"The Gov" 2nd time around

Vince

Though it was about time I started a thread for the long road ahead.

I've had numerous Manta's back in the 80's and 90's. Started off with a 83 Berlinetta hatch (TOC 80Y wonder what happened to that?), had a 1.8 coupe non sunroof with a 400 kit (soon grew out of that) and finally C419 GOV which was the best car I ever owned. Had this car for a number of years. Loved it. Pampered it. Then life got in the way. Marriage, kids, Mortgage reluctantly the Manta had to go.

The Manta was easy to sell, Mum's partner Kev wanted it. Perfect I thought, I could keep an eye on it and when the time was right buy it back. Sale was agreed with the condition that I had first option to buy it back when it came up for sale again. Deal done.

Then disaster. Mum & Kev split up! Not long after we lost Mum. The car although now a long way down the priority list was gone.

Or so I thought!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Fast forward 25 years,

As I've said I loved that Manta. Toyed with getting another one numerous times, always glancing through Ebay and autotrader but for whatever reason never took the plunge again.

earlier this year for once I looked on Facebook Market place. Up popped an advert for a rough Manta GTE for restoration. The first photo was the front of the car. "Nice Exclusive" I thought seeing the twin lights & red decals. Looked at the second photo which was the rear of the car & nearly fell off my seat. Staring at me was the registration C419 GOV!!! It was my car! Didn't recognise it from the front due to the broken number plate.

Didn't care about the condition had to have the car back.

Then followed what seems like hours of frantic messages & calls finally got hold of the owner. It was Kev, Mum's ex partner. 

Deal done & "The GOV" was mine again. Just the small task of moving the car.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Finally viewing the car (agreed to take the car back unseen) showed up the true horror of the task ahead.

Sitting in the garden for 20 years had taken it's toll.

Not sure why some photo's are uploading upside down. Any idea's ?

Moving the car during a lockdown was fun. No Choice really as Kev was selling the house it had to go. Mind another winter in that garden would have probably finished it off. 

Now tucked up in it's temporary home whilst I source parts.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Look forward to seeing your updates, brilliant that you found your car after all these years.

Thanks,

The task ahead is very scary. The O/S swan neck is non existent

The current stage of the project is the hunt for parts.

Stock is slowly growing but plenty still to find.

Can anyone fix the upside down Photo's & tell me why some are posting this way?

• Like 3

What a great back story! Will keep an eye on the build and if you get stuck for parts I am sure we can all help you find something you to get past been stuck. Great to see these reunited stories, gives me a big silly smile 😀

I still have the log book from my 87 GTE Excl that 'went missing'  but I doubt that will reappear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

What a great back story! Will keep an eye on the build and if you get stuck for parts I am sure we can all help you find something you to get past been stuck. Great to see these reunited stories, gives me a big silly smile 😀

I still have the log book from my 87 GTE Excl that 'went missing'  but I doubt that will reappear.

Thanks 

Replacement inner wings, rear panel & the crossmember under the front seats (highlighted in the picture are difficult to find.

• Like 1

opel parts greece on here has inner wings theyre around the £290 mark each plus post.......my badjust found the messagebit cheaper than i thought... a nose cone around 1100 from germany i think and i may have the x member in mint condition on a shell cut as well as a complete bulkhead/battery tray section

Hello

New full inner wing panels are available in genuine and new at 250GBP per item + delivery costs

If you may not find them local....send pm

Best regards

Anthony

himate thank you very much for the reply  could yuplease get apostage cost for them to be sent to

south wales
united kingdom

Delivery costs for both of them will be:

+113GBP delivered with normal way delivery

or

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

NOS inner wings are available as is front panel, but bloody expensive. That crossmember will need to come from a salvaged car I suspect, and are usually in good condition. 
Let's see how things go when you get started cutting the crud off

Thanks for the tip. Are the sections between the inner wing & nose cone available or do I need to raid a used set?

Still investigating what the car needs. As soon as I get the bonnet finally open (going to have to get brutal with it) and remove the seats / carpets I'll have a better understanding of the task ahead.

• Like 1

That part between nose and inner wings is part of the nose cone, it comes as a complete assembly, I do not even ever seeing and repair sections advertised for them. Usual just sheet steel us cut to make replacement sections (patches if needed). If you get yourself a metal worker leather (sand) bag and bossing mallet you can make nice radius sections very easily ( stretching the steel sheet).

there are a fair few parts that will need to be fabricated, but some are starting to batch run certain repair parts.

i have a complete nose cone here and another that woud be good for sections if you send  pic of what you mean  if you dont fancy making them]  i can  blast them back to clean steel ready for trimming fitting

Edited by stumpy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stumpy said:

i have a complete nose cone here and another that woud be good for sections if you send  pic of what you mean  if you dont fancy making them]  i can  blast them back to clean steel ready for trimming fitting

Thanks.  I'll take some photos when I finally get the bonnet open 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, H-400 said:

Those body panels are normally very expensive, hope you didn't had to grab too deep in your pockets. Succes with the restoration.

Yes very expensive. Didn't help the piggy bank that I had to pay for shipping from Malta to the uk.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1