE Exclusive coupe

2 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

If we take inflation into consideration, I think 15years. Within 6-8 years the prices will close up on the fords, but the Oreos are about 10years behind in terms of value imo

It still outsold both of the 3.0s Capris and the series 3 RS turbo, which surprised me, but the RS1600i price was a huge surprise, i sold mine10 years ago for 3k.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

It has been heading that way, but whilst still rarer and more iconic than the equiv ford, not there yet. 

Classic Fords of any description seem relatively easy to get hold of, I totally agree that they are rarer, the Manta now is definitely low in survivors, DVLA How many left is a rough guide, add up 1.8s, 1.9 auto, rayalle, gte and exclusive etc road taxed this year and we are still in low  figures, 276 roughly across the range, this though does not recording the ones we don’t know about locked up.

More iconic, 100%

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Classic Fords of any description seem relatively easy to get hold of, I totally agree that they are rarer, the Manta now is definitely low in survivors, DVLA How many left is a rough guide, add up 1.8s, 1.9 auto, rayalle, gte and exclusive etc road taxed this year and we are still in low  figures, 276 roughly across the range, this though does not recording the ones we don’t know about locked up.

More iconic, 100%

Wish those figures would differentiate coupes and Hatchbacks

2 hours ago, chrisb said:

Definitely

Gerry Cantwell's Dolphin Grey Exclusive which was also 'original' and only 30K miles was up for grabs at £20K a while back (since sold I believe) was probably the most expensive Manta I'd seen for sale in recent years. Coincidentally, it also had a full respray for cosmetic reasons. 
So £20K plus is now the benchmark for an unrestored GTE Exclusive. Nearer £23K when you add in the extras as noted above. 
One wonders how much the Cumbrian museum example was sold for.

BTW, delighted to hear you decided to keep hold of your Exclusive ! Nice one! The question is, what's living outside now Chris? 

• Thanks 1

Monaco, you should either write a book on manta values, you never miss one for sale, or a manta edition of classic car weekly.

Or put in authority of club evaluations for club members.

Something that is catching my attention is the replica 400s that H400 made us aware of in belgium, cira €30k mark. Could you build it for €15k

Ok, they are both great cars in their own right, works look dash, ronal wheels etc but i do see flaws, minor paint surface rush issues. Its got a 2.4 engine, would guess average 90 to 100k miles

Taken this 23k exclusive into account, its a completely different class of car, the average restored exclusive in same visual condition with 90 to 100k miles would make between £7 to £9k. So is low mileage worth £13k.

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Taken this 23k exclusive into account, its a completely different class of car, the average restored exclusive in same visual condition with 90 to 100k miles would make between £7 to £9k. So is low mileage worth £13k.

Not sure i agree with this statement, the agreed sale on my 90k Exclusive coupe (E100 OMM) was far higher than 9k and had more offers over the agreed sale one.

2 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

BTW, delighted to hear you decided to keep hold of your Exclusive ! Nice one! The question is, what's living outside now Chris? 

Cheers mate, i just couldnt part with it, unfortunately the B is outside now.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Not sure i agree with this statement, the agreed sale on my 90k Exclusive coupe (E100 OMM) was far higher than 9k and had more offers over the agreed sale one.

Cheers mate, i just couldnt part with it, unfortunately the B is outside now.

I agree Chris. A restored car even with 100k on its clock is not a 100k car any more. Obviously there is a premium for lower recorded miles and number of owners. I think a reasonable figure would be based on a coupe in need of a full respray and minor body repair work should be around the 7k-9k region.

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Something that is catching my attention is the replica 400s that H400 made us aware of in belgium, cira €30k mark. Could you build it for €15k

Just on this point mate, think your a bit out on the money. Expect over £10k for a shell to start off.

• Like 1
On 08/11/2020 at 20:59, ®evo03 said:

Monaco, you should either write a book on manta values, you never miss one for sale, or a manta edition of classic car weekly.

Or put in authority of club evaluations for club members.

Haha! I'm sure I miss a few TBH! I'd hardly say I'm an authority however.

On 08/11/2020 at 20:59, ®evo03 said:

I'd have thought the average restored Exclusive (in very good condition) will be more like £12~£15K now.

• Like 1

In my opinion I think it would be closer to 17-18k for VGC exclusive now, taking into account the costs involved in a decent restoration, increased costs of parts, labour and paint etc.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 3

Yep agree with all, shocked that a average condition exclusive could make that much, and a fully restored one can be even higher, close to a low miler ticket, doesnt really make sense that mileage means nothing but, hay ho! What do I know. 

But it into modern context, would you expect a 1 Yr old car with with 25k to be same price as same car with 100k?

Monaco blue, we need your services as club members valuation negotiator. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Yep agree with all, shocked that a average condition exclusive could make that much, and a fully restored one can be even higher, close to a low miler ticket, doesnt really make sense that mileage means nothing but, hay ho! What do I know. 

But it into modern context, would you expect a 1 Yr old car with with 25k to be same price as same car with 100k?

I did a full value write up in the General Discussion area which was a basic but realistic overview. Manta values are on the up but surely they cant go much higher? or can they?...........

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I did a full value write up in the General Discussion area which was a basic but realistic overview. Manta values are on the up but surely they cant go much higher? or can they?...........

A link to the relevant post:

15 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

I think Rapier Dave and various others already do that! 👍

• Like 2

Here's another Manta GTE going to auction. Looking at the photos, I suspect the Ebay asking price is wishful thinking. 

Rusty rear arches, offside front wing, holed drivers bolster, various scuffs etc. never mind what's hiding underneath. Will need a full respray too! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-manta-Gte/383806110449?hash=item595ca07af1:g:HnUAAOSwTzlfdPGS

https://bid.hampsonauctions.com/lot-details/index/catalog/8/lot/789/1984-Opel-Manta-GTE?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F8%2FClassic-Car-Auction

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

Here's another Manta GTE going to auction. Looking at the photos, I suspect the Ebay asking price is wishful thinking. 

Rusty rear arches, offside front wing, holed drivers bolster, various scuffs etc. never mind what's hiding underneath. Will need a full respray too! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-manta-Gte/383806110449?hash=item595ca07af1:g:HnUAAOSwTzlfdPGS

https://bid.hampsonauctions.com/lot-details/index/catalog/8/lot/789/1984-Opel-Manta-GTE?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F8%2FClassic-Car-Auction

It does seem a bit optimistic, pretty sure it was on gumtree or C&C earlier in the year. He seems to have this one that needs a bit more work too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-Exclusive-/383806183713?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 08:21, Danny D114BCW said:

Danny, trying to track down where this info is, i know it is outdated now! But could you advise or update. 

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Danny, trying to track down where this info is, i know it is outdated now! But could you advise or update. 

With all the recent auctions of Mantas we now have some data of potential achievable prices.

Nothing really has changed in terms of the most sought after & therefore most valuable cars.

The list below is only my opinion based on achieved prices in the last couple of years.

Values assume current MOT. running & in presentable condition, for defects e.g. rust around sunroof, needs paintwork then take 10-20% off the lower value

Automatics take 10 - 15% off the expected price

Modified cars can achieve similar values but in the current market buyers are seeking out originality. 1980's classic cars are particularly sought after atm. 

1. Manta GTE Exclusive coupe                                                 £18k - £23k

2. Manta GTE coupe                                                                 £15k - £20k

3. Manta A ( SR / Berlinetta)                                                     £12k - £16k

4. Manta 1.8 coupe (GT or Berlinetta)                                      £11k - £15k

5. Manta B1 coupe (SR / Berlinetta)                                         £10k - £14k

6. Manta Hatch (GTE or Exclusive)                                          £8k  -  £12k

7. Manta 1.8 Hatch (Exclusive / Berlinetta / GT)                      £7k  -  £11k

8. Manta B1 SR Berlinetta Hatch                                               £5k  -  £7k

9. Cavalier Coupe                                                                      £5k  -  £7k 

10. Cavalier Sportshatch                                                           £4k  -  £6k

The list does not include limited editions such as i200 or B1 GT-J but you would expect an i200 coupe to be at position 1 with a premium on price if it came up for sale, B1 GT-J like James Coghlan's to be around position 3/4 if it came up for sale.

There have been anomalies in the last few years  e.g. ultra low mileage time warp Hatches that have achieved better than expected prices.

Edited March 3 by Rapierdave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thats a great starting point, lets us club members know where we are at for insurance valuations etc, great guide, not written in stone but its firm ground. Great job! Thanks

Knew it was done recently, just couldnt remember if it was in the last manta mag, or one here, somewhere. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Thats a great starting point, lets us club members know where we are at for insurance valuations etc, great guide, not written in stone but its firm ground. Great job! Thanks

Knew it was done recently, just couldnt remember if it was in the last manta mag, or one here, somewhere. 

I now know what you are talking about. It was something i wrote in general discussion. 

• Like 1
On 11/03/2021 at 19:43, Rapierdave said:

With all the recent auctions of Mantas we now have some data of potential achievable prices.

Nothing really has changed in terms of the most sought after & therefore most valuable cars.

The list below is only my opinion based on achieved prices in the last couple of years.

Values assume current MOT. running & in presentable condition, for defects e.g. rust around sunroof, needs paintwork then take 10-20% off the lower value

Automatics take 10 - 15% off the expected price

Modified cars can achieve similar values but in the current market buyers are seeking out originality. 1980's classic cars are particularly sought after atm. 

1. Manta GTE Exclusive coupe                                                 £18k - £23k

2. Manta GTE coupe                                                                 £15k - £20k

3. Manta A ( SR / Berlinetta)                                                     £12k - £16k

4. Manta 1.8 coupe (GT or Berlinetta)                                      £11k - £15k

5. Manta B1 coupe (SR / Berlinetta)                                         £10k - £14k

6. Manta Hatch (GTE or Exclusive)                                          £8k  -  £12k

7. Manta 1.8 Hatch (Exclusive / Berlinetta / GT)                      £7k  -  £11k

8. Manta B1 SR Berlinetta Hatch                                               £5k  -  £7k

9. Cavalier Coupe                                                                      £5k  -  £7k 

10. Cavalier Sportshatch                                                           £4k  -  £6k

The list does not include limited editions such as i200 or B1 GT-J but you would expect an i200 coupe to be at position 1 with a premium on price if it came up for sale, B1 GT-J like James Coghlan's to be around position 3/4 if it came up for sale.

There have been anomalies in the last few years  e.g. ultra low mileage time warp Hatches that have achieved better than expected prices.

Would the above be current, or need updated? Also is there one dedicated person who looked after car valuations for club members, trying to get answers, and not getting very far, i know people have alot on at the minute, but........trying to get answers, maybe asking the wrong folk, no area rep here! So dont know what doing on.....

The valuation list is current but remember it is only my opinion based on recently achieved prices.

We will have more data by the 21st March as there are a couple of Mantas up for auction at Mathewson's.

To make the data as accurate as possible we need members to let us know what their cars sold for.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Would the above be current, or need updated? Also is there one dedicated person who looked after car valuations for club members, trying to get answers, and not getting very far, i know people have alot on at the minute, but........trying to get answers, maybe asking the wrong folk, no area rep here! So dont know what doing on.....

Send me a PM