Mk 1 cavalier gls coupe

Kurtupsin75

On 22/01/2022 at 17:04, Jonathan Pounsett said:

You need to post some photos of your bumpers @Kurtupsin75or this will soon turn into a Chevair blog!

Soon as there back chromers going straight on

Replaced the door tops material as original was cracked and holed but happy with grain match 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

On 19/01/2022 at 13:32, Jessopia74 said:

That's great to hear ! 
icing on the cake 😎 Looking forwards to seeing it with them fitted.

Me to

• Like 7

Finally got all new bumber bracketry. Faced with another problem all the lights flicker when running over 2k revs not below 1k revs can hear a relay clicking sound  replaced the battery 60amphr did the same with the 44amphr also has new alternator fitted any ideas thanks .

does your dash have a voltmeter fitted ? 

check with this and another meter to be sure that the new alternator is not overcharging.( faulty regulator) it should not go above 15v max with nothing turned on ( internal regulator tries to regulate it to around 14.2 depending on the battery charge level,load and the resistance of any cables )

ive seen faulty regulators go upwards of 20v and this will soon cause lots of damage. im sure yours will be ok but please eliminate this possibility.

otherwise not sure what could cause a clicking relay sound. but first things first.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

does your dash have a voltmeter fitted ? 

check with this and another meter to be sure that the new alternator is not overcharging.( faulty regulator) it should not go above 15v max with nothing turned on ( internal regulator tries to regulate it to around 14.2 depending on the battery charge level,load and the resistance of any cables )

ive seen faulty regulators go upwards of 20v and this will soon cause lots of damage. im sure yours will be ok but please eliminate this possibility.

otherwise not sure what could cause a clicking relay sound. but first things first.

Has voltmeter yes some time goes of the scale at high revs but sits normal on tick over

2 hours ago, Vince said:

Possibly the voltage regulator located on the back of the clocks?

They are a common fault & can play havoc with the gauges. I've a spare if you want to borrow it keith to try?

Just voltmeter does rest of the dials are fine just the light flicker all the time up the revs 

3 hours ago, Vince said:

Possibly the voltage regulator located on the back of the clocks?

They are a common fault & can play havoc with the gauges. I've a spare if you want to borrow it keith to try?

The voltage regulator is a common issue but it’s only for the fuel gauge & temperature gauge as those need a steady 10(ish) volts rather than 12-14v from battery & alternator. 

5 hours ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

Has voltmeter yes some time goes of the scale at high revs but sits normal on tick over

I think Cam.in.head is right, the regulator on your alternator isn’t doing its job. Some alternators have them external with a wire, so may be worth looking at those connections if you have them. 

Don’t use your stereo until you’ve sorted this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dont use anything until youve sorted this !

it sounds like your alternator regulator is definately gone. 

if it goes anywhereabove and off the scale you are putting upwards of 16v possibly much more ( unlimited by revs realy) into all your cars electrics. that means bulbs,coil,rev counter,clock etc .

if its a bosch with the external regulator there an easy swap. delco ones are internal and a bit more work.

swap the alternator back or change the regulator before you fry everything.

just be sure you have it wired up correctly first. casing has earth link across to engine bracket. main battery positive to main + m6 stud and the blue/ white spade to IND for dash light.

it will also destroy the dashboard voltage regulator eventually which feeds the fuel and temp guages.

• Like 3

thats what were here for !.

to share our knowledge and experiences with likeminded people.

unlike some other car forums whereby if you dont do things a certain way they say you are doing it wrong and get all uppety.( think thats the word ?)

my way or the highway as they say !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 611 said:

Nice, i like a nice plain chrome bumper, fitted my back one on Tuesday.

She's looking good 🙂

Will be fitting the rubber trim tomorrow just run out of time .love the manta a I would love another 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

Will be fitting the rubber trim tomorrow just run out of time .love the manta a I would love another 

The bumpers with the trim installed will go nicely with your side trim.

Still flatting and polishing mine which seems to take for ever!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

Two days flattering and polishing mine could do with another quick mop 

I does take forever. Spent all day on mine today, finished off the doors, did the nose cone and bonnet and that was the whole day gone! But does make it look so much better 😉

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

ah thats good. 

they are an easy alternator to repair realy. glad you did it. i cringed at the thought of you putting all those volts through the system !

Just damaged the flasher relay but been replaced now all is good 

• Like 2