Mk 1 cavalier gls coupe

Kurtupsin75

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

Cavalier clocked up 80 miles trouble free so far not hundred percent running correctly but it getting there .

Great to hear you’re on the road👍

How did you sort the weeping brake fluid issue, did you replace or get new seals?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trooker said:

Great to hear you’re on the road👍

How did you sort the weeping brake fluid issue, did you replace or get new seals?

I dismantled a old one and the seals was in great shape but still weeps a tiny bit 

Just now, Kurtupsin75 said:

I dismantled a old one and the seals was in great shape but still weeps a tiny bit 

All the seal in new ones had gone hard and broke in to pieces hence it leaked 

14 hours ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

All the seal in new ones had gone hard and broke in to pieces hence it leaked 

That’s a pain with the New Old Stock, I wonder if the slightly weeping old seals will soften a bit with fluid & be ok in the long run. 

Anyway, fantastic job on the Cav, I hope to see it in the coming months 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Was the Chevair 2/4 door saloon, ascona/cavalier shape, 

Was it available in coupe/hatch shape? 

What engine box did they run?

From a bit of a search it seem they were 4 door saloon only.

Some Ascona fronts but more Manta however some normal 2 slot, later ones 2 big slots  

If memory serves the yellow one that was for sale in the UK  a couple of years ago with the big slots was a CIH. 

It seems that they also fitted a heavy rather gutless old 2.3 but those appear to be earlier cars

https://www.sedgeclasscars.co.za/details.php?CarID=2630

10 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by Trooker
  • Like 1

Some pics of the rear axle:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The axle is not the same as an Opel axle, look at the diff cover. But the suspension like the brackets of the chocks and even the stabilisation bar is the same as a 400. At the right side you can see the bottom trailing arm as the 400 and commodore etc... 

This pic shows also those bottom trailing arms, on a European Ascona/Cavalier there are fragile tubes used. Behind the brake drum you can see the stabilisation bar. 

So those cars were made from 1976, three years before the production of the Ascona-400. Lets say we know yet how Opel found out how to fit the commodore axle under the 400 😁.

• Like 3