dolphin grey GTE hatch just on EBay  Reg E101 RFD

dolphin grey GTE hatch just on EBay   Reg E101 RFD

I'm going to see this car tomorrow.

The owner says  the previous owner was a member of The Opel Manta Owners Club. Is that right? Does anybody in the Club recognise this car? if so could you let me have a bit of background on the car before I see it tomorrow 06/12/20.

Many thanks.

Regards

David

It's certainly familiar. Seen plenty photos of it in the past. Very nice it looks too in Dolphin Grey. Top money for a Hatch. Registered Jan 88.

Looking at the MOT history, it had a lot of work done back in 2017.

Ebay link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OPEL-MANTA-GTE-1988-Dolphin-Grey/174545172629?hash=item28a3b3f895:g:GsUAAOSw5JdfyiHl

Hi Danny,

If you don't mind me asking what things did you change to try to sort out the running issues?

Looking at the pictures on here it might suggest you suspected a head gasket was the problem as you've had the head off and skimmed it.

The vendor says it had running issues but is now fine after he replaced the ECU? Did you not try that?

Many thanks.

Regards

David

I think this hatch is a good buy especially in view of the build thread which gives a lot of info on the work carried out on the car by Danny.

If the car had been sold back in July with the running issue sorted then i reckon it could have sold for £6000.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay & i would be prepared to pay to pay around £6500 for this car because if i had to sell it on i reckon i wouldn't lose money on it.

ECU issues are becoming more common on Manta GTE's partly down to water ingress & dry solder joints plus component failure such as leaky capacitors.

When you view the car please report back on what you think whether you buy the car or not.

Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Graham said:

Hi Danny,

If you don't mind me asking what things did you change to try to sort out the running issues?

Looking at the pictures on here it might suggest you suspected a head gasket was the problem as you've had the head off and skimmed it.

The vendor says it had running issues but is now fine after he replaced the ECU? Did you not try that?

Many thanks.

Regards

David

Being honest the list was very long I tried a couple of known ecu’s on it along with any other possible part it could be (you name it, it had 2-3 different ones fitted). 
I was very glad to get shut of it, it was built as an everyday car so not concours and £8k I think is too much by some margin. 

good luck. 

1 hour ago, Rapierdave said:

I think this hatch is a good buy especially in view of the build thread which gives a lot of info on the work carried out on the car by Danny.

If the car had been sold back in July with the running issue sorted then i reckon it could have sold for £6000.

A car is worth what someone is willing to pay & i would be prepared to pay to pay around £6500 for this car because if i had to sell it on i reckon i wouldn't lose money on it.

ECU issues are becoming more common on Manta GTE's partly down to water ingress & dry solder joints plus component failure such as leaky capacitors.

When you view the car please report back on what you think whether you buy the car or not.

Good luck.

Thanks Danny and Dave, I really appreciate your feedback. I was just checking on the MOT history on Gov.UK and Danny you really did go through a lot to get the MOT. I see there were a lot of structural issues which I assume you rectified when it was repainted? Also some electrical gremlins I see. Incidentally, even if the colour was wrong both the exterior and the interior look good from the photos. As a matter of interest did the sun hatch open when you last sold it? Obviously there are more options with engine problems than structural ones which can be terminal. So really bad outcome could be engine rebuild and re looming, .... gulp  😓   but I'll go over it thoroughly tomorrow and report what i decide to do. As with all classic cars there is always a chance  of finding something you didn't bargain for so if i make an offer it will reflect that. Thanks again David 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, David Graham said:

Thanks Danny and Dave, I really appreciate your feedback. I was just checking on the MOT history on Gov.UK and Danny you really did go through a lot to get the MOT. I see there were a lot of structural issues which I assume you rectified when it was repainted? Also some electrical gremlins I see. Incidentally, even if the colour was wrong both the exterior and the interior look good from the photos. As a matter of interest did the sun hatch open when you last sold it? Obviously there are more options with engine problems than structural ones which can be terminal. So really bad outcome could be engine rebuild and re looming, .... gulp  😓   but I'll go over it thoroughly tomorrow and report what i decide to do. As with all classic cars there is always a chance  of finding something you didn't bargain for so if i make an offer it will reflect that. Thanks again David 

Will you be joining the club? If so read on 🙂

Not sure if you can see pics, but if you have your heart on a coupe have a look in my build thread. Strongly thinking I will sell as 4 projects on the go this is nearly done and 1 too many I guess. I still have A few things to finish off, but it's 99% and a low miles/owners car that could do to go to an enthusiast to mint. It will be a good chunk more than the hatch though, and I am still only 90% about selling...🤔

37 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Will you be joining the club? If so read on 🙂

Not sure if you can see pics, but if you have your heart on a coupe have a look in my build thread. Strongly thinking I will sell as 4 projects on the go this is nearly done and 1 too many I guess. I still have A few things to finish off, but it's 99% and a low miles/owners car that could do to go to an enthusiast to mint. It will be a good chunk more than the hatch though, and I am still only 90% about selling...🤔

Hello again. I am already a Member of the Club and thanks for letting me know about your car which may be available , but if I buy a Coupe it will have to be a GTE or GTE Exclusive. Thanks David 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 18:05, Danny D114BCW said:

I changed a lot of stuff with no joy. Me, Rutter and Andy Abbott were all head scratching. 

Good riddance  - I will stick with my coupe 

Just a note I was baptised not spat on. 

• Haha 3

On 05/12/2020 at 22:29, David Graham said:

Hello again. I am already a Member of the Club and thanks for letting me know about your car which may be available , but if I buy a Coupe it will have to be a GTE or GTE Exclusive. Thanks David 

How did you get on with the viewing?

Hi Chris,

Well to tell you the truth circumstances stopped me from viewing in person, but I did have it inspected. Whilst work was done to get the MOT back in June there remains extensive corrosion throughout, particularly the chassis rails where they meet the body, some localised holes in the tub floor, a leaky diff, an engine oil leak,  poor paintwork down both the offside and nearside, defective headlights and corrosion behind the sunroof hatch. Nonetheless, if I could agree a fair price I might yet acquire the vehicle. Kind regards David

• Like 1

Extensive corrosion? I would like to see that report. 

like I said I think the price is way too high. It was built as a presentable everyday car. Never concours. Sounds like he hasn’t done anything to the car since he bought it (I listed what needed doing) and has tried to make a good profit. 

good luck with your hunt. 

Hi all, this is my car, purchased from Danny listed as “spares or repair” at the time which I thought was a bit harsh but obviously I took the gamble that others didn’t.

David was supposed to view the car on the 6th of December at 2.30pm, waited in and after many text messages asking questions and haggling on price he didn’t turn up. We then agreed a price which he was happy and him supposedly coming to view it at 2.30pm on Friday 14th which I made myself available for.

He then contacted me the night before and said he would be with me for 12pm on Friday not the 2.30 we agreed, I said I was working so he informed me I needed to make sure someone would be in to hand him the keys so he could take it out (very presumptuous when its someone else’s property). I moved some meetings to accommodate him. He then rang me mid Friday morning saying he had set off but his son’s car had broken down so he had to turn round to help him and so he would come at 1pm on the Saturday. He then sent me a message saying he had booked it in at a local garage for 3pm that afternoon (Friday) to have it inspected, again I had to move things to accommodate his requests and take it.

Took it to the garage, they inspected it, the mechanic (who I know) said I don’t think he’s going to buy it he’s talking like he wants something mint, David then text me saying that the floor repairs (done previously by someone else) had been plated from above and they needed “strengthening” by welding plates from below (I’ve never double plated a repair as I consider it a water trap), and it was heavily corroded and various other things like the paint wasn’t perfect in places, he then said it needed £3500 worth of repairs? I rang the garage to ask about the welding and they had a different version of the conversation saying it just needed surface cleaning and sealing from below (as per Danny’s suggestion).

Anyway I’ve only ever said this car is a good usable classic not perfect, its not about me trying to make a tidy profit. Although I’ve had some good use out of it during the summer its just going to stand this winter. So its either sell at a price I would be happy with based on other worse examples I’ve seen or store it for the winter, I’m not fussed either way. David could have looked at it and if its not for him walked away, even though he’s saying on here its heavily corroded (and Danny will confirm it wasn’t in July) he’s still texting me telling me he wants it but it needs to be cheaper? (Why if its so rubbish?) and that I’ll just be dealing with tyre kickers if I don’t agree to his terms. In total he has sent me 103 (that’s not a typo) what’s app messages to my own phone and 16 text messages to my work phone, even texting me on my work phone whilst I am working asking me why I hadn’t promptly replied to a message sent to my personal phone 30 mins earlier? Never come across anything like it to be honest, sending me pics of mint etype Jags he’s owned like thats relevant and all sort of other ramble which I entertained as I thought he must be interested. All of the above is true so please take this into consideration if he’s interested in your car, at the end of the day he’s not actually seen the car himself which speaks volumes, my view with buying is turn up when you say you will to be respectful of others time and either like it or leave it.

Anyway I’m sure he’s going to randomly appear again soon like Timothy Claypole with some more comments so If anyone is genuinely interested in the car then come and view it, do some haggling, I’ll make you a cup of tea, I’m a decent guy and we have some good test roads round here in the Peak District. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, 391JON said:

Hi all, this is my car, purchased from Danny listed as “spares or repair” at the time which I thought was a bit harsh but obviously I took the gamble that others didn’t.

David was supposed to view the car on the 6th of December at 2.30pm, waited in and after many text messages asking questions and haggling on price he didn’t turn up. We then agreed a price which he was happy and him supposedly coming to view it at 2.30pm on Friday 14th which I made myself available for.

He then contacted me the night before and said he would be with me for 12pm on Friday not the 2.30 we agreed, I said I was working so he informed me I needed to make sure someone would be in to hand him the keys so he could take it out (very presumptuous when its someone else’s property). I moved some meetings to accommodate him. He then rang me mid Friday morning saying he had set off but his son’s car had broken down so he had to turn round to help him and so he would come at 1pm on the Saturday. He then sent me a message saying he had booked it in at a local garage for 3pm that afternoon (Friday) to have it inspected, again I had to move things to accommodate his requests and take it.

Took it to the garage, they inspected it, the mechanic (who I know) said I don’t think he’s going to buy it he’s talking like he wants something mint, David then text me saying that the floor repairs (done previously by someone else) had been plated from above and they needed “strengthening” by welding plates from below (I’ve never double plated a repair as I consider it a water trap), and it was heavily corroded and various other things like the paint wasn’t perfect in places, he then said it needed £3500 worth of repairs? I rang the garage to ask about the welding and they had a different version of the conversation saying it just needed surface cleaning and sealing from below (as per Danny’s suggestion).

Anyway I’ve only ever said this car is a good usable classic not perfect, its not about me trying to make a tidy profit. Although I’ve had some good use out of it during the summer its just going to stand this winter. So its either sell at a price I would be happy with based on other worse examples I’ve seen or store it for the winter, I’m not fussed either way. David could have looked at it and if its not for him walked away, even though he’s saying on here its heavily corroded (and Danny will confirm it wasn’t in July) he’s still texting me telling me he wants it but it needs to be cheaper? (Why if its so rubbish?) and that I’ll just be dealing with tyre kickers if I don’t agree to his terms. In total he has sent me 103 (that’s not a typo) what’s app messages to my own phone and 16 text messages to my work phone, even texting me on my work phone whilst I am working asking me why I hadn’t promptly replied to a message sent to my personal phone 30 mins earlier? Never come across anything like it to be honest, sending me pics of mint etype Jags he’s owned like thats relevant and all sort of other ramble which I entertained as I thought he must be interested. All of the above is true so please take this into consideration if he’s interested in your car, at the end of the day he’s not actually seen the car himself which speaks volumes, my view with buying is turn up when you say you will to be respectful of others time and either like it or leave it.

Anyway I’m sure he’s going to randomly appear again soon like Timothy Claypole with some more comments so If anyone is genuinely interested in the car then come and view it, do some haggling, I’ll make you a cup of tea, I’m a decent guy and we have some good test roads round here in the Peak District. 

Good luck with the sale. I was very shocked to hear many aspects of that report and wondered if you had swapped the plates!? 🙂

Its a good solid, honest car and like it has been mentioned when I sold it and now - it has surface rust from storage and isn't painted so people see what they’re buying. 

glad you sorted the running issue (I changed pretty much everything) and hope it finds a forever owner who can iron out the small and minor issues. 

P.S - the seller Jon from my experience is a very genuine person and never messed me about etc. 

• Like 1