dolphin grey GTE hatch just on EBay  Reg E101 RFD

53 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I had three on it (out of working cars) 

I'll stick to my carburettor cars, seriously though this could be the killer for "newer" classic cars. The lack of ability to repair ECU's & when the computer cannot read the ancient software installed on a given car. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rapierdave said:

I'll stick to my carburettor cars, seriously though this could be the killer for "newer" classic cars. The lack of ability to repair ECU's & when the computer cannot read the ancient software installed on a given car. 

It had ecu’s fitted out of working cars and still sweet fa. It was a nightmare and glad it went when it did. You name it - it had 2/3 off working cars. 💩

That flags a big question, are all ecu compatible? Xe ecus are different, only problem i had with my first manta gte was ecu, once when i washed it, a night in the drying cupboard, ecu, not the car, and cured. Then wrapped in plastic. Seems Opel planned for this, as if i remember collectly, the are plastic flaps somewhere around the ecu area. 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

That flags a big question, are all ecu compatible? Xe ecus are different, only problem i had with my first manta gte was ecu, once when i washed it, a night in the drying cupboard, ecu, not the car, and cured. Then wrapped in plastic. Seems Opel planned for this, as if i remember collectly, the are plastic flaps somewhere around the ecu area. 

It had three ecu’s on it (same part number) the earlier cars (A, B & some C reg) cars had a different ‘programmed Ecu which made them run richer - but they still run!

23 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

This might be the case for newer nearly-classics but the GTE  LE jetronic control module doesn’t have software as such. It’s an analogue unit.  Sadly Bosch didn’t leave identifiable numbers on the main integrated circuit on a couple I’ve had in bits or I’d have tried swapping out the silicone to see. 
As far as the unit as a whole goes, we don’t have the info suitably presented to make it easy to systematically prove or disprove the elements. I’ve gathered a number of articles but haven’t tried to summarise into a manta-esque flowchart. There are still enough “ecu’s” around that nobody is stuck yet. 
I do wonder whether folks would rather look at a diy thing based on something like a raspberry pie or update to a modern aftermarket system with accurate timing & sensors. I guess time will tell. 
Another member was talking about alternative systems earlier this year  but seems to be busy with more pressing mods to his cars. 

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

This might be the case for newer nearly-classics but the GTE  LE jetronic control module doesn’t have software as such. It’s an analogue unit.  Sadly Bosch didn’t leave identifiable numbers on the main integrated circuit on a couple I’ve had in bits or I’d have tried swapping out the silicone to see. 
As far as the unit as a whole goes, we don’t have the info suitably presented to make it easy to systematically prove or disprove the elements. I’ve gathered a number of articles but haven’t tried to summarise into a manta-esque flowchart. There are still enough “ecu’s” around that nobody is stuck yet. 
I do wonder whether folks would rather look at a diy thing based on something like a raspberry pie or update to a modern aftermarket system with accurate timing & sensors. I guess time will tell. 
Another member was talking about alternative systems earlier this year  but seems to be busy with more pressing mods to his cars. 

Absolutely, it's just an injection pulse modified with analogue inputs. There are other cars that we could pinch a LE ecu off, but no guarantee it would be any better condition.
Side note: We once run (~1997) a Peugeot 1.9GTI off a Manta GTE ecu, LE2 plug was the same, it removed the rev limited and seemed to pick up a bit better 🤯 it was not a very scientific test, but as my GTE ECU was sat there my mate just plugged it in to see what would it do lol . Was no really big supplies anyway as the LE and LE2 are very similar. So that means that possibly the LE2 could be also made to work on the manta, but some parts would be obsolete.

However, You would expect that any LE1 4pot/2.0 engine ecu should be very close in fuelling characteristics, as the same Bosch parts are used on multiple makes/models, so that is what I would start looking at first. Just need to stay away from L-jetronic as that has a slightly different method for fuel pump control.

I fitted a Remanufactured Lucas ECU to my Manta at the same time when I totally stripped and rebuilt my 2.0E Cih  so that I knew both engine and ECU were working properly and as new as I could get them. Now my Manta runs faultless with this ECU, responsive through the gears, no lags or spluttering, no issues starting and emissions for MOT passed no problem.

is this remanufactured Lucas part the solution for older faulty Bosch ECU’s?

I still keep my working original Bosch ECU just in case.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I fitted a Remanufactured Lucas ECU to my Manta at the same time when I totally stripped and rebuilt my 2.0E Cih  so that I knew both engine and ECU were working properly and as new as I could get them. Now my Manta runs faultless with this ECU, responsive through the gears, no lags or spluttering, no issues starting and emissions for MOT passed no problem.

is this remanufactured Lucas part the solution for older faulty Bosch ECU’s?

I still keep my working original Bosch ECU just in case.

Do you know when the Lucas unit was produced?

On 13/12/2020 at 17:11, Danny D114BCW said:

Extensive corrosion? I would like to see that report. 

like I said I think the price is way too high. It was built as a presentable everyday car. Never concours. Sounds like he hasn’t done anything to the car since he bought it (I listed what needed doing) and has tried to make a good profit. 

good luck with your hunt. 

Well if I wasn't serious about the car and excepting a family emergency on my way up to see it then I wonder why I spent good money on an HPI report and an inspection from a local garage. Obviously the garage is more likely to see the owner again rather than me and would no doubt bear that in mind when talking to the owner. I am szurely not expecting a concours car lol..... having owned many classic cars. It is a car with potential as I have said to the owner. Its just that the price is wrong. With regard to showing him my other classics this was because he commented  words to the effect' if you follow that classic car market like I do then you would buy the car at the asking price' ..... well having received such a  condescending remark, clearly I had to display my own credentials with regard to classic cars as a genuine enthusiast like he is who does indeed follow the market, including Opel Manta's. 🙂 to conclude I would still buy it if the price was right. Kind regards  all David

• Like 2