1978 auto

Needs swan necks and chassis rails, seller seems an honest sort- says he's going to get it running tomorrow. It's probably only an hour from me, going to keep an eye on the price, it's a lot like my first manta with the added feature of the auto box meaning the Mrs and I could have a Manta each 🤣 I could squeeze 2 in the garage if I clear out all the crap 🙄 

• Like 4

My first was a 79 auto Berlinetta coupe in beige with a black vinyl roof 😎 Took over the 3years to get it where I wanted it, but loved the 2slot front panel over the later one. Changed it to a 4speed manual first when it tore its converter drive plate to bits 🤯

i do love a saphire blue B series, to me it just looks the perfect colour for the shape.

I so wish i had kept this one a couple of years ago, but if i had i wouldnt have my Exclusive back. Oh to have lots of money and a big garage. Lol.

20180207_124936 (1).jpg

20180207_124915 (1).jpg

20180207_124852.jpg

• Like 5

Would make a nice project, 5sp convert, or 400r or original, cheap entry into world of mantas, heck even make a exclusive replica, which really is an upgrade, to cash in! Only issue woyldbe how well that roof vinyl held moisture to root the roof skin?

Either way, can be bad at that price, a project is a project after all and id rather be in a project at 1k opposed to 10k.

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Would make a nice project, 5sp convert, or 400r or original, cheap entry into world of mantas, heck even make a exclusive replica, which really is an upgrade, to cash in!

Or even better, leave it original! 🙂 Not sure an 'Exclusive replica' would be worth the effort. Original would probably be worth more too, if it mattered.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Needs a roof skin or repair the gaffa tape as suspected is covering a hole, it's well worth saving though.

At 1254 reserve not met, what do we think it's worth? I was thinking 1500 tops really with the roof. Or am I a bit light there? 

I think £1500 is very top end. 

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

Or even better, leave it original! 🙂 Not sure an 'Exclusive replica' would be worth the effort. Original would probably be worth more too, if it mattered.

You would think so, but reality is it isn’t worth more original sadly. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2020 at 19:54, TheRealExile said:

Same it just looks right in that colour.

Yes. It seams like every car available since 2015 is either black, grey, silver or white. 

you look at today’s traffic, car park, McDonald’s drive through and see how many are those 4 boring colours. 

give me the good old days when blue, brown, yellow, red, green, gold, bronze etc were everywhere! 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Yes. It seams like every car available since 2015 is either black, grey, silver or white. 

you look at today’s traffic, car park, McDonald’s drive through and see how many are those 4 boring colours. 

give me the good old days when blue, brown, yellow, red, green, gold, bronze etc were everywhere! 

It’s been depressingly bland for a lot more than 5 years. You prompted me to have a quick search

image.thumb.png.063b3f37edf671003cd57b0de74ad8ad.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Trooker said:

It’s been depressingly bland for a lot more than 5 years. You prompted me to have a quick search

image.thumb.png.063b3f37edf671003cd57b0de74ad8ad.png

That's rather interesting, but deffinitely correct about the black grey and white. Although mine is silver metallic so I probably fit into these 🙈

• Like 1

local guy used to have a manta that blue colour it had every bolt on extra you could get rear window louvre rear infill panel between the lights  ect and a rover v8 that had been really nicely done looked factory he may well of been a member here as he was a real enthusiast howard his name was sold for i think a grand but i had just bought a project at 3k and i didnt have the spare cash

Edited by stumpy

4 hours ago, stumpy said:

local guy used to have a manta that blue colour it had every bolt on extra you could get rear window louvre rear infill panel between the lights  ect and a rover v8 that had been really nicely done looked factory he may well of been a member here as he was a real enthusiast howard his name was sold for i think a grand but i had just bought a project at 3k and i didnt have the spare cash

Yep Howard & his V8 Manta, here's a pic i took at the Tredegar House show back in 2010 

Image068.thumb.jpg.7abf6f1a81baffa2a87f5171b16d7e67.jpg

• Like 5

thats the one lovely isnt it ...he only lives down the road from me i think his family run a local car spares place i was gutted as i would have snapped that up in a heart beat.. i think it needed a bit of welding underneath when he sold it.. i saw it in aberdare park classic car show probably the same year or there abouts
ime not sure but  i think its still localish at least thats what i heard that someone local had bought it   hope so and if it ever comes up i would have it

Edited by stumpy

Wonder what the front spoiler was on the V8 manta above, can picture it on anything?  A TEAM VAN?

that colour chart above, is that green in the top 4, for few years, where did they get that info from, who makes green cars? Only seen a handful of green cars in my life, did everyone drive a green rs focus in early 2000? Maybe they counted wheelie bins on google earth?

Back in 1978 when the Cavvy Sports Hatch was launched there were 11 colours available, 8 solid colours and 3 extra cost metallic.

Polar White, Jamaica Yellow, Orange Tan, Bright Green, Ember Red, Royal Red, Pastel Blue, Regatta Blue, Jade Green Met, Sapphire Blue met and Bright Copper met.

In 2015 when I bought my Astra K, there were 12 colours available, but only 2 were no cost options.

Royal Blue, Power Red, Brilliant Summit White, Sovereign Silver met, Granite Grey met, Flip Chip Silver met, Carbon Flash met, Deep Sky Blue met, Soft Bronze met, Dark Caramel met, Asteroid Grey pearl and Emerald Green pearl. 

No silver or grey in 1978 to 2 silvers, two greys and a near black in 2015. Obviously they are catering to the colours people want though, so maybe blame the car buying public for the fact they are all silver/grey these days (I chose Power Red as I was too tight to pay extra, but wouldn't have bought silver). I don't personally get the solid grey colour that is popular now, but I know some here like it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

That's rather interesting, but deffinitely correct about the black grey and white. Although mine is silver metallic so I probably fit into these 🙈

I can’t say much, my manta is black but should be white. Ah well 😊

• Haha 1