Hello from Ireland...

Fatchops

Hello all, after many years just hovering on the site I've decided to sign up with the intention of getting back into Manta's.

Way way back in 1992 (or 1991 maybe) I purchased a black GTE hatch, C533 DYX. I've never gotten over that car or Manta's since. I was 18 and I thought I was the business.

Move on too many years and now I'm looking at these beauties again. It will be a massive indulgence but I can't get my head turned. So hopefully at some stage in the near future I will be driving one of these magnificent cars again.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you may offer.

Also please accept my thoughts to you all on the passing of your friend. May he RIP.

• Like 4

Hi and welcome,

There has been some great condition Manta’s for sale recently on classic car auction sites, e bay and this forum. Coupes in particular but hatches as well but to a lesser degree, and if in good condition have seen rises in sales value, this has had a knock on effect with project prices as well, pushing them up. The 80’s sports cars seem to be very popular at the moment.
What are you looking for in a Manta?  Coupe or hatch? a Manta in great condition ready to drive, or a project?

Manta’s are quite scarce now, thin on the ground, just look at the DVLA website How Many Left and there are very few road taxed, quite a few SORN, but there are always a few advertised for sale, just keep looking regularly. Rust issues are a big issue with the Manta and project’s seem to be getting bigger and bigger as time goes on and rust eats away, more welding, structural repairs etc, just look through the forums My Project section and you will see what the Manta owners get up to, it really is brilliant what can be done or saved now. Replacement panels can be sourced from Klockerholm, missing trim from the for sale section, e bay, edelschmiede Germany etc. Wanted adds can help with sourcing a Manta or Parts. 

Good luck in your search.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Welcome to the forums and the joys of a Manta ownership (in the future) 🍻

Thanks a million, I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm letting myself in for !

8 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Hi and welcome,

There has been some great condition Manta’s for sale recently on classic car auction sites, e bay and this forum. Coupes in particular but hatches as well but to a lesser degree, and if in good condition have seen rises in sales value, this has had a knock on effect with project prices as well, pushing them up. The 80’s sports cars seem to be very popular at the moment.
What are you looking for in a Manta?  Coupe or hatch? a Manta in great condition ready to drive, or a project?

Manta’s are quite scarce now, thin on the ground, just look at the DVLA website How Many Left and there are very few road taxed, quite a few SORN, but there are always a few advertised for sale, just keep looking regularly. Rust issues are a big issue with the Manta and project’s seem to be getting bigger and bigger as time goes on and rust eats away, more welding, structural repairs etc, just look through the forums My Project section and you will see what the Manta owners get up to, it really is brilliant what can be done or saved now. Replacement panels can be sourced from Klockerholm, missing trim from the for sale section, e bay, edelschmiede Germany etc. Wanted adds can help with sourcing a Manta or Parts. 

Good luck in your search.

Cheers for the welcome. 

I'm not overly dead set on a coupe or hatch, something that needs a little work or is good to go. I suppose I know I'm not ready for a huge project. 

Obviously they are thin on the ground as you say, there is one for sale over in Kerry at the minute, but we are subject to restrictions between counties so I can't do anything at the moment.

The posts on here are brilliant, I'm really excited to be back even talking about Manta's, I adored mine.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, chrisb said:

Welcome to the club, I hope you find what your looking for and enjoy a Manta again, They really are a great car and one you rarely see on the road these days.

Thanks Chris, I'm really buzzing even talking about them again. I happened upon a very sorry looking Manta about 6 weeks ago in a field with not much left of it, but even in that state I was all over it.

My brother had one as well, so between us we've never gotten over our love for them.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. 

I’ve seen there’s a red hatchback currently for sale in Ireland that might be right up your street. Can’t remember what site it’s advertised on though. Yes mantas are getting scarce in the UK, there’s probably more mantas in Ireland now than over here on the mainland! Good luck with getting one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

Welcome to the club. 

I’ve seen there’s a red hatchback currently for sale in Ireland that might be right up your street. Can’t remember what site it’s advertised on though. Yes mantas are getting scarce in the UK, there’s probably more mantas in Ireland now than over here on the mainland! Good luck with getting one. 

Cheers for the welcome. The red one is over in the West, it has definitely been brought in from the UK at some stage. I can't make out the reg off any of the documents. 

We're under local restrictions until the 18th and I won't be in a position to go before Christmas. If it's still available I may enquire on it.

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Welcome, can't help you with a Manta cause they are all LHD over here😁. Succes with the search.

Thanks for that, hopefully in 2021 about 30 years on from my first Manta I might get my second 🤞

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Hi Kieran,

My mate sent me this last night. I’m not on Facebook so couldn’t investigate any further. It’s a hatch but you say you’re happy to swing either way.

Have you seen it and what do you recon?

20207495-033F-4C1C-9941-1710E032515D.jpeg

Jonathan, cheers for that. Yes, I had seen that for sale, it looks a beauty and is a credit to it's owner. 

It's styling is not really for me, but again is lovely overall.

7 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Welcome to the club. 

I think its on Donedeal sutty.

• Like 1

Welcome along, dont wait around too long, the values are rising and rising. I would advise, bite the bullet and go for the best condition car, dont be tempted with a few quid off, and it only needs a few bits of welding, but if you are into that kinda thing, your in the right place, plenty of guidance and advise.

A project that is say 5k cheaper, that 5k can quickly disappear. A project can be anything from 5k to 10k, moving way from projects 10k to 30k, depending on your wants, needs and preferences.

There is a white hatch on donedeal, think it has compomotives on, and maybe xe vauxhall redtop ! Think its in Co. Cork, eire.

Cork has a big following for mantas, and old opels, and is the mainland of opels.  

If serious i would contact sellers and ask them for a list of photos if you are restricted on movement, at least they know you are 100% interested. 

Taken you've owned em before, you know the bad bits, the highs on lows, and the ones you try to avoid.

Good luck with your search, my chase would be on that white hatch!

• Like 1