Manta GTE brake upgrade

happypatrol

Problem with wilwoods, that has always put me off, is the lack of dust boots 🤔

I did a 4pot Volvo 244 & Carlton upgrade many moons ago to my old GTE coupe, however it might be cheaper to go with Audi discs and Astra/Vectra Calipers, more than adiquate for the manta.

Link to my project thread post with the parts I used and costing.

• Like 2

Wilwood are essentially a racing caliper, behind the scenes rebuilds, some dont even get a full season, half a season at best, 

I would say a well thought up upgrade, or even a rebuild of original calipers,  one thing i would say is that opel took a slight sideways step with the later sliding calipers, earlier twin pot calipers in good condition work better. 

It depends on your, use for the car, your plans on doing it and hopefully having no further issues, i would suggest whatever caliper, get em rebuild if in any doubt. 

Cheers for that info. Another option.  

what do I need to modify on the audi discs ? 

whichever calipers I go for they will be new. I don’t want second hand units. This will be the first and last tIme I touch the brakes for a while. So want as little hassle as possible. 

my originals are the 2 pot calipers. But I really would prefer vented discs. I only use the car on sunny days but I do drive it fairly hard when the roads allow. 

just about to remove the head too. It’s never been upgraded to unleaded and the stem seals are starting to show some signs of wear. 

cheers 

hi if its a 85 model then theres every chance it will already be unleaded. the head will have P2E stamped on the side above the spark plugs.

the valve seals can be changed without removing the head if needs be with a tool that holds the valves up S 1230 or you can use the old rope method. ( or you can remove the head too if you so wish and do a proper clean up and lap the seats.

my 2 cavs both have the early 2 piston  calipers and standard discs. never felt any issue with the brakes and i drive a fair few different vehicles !

1 hour ago, happypatrol said:

Cheers for that info. Another option.  

what do I need to modify on the audi discs ? 

whichever calipers I go for they will be new. I don’t want second hand units. This will be the first and last tIme I touch the brakes for a while. So want as little hassle as possible. 

my originals are the 2 pot calipers. But I really would prefer vented discs. I only use the car on sunny days but I do drive it fairly hard when the roads allow. 

just about to remove the head too. It’s never been upgraded to unleaded and the stem seals are starting to show some signs of wear. 

cheers 

The Audi discs need drilling and centre bore opening up, however mantasrme (David) sell them already done for a couple of £ more than Factors would sell me just the discs as fitted to mine in the project thread I linked ( and prices )
If you want new Calipers or refurb, then just remember you might need carriers as they probably will not come with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

hi if its a 85 model then theres every chance it will already be unleaded. the head will have P2E stamped on the side above the spark plugs.

the valve seals can be changed without removing the head if needs be with a tool that holds the valves up S 1230 or you can use the old rope method. ( or you can remove the head too if you so wish and do a proper clean up and lap the seats.

my 2 cavs both have the early 2 piston  calipers and standard discs. never felt any issue with the brakes and i drive a fair few different vehicles !

I will check on the head but my friend had this car from almost new and he always ran it on 4 star. I’m keen to get the head off and do a clean up. Re grind valves etc.  Won’t do it any harm. And not exactly busy in the evening at the moment. 

I've been using Wilwood Midilite for around 8 years.  The car is on the road all year round and I haven't had any problems to date, I've only changed pads and discs during this time.

I'm sure some on here use Astra GT/E or mk3 Cavalier calipers with 256mm discs.

21 hours ago, Ems said:

I've been using Wilwood Midilite for around 8 years.  The car is on the road all year round and I haven't had any problems to date, I've only changed pads and discs during this time.

I'm sure some on here use Astra GT/E or mk3 Cavalier calipers with 256mm discs.

Cheers for that info 

david 

23 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

I checked my head tonight and no signs of any letters stamped. I also phoned the engineering shop I would use to rework the head and they are quoting £60/70 per valve to replace the valve seats for unleaded. So I think that options priced out. For the power the cih engine has id rather spend the money on an improvement engine swap I think.  But I’ll have a think and see what’s best. An engine swap sounds like a lot of hassle I’ve not really got time for. 

there should be something stamped . if its not P2E than it may say xr2 or similar .am surprised its not unleaded for 85 thou! 

yes the valve seat job sounds cheap enough ( i paid £200) a few years back on a viva head) 

but definately better with a proper gm converted one if you can