B550 OPR up for sale again. Yours for £14K!

Nevermind the ride height at the rear that pea shooter tail pipe needs to go aswell....very nice example i do remember it from the club/projects page,however my fave hatch is A666 MFC

the ex Karen Morris club car,was half thinking about buying it myself...but i'm afraid i'm a coupe man at heart🤑😎👍

47 minutes ago, David Graham said:

Thanks very much for the info on this car Martin, it does look very good. The price seems a bit strong though for a hatch although it looks to be one of the best out there. What would you pay for it now? Regards David 

Indeed it does. Possibly one of the nicest restored GTE hatches around at the moment.

As to how much I would pay, that's an interesting question. I was very tempted when it was originally up for sale at £6500 18-months ago. As you can see it went to Ireland and was subsequently for sale again at £9500 and then £8000. I didn't sell at either price. It was then up for auction and didn't sell, but it appears it sold in the Car & Classic ad below at circa £11K which might explain the current asking price.

In the real world, it's probably worth £7500 but prices have been going up, not helped by all the recent media hype about classic cars being a good investment. Had it been a Coupe, it might well be worth the current asking price, given it's immaculate.

The current ad in Classic Car Buyer states that lots of recent detail work has been carried out so should be immaculate. There was some paint cracking on the rear spoiler previously. An offer of £12500 might get it if you are keen.

https://www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/events/2020-auctions/cca-september-live-online-auction-2020/cca-september-live-online-auction-2020/classic-car-sale-19th-september-2020-from-11am/1984-opel-manta-gte?fbclid=IwAR3qkAFejFHAbQ3Rhz_Xa3ojAk0kjjU8qdBfmO2yi4qVTE_DLsmxybJrxB0

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1268508?fbclid=IwAR2JmX_x_NxS39Ml0YeBty8lpTx81fEqxRFJ6WFEYQ2cCsrnw0_e23UEUBE 

B550OPR.jpg

1 hour ago, David Graham said:

It looks nice although I see it has no wash wipe or sunroof, the latter probably due to corrosion. Do you know the car? Regards David

The sunroof was optional at that time. It only became standard fitment on 86/87/88MY cars. As you can read in the build thread there was some debate about refitting the headlamp wash/wipe but decided not to. A pity in my opinion.

Good question for a manta novice regarding headlights, think all where glass rectangle type until 85 or 86 when sunroofs where available, part of the final run. Then moved to exclusives that where standard sunroofs and quads, this isnt writren in stone, as gsi of the same spec in the euro market could be got with glass type lights.

As for classic manta prices, projects are scarce, and command a price, one of the mill cars are prices, if you find a real good one jump, as they wont get any cheaper. They are so rare, and rarely seen for sale, but surprisingly they do stand there prices and are rarely given away.

15 hours ago, David Graham said:

Dear Martin,

Thanks for a very informative reply to my question. All my Mantas in the 80s had a sunroof so perhaps that's why I thought this one should lol. As for wash wipe headlights is it still possible to source these?

If not what about twin headlamps instead?

Thanks again

Regards David

Twin headlights sets come up for sale fairly regularly. Wiper sets also if not so often. Given how many Manta's were converted to twin rounds over the years there should be plenty lying around gathering dust unless binned. You would also need the plumbing. It may be still fitted to B550 OPR.

Note that all GTE's came with the larger squarish washer bottle, whereas Exclusive's and non wiper models (GT/J's & GT's) came with the smaller round washer bottle.

13 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Good question for a manta novice regarding headlights, think all where glass rectangle type until 85 or 86 when sunroofs where available, part of the final run. Then moved to exclusives that where standard sunroofs and quads, this isnt writren in stone, as gsi of the same spec in the euro market could be got with glass type lights.

All GTE's were fitted with square lights with wipers throughout the production run 83~87. All the Exclusive's came with twin rounds.

Euro spec GSi's came with squares but most didn't have the wipers fitted apart from some of the Scandanavian markets. GSi Exclusive's came with twin rounds, however again those for the Scandanvian market had square lights with wipers as far as I recall.

On 19/12/2020 at 10:40, evo3000 said:

Nevermind the ride height at the rear that pea shooter tail pipe needs to go aswell....very nice example i do remember it from the club/projects page,however my fave hatch is A666 MFC

the ex Karen Morris club car,was half thinking about buying it myself...but i'm afraid i'm a coupe man at heart🤑😎👍

A666 MFC was my old car, originally owned by Annie Norris.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I do feel that it’s a reflection that both coupe and hatch are now both desirable if in first class condition, the hard work having been done. They now survive in limited numbers and again this is another factor pushing good sales prices.......... eventually our Manta’s getting the recognition they deserve and closing the gap with the rival Ford Capri.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

I do feel that it’s a reflection that both coupe and hatch are now both desirable if in first class condition, the hard work having been done. They now survive in limited numbers and again this is another factor pushing good sales prices.......... eventually our Manta’s getting the recognition they deserve and closing the gap with the rival Ford Capri.

I feel the gap has pretty much closed now between a nice GTE or Exclusive coupe and a Capri (other than a mint 280) or at an all time small margin now.

I sat and watched the Exclusive coupe go through Anglia car auctions live and it outsold 2 nice 3.0s capris by a good margin.

• Like 4