CIH 2.3 DTR Crankshaft

Spotted on ebay, useful if you want to go big capacity CIH with offset grinding. These cranks do need some machine work to fit in petrol endine, but nothing that can't be done by any engine machine shop. £99 delivered is a good price ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-opel-frontera-2-3-diesel-23dtr-crankshaft-/363158946028

eBay item number:

• Like 1

There's a man in America, he has a youtube channel somehow makes a 2.5 out of these. Must be quite involved as I think the diesel blocks are taller so I guess you would need quite short rods to get it all to fit in a petrol block. Tempting, just to have it on the shelf...

I want to respond on Jess his first post on this topic. In the original technical manual they write the "400" crankshaft is nitrated and can have without any changes 300Hp. But I noticed some time ago an oil leak at the flywheel side of the engine. The dimensions were not the same as a normal CIH engine. With the partnumber and the help of a forum member I found out it is the oil seal of a 2.3 Diesel engine. Just some info I want to share, not gonna say the diesel crank can deal the same power but after some hardening/balancing it is maybe something to try...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

I want to respond on Jess his first post on this topic. In the original technical manual they write the "400" crankshaft is nitrated and can have without any changes 300Hp. But I noticed some time ago an oil leak at the flywheel side of the engine. The dimensions were not the same as a normal CIH engine. With the partnumber and the help of a forum member I found out it is the oil seal of a 2.3 Diesel engine. Just some info I want to share, not gonna say the diesel crank can deal the same power but after some hardening/balancing it is maybe something to try...

You can have any crank treated Nate, it's not so common these days, but a few places still can nitrile cranks. One issue with the D crank is the journals are wider, so you can't have floating piston gudgeons. If the 2.3D crank is reduced to std 2.4rod diameter , the top needs shims between the piston & little end to hold it into same spot, and kept it 'float' at crankshaft end.

Diesel cranks are by design stronger items, but mostly heavier over engineered. Not sure if anyone has ever seen the Cummins engine tuning on TV programs, that use std bottom ends and go crazy boost for big torque/bhp 🤩

• Like 1

If you want to build a good CIH i highly recommend going and reading some of RallyBob's posts on Opelgt.com/forums/  Not everything he talks about you will be able to use as he's USA based and has a better access to parts and machining services. Plus there are some rare bits he uses for some of his own builds like the early low compression 1.5CIH cylindeer head. But he does talk about using the 2.3 crank in more normal builds aswell as the 2.3 highdeck block for different builds up to 2.7l

• Like 2

On 09/11/2020 at 09:58, mantasrme said:

If you want to build a good CIH i highly recommend going and reading some of RallyBob's posts on Opelgt.com/forums/  Not everything he talks about you will be able to use as he's USA based and has a better access to parts and machining services. Plus there are some rare bits he uses for some of his own builds like the early low compression 1.5CIH cylindeer head. But he does talk about using the 2.3 crank in more normal builds aswell as the 2.3 highdeck block for different builds up to 2.7l

Some of the things he can do flies right over my head. The write up on turning the cam wheel around and redrilling the cam location peg hole to change the amount of degrees on cam timing is truly amazing. 

• Like 4