"The Gov" 2nd time around

Vince

11 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Vince, great story, great project, what a find, would i have my first manta back? No thanks, it was even a exclusive, but been there! Dont wanna do that. 

What did you order parts from Malta? What bits did you get? 

Both rear wings and the rear panel. Chap had them in his garage for nearly 20 years and never used them.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How did the front grill survive when the bonnet is toast, great start on panels collected, good call of removing carpets, interior etc. Needs a good steam hose and strip down to see whats what! Are you considering blasting? 

Im working on a manta project and have come across a few seized bolts, a rag dipped in kerosene, and wrapped around bolt and nut and left to penetrate for a few days helped, shock bolts, suspension arms, chassis bolts etc. 

Goes to prove, parking a car on grass for long periods isnt a great idea! Hardstanding or gravel is best, and an old curtain sider is dirt cheap and 100% waterproof, as a cover, but will destroy paint.

Good luck with repairs. 

11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

How did the front grill survive when the bonnet is toast, great start on panels collected, good call of removing carpets, interior etc. Needs a good steam hose and strip down to see whats what! Are you considering blasting? 

Im working on a manta project and have come across a few seized bolts, a rag dipped in kerosene, and wrapped around bolt and nut and left to penetrate for a few days helped, shock bolts, suspension arms, chassis bolts etc. 

Goes to prove, parking a car on grass for long periods isnt a great idea! Hardstanding or gravel is best, and an old curtain sider is dirt cheap and 100% waterproof, as a cover, but will destroy paint.

Good luck with repairs. 

Thanks.  I don't see much benefit getting it blasted.  Majority of the panels are being replaced anyway.  Goodness knows how the nose cone survived yet the bonnet didn't.  It's very good in some areas and very bad in others.  The car was actually parked on gravel all those years.  The rot seems to be from the inside out. 

• Sad 1

Yeh generally they all go in same areas, but sometimes pieces hang in there, and other unusual prices suffer, seen a few projects on here with bad inner door posts, maybe again from the inside. Thats new to me, havent even experiences outer door post issues. 

As for blasting, cleaning, treatment, and tools, plenty of new products out there, grinder attachments, home blasters, and rust killer treatments. 

Try bilt hamber website. 

Stole an hour over the weekend to tinker on the Manta. Tried turning the engine over but no luck at first. Took the fan belt off (well scraped it off the pully's as it  had rusted on well). Good news, Both water pump and alternator are seized but the engine is free.

Decided to remove the scrap bonnet. Amazingly the bolts on the hinges came out easy. Then decided time to remove the drivers seat. Well that was easy it fell out. Subframe front tube had rotted through (luck I have two new ones).

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

First few horror photo's of the floors. Sorry about the poor pictures. Remember this is the worst side.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Floors are not gonna be good. Think positively, it saves on grinder cutting blades. 

But impossible to find clean existing metal. 

I always look on the positive side.

The roof is good so I'll just start from there and work my way down.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to steal an hour to spend on the Manta.

Managed to get the door step plastic trim off and the rear outer seat bracket off. Lifted the carpets. Not good 😞

Managed to get the rear seat out, after a clean up this is what I found. How did this survive with minimal damage seeing the rear window was missing for so long?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry no further progress on the Manta but that doesn't mean I've been sitting idol.  Finally got the garage built at home and managed to transport my original project home.  Aim is to finish this in 2022 then full attack on the Manta.  I'll see if I can seek this into Sywell in 2023 lol.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/06/2023 at 12:22, Paul Barrett said:

Some lovely fab work there vince

Thanks Paul.  By the end of this thing I might actually be good at fabrication lol. Welding is still a challenge. First time I've done but Welding.  Trying to make all the repairs invisible. 

My bodyshop are so slow I have ended up taking a day off next week to finish the prep for him just to move things along, the idea behind putting it there in the first place was I didn't have the time! Too far down the line to take the car out as he has done the roof bonnet and wings to bare metal and they have a base rustproof primer on them wouldn't know where to start as to how much I'd owe him, might as well crack on and push it over the line.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2023 at 09:30, TheRealExile said:

My bodyshop are so slow I have ended up taking a day off next week to finish the prep for him just to move things along, the idea behind putting it there in the first place was I didn't have the time! Too far down the line to take the car out as he has done the roof bonnet and wings to bare metal and they have a base rustproof primer on them wouldn't know where to start as to how much I'd owe him, might as well crack on and push it over the line.

Mate, the state of bodyshop turn around time's up & down the country is shocking

• Like 1

• 6 months later...