Piston ring gap and replacement rings.

Nivlek2525

10 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Excuses time. 4, 3 and 2 are pretty much as clean as I could get them. 1 was the last one I did and I was rushing to pick the kids up yesterday. The piston side and ring grooves are spot on but the crown could be better on that last one. I found I couldn't clean it off and had to polish them with metal polish. If I'm honest I was getting a bit fed up as I'm half expecting all this not to work.  Hence I was quite pleased when solvent didn't just pour straight through.

No need to apologise mate, you are in there and doing a great job - I predict the car will run just fine.

Like you, I also struggled to get my piston crowns clean and in the end I turned to 2000 grit wet and dry soaked in WD-40. It was more abrasive that metal polish and shifted the carbon pretty quickly. My engine had 108,000 on it, so it was far from fresh inside...

This is what I ended up with:

SOHHMvL.jpg

Good luck with the rest of the build and the restart!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

If I'm honest I was getting a bit fed up as I'm half expecting all this not to work.

They are rocks! Probably the reason why most mantas are still around.

I build up a shell, a 1978 1.6 cih, car was bought complete, stripdown and rebuild, though, sure if i get a year out of it! Fifteen years later, 

I was so wrong. Its my favourite car, its cared for, serviced, and looked after, a 80 ish bhp gem, and it gets pushed all the way

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

No need to apologise mate, you are in there and doing a great job - I predict the car will run just fine.

Like you, I also struggled to get my piston crowns clean and in the end I turned to 2000 grit wet and dry soaked in WD-40. It was more abrasive that metal polish and shifted the carbon pretty quickly. My engine had 108,000 on it, so it was far from fresh inside...

This is what I ended up with:

SOHHMvL.jpg

Good luck with the rest of the build and the restart!

Spured on by Ian I had a quick hour before the 11am deadline. I didn't want to use an abrasive as there's a gramophone finish to the tops of the pistons I didn't want to sand off and since the pistons are back in clean bores the use of an abrasive felt a bit 'dodgy'. So I used a course rag and a bit of 3 in 1 and a bit of effort and I have this.

16048325814901813268518.jpg

That will have to do. I'll pick up the rest of the engine build on my build thread but will leave a further comment in due course once it's been compression tested so that someone finding this in the future will have an idea what you can get away with in terms of wear and tear.

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

They are rocks! Probably the reason why most mantas are still around.

I build up a shell, a 1978 1.6 cih, car was bought complete, stripdown and rebuild, though, sure if i get a year out of it! Fifteen years later, 

I was so wrong. Its my favourite car, its cared for, serviced, and looked after, a 80 ish bhp gem, and it gets pushed all the way

Love it. Let's hope I'm as lucky with this one. I really do only want a year out of this engine as I'm totally sold on a 2.4 build after reading all the info in the links above.  I'm treating this engine as a trial run...

Edited by Nivlek2525
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Spured on by Ian I had a quick hour before the 11am deadline. I didn't want to use an abrasive as there's a gramophone finish to the tops of the pistons I didn't want to sand off and since the pistons are back in clean bores the use of an abrasive felt a bit 'dodgy'. So I used a course rag and a bit of 3 in 1 and a bit of effort and I have this.

16048325814901813268518.jpg

That will have to do. I'll pick up the rest of the engine build on my build thread but will leave a further comment in due course once it's been compression tested so that someone finding this in the future will have an idea what you can get away with in terms of wear and tear.

Love it. Let's hope I'm as lucky with this one. I really do only want a year out of this engine as I'm totally sold on a 2.4 build after reading all the info in the links above.  I'm treating this engine as a trial run...

Start collecting your parts, I linked a 2.3DTR crank  on ebay for £99 💪 in the parts section. The journals are way to big a diameter for petrol, but grinding down gives a super fresh and strong crank 

26 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Start collecting your parts, I linked a 2.3DTR crank  on ebay for £99 💪 in the parts section. The journals are way to big a diameter for petrol, but grinding down gives a super fresh and strong crank 

Can't get distracted. Garage already looks like an Aladdin cave of manta bits in freezer bags and storage bins. Must stay focused on the car first with this basic engine set up. Nice engine is project number 2. 😀

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Can't get distracted. Garage already looks like an Aladdin cave of manta bits in freezer bags and storage bins. Must stay focused on the car first with this basic engine set up. Nice engine is project number 2. 😀

Indeed, surprisingly how fast those parts keep turning up to fill the shelf's huh 😎

• Haha 2

And after hours of searching for that needed part you open plastic icecreem boxes and you will find parts you just didn't know you had them... Think we all have that Alladin cave but we don't know it 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Need to make icecream boxes see through, transparent! So we know what we have, a free marker pen would be helpful also.

Still does not help, as you stack loads of them anyway 😂
I should have cataloged all my bits and come up with a box numbering system in hindsight, maybe something I will get my lad to do next summer holiday. However, I am now starting to store things at a 3rd location so it's getting complicated 🤯🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Edited by Jessopia74