Fitting a tracker, yes or no??

How about a secret switch, something that cuts the power, no ignition at all.

Modern mobile phones can be used as a tracker, all you need is a sim, tracker able phone, and to keep it in battery! Not sure if it outways a tracker, but essentially the same kit. 

Once seen a bar locking all three pedals, locked with a sturdy pad lock. Brake pedal was locked on, gassy pedal was above bar, couldnt be pressed, and then bar was supported to floor. 

A 3ft metal bar in the boot helps, to take wheel nuts off, of course!

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

How about a secret switch, something that cuts the power, no ignition at all.

Modern mobile phones can be used as a tracker, all you need is a sim, tracker able phone, and to keep it in battery! Not sure if it outways a tracker, but essentially the same kit. 

Once seen a bar locking all three pedals, locked with a sturdy pad lock. Brake pedal was locked on, gassy pedal was above bar, couldnt be pressed, and then bar was supported to floor. 

A 3ft metal bar in the boot helps, to take wheel nuts off, of course!

I did think about the disabling option but wasn't too sure how effective that would be these days as they seem to be more likely to try and pinch the whole car with classic cars rather than just nick it for a joy ride!

44 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Automatrics M track I was looking at on YouTube.

Wow, just shows how good those trackers can be, but also that they know those fancy cars will have one as it sounds like the Audi had the tracker removed! I figure for the few hundred quid a year for one its got to be woth having it rather than not having it? Its not much to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Would cost roughly £16 a month.

I was talking about this with a friend and he was saying would you want your car back after it had been found in a lock up all stripped? would it ever be the same again? My answer was if you’re talking about modern cars, BMW M2,3,5 Audi RS5, or other high end motors, with all the electronics in them, 4 wheel drive systems, launch control etc it may never be the same again. So for a modern car i would rather have a replacement from the insurance. But in the classic cars like the Manta, most of them have been stripped and rebuilt for the restoration, no fancy electronics etc so in a classic car scenario I would rather have it back as the insurance would not find it easy to buy you a direct replacement, parts could still be sourced and car re built again.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Would cost roughly £16 a month.

I was talking about this with a friend and he was saying would you want your car back after it had been found in a lock up all stripped? would it ever be the same again? My answer was if you’re talking about modern cars, BMW M2,3,5 Audi RS5, or other high end motors, with all the electronics in them, 4 wheel drive systems, launch control etc it may never be the same again. So for a modern car i would rather have a replacement from the insurance. But in the classic cars like the Manta, most of them have been stripped and rebuilt for the restoration, no fancy electronics etc so in a classic car scenario I would rather have it back as the insurance would not find it easy to buy you a direct replacement, parts could still be sourced and car re built again.

Exactly what i was thinking. Took me over 10 years to build this one, so not doing another one!!

They must make the money on stripping body kit, interior, engine, box etc.. not the sort of thing they would do on a classis of our value, more likely that they would want to change plates  and vin and sell the whole car abroad.

I will do some more looking into it over Christmas as funnily enough i seem to have some spare time this year 🙂

Can you search for the scanners with any bluetooth device, search device, and then send the device to the bottom of the nearest lake.

Always an age old problem, keeping one step ahead of the ones that are one step ahead. 

I like the mad max device, strapped to the fuel tank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Can you search for the scanners with any bluetooth device, search device, and then send the device to the bottom of the nearest lake.

Always an age old problem, keeping one step ahead of the ones that are one step ahead. 

I like the mad max device, strapped to the fuel tank. 

They work over 3/4G not BT

I have a cheap unit in a drawer that I used in a company van to track it whilst I waiting for the professional unit, was very accurate and worked with iretty much any network SIM. It just sends god coordinates via text messages every so many seconds. You can send it commands too via the SIM card phone number.

A bit like this one, but mine is over 5years old.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SpyTrack-Nano-Portable-Personal-Tracking/dp/B01LCQ2KBM/

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

They work over 3/4G not BT

I have a cheap unit in a drawer that I used in a company van to track it whilst I waiting for the professional unit, was very accurate and worked with iretty much any network SIM. It just sends god coordinates via text messages every so many seconds. You can send it commands too via the SIM card phone number.

A bit like this one, but mine is over 5years old.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SpyTrack-Nano-Portable-Personal-Tracking/dp/B01LCQ2KBM/

Interesting stuff. The reviews look good on that Amazon one.

2 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

More like Satan! 

Can these trackers just be turned off, dumped or sent on a wild goose chase.

Any tracker can. New ones use gps and upload via sim data, but the ability to send text commands via sms is useful .

all trackers can be disabled, if they know it's there! Hide it well and obviously it would be harder for the thief. But the caveat to any tracker is there are blockers on the internet to be purchased and if the thief is genuinely is coming to take your car, I doubt a tracker will stop them 😞

When I was thinking about this a great position if the unit is small enough would be behind the cluster. Good access for 12v feed, great line of sieggt for the satellite (foam will hardly stop the signal) and then can't be seen from looking up under the dash easy.

Good spot, yeh know what you mean. 

Once had a car, already wired for kill switch, there was a slighly more visible switch that was wired direct to a two tone air horn! Classic! Of course horns where hidden, and there was something about the way it was wired, if the real kill switch was already activated, the horn switch wouldnt turn off.  Early home built alarm! 

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Good spot, yeh know what you mean. 

Once had a car, already wired for kill switch, there was a slighly more visible switch that was wired direct to a two tone air horn! Classic! Of course horns where hidden, and there was something about the way it was wired, if the real kill switch was already activated, the horn switch wouldnt turn off.  Early home built alarm! 

Sure more would pay attention to that that the usual horn and hazzards