Cavalier MK1 GL Saloon (Automatic)

mepbowles

Progress has been alot slower than I thought but that's preparenting naivety. I'm taking even the smallest of wins right now and waiting for the day she can help me. Until then it's the odd lunch break or weekend afternoon.

My edelschmiede parcel arrive so Ianaged to get the bonnet rubbers installed before realising I should have also bought a rubber fuel filler cap bump too.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then a fun day out in September rummaging through the Cavalier and Chevette club parts bin for a few bits including headrests, door pockets, foglights a few spare bits and pieces. I need to find the time to fit these bits. I also popped over for some wheel arch liners from Danny to add a few more miles to the trip and give me one more reason to polish my wheelarch trim.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The seats I picked up were pretty filthy but the cloth wasnt too worn. A little time with water, carpet cleaner and the wet and dry got them miles better. The upside is the headrests came out great and after I polish the metal legs, they'll be installed the next time I go for drive. 

The door pockets were looking tatty so I resprayed with vinyl dye and fitted but didn't photograph. That's prompted me to touch up the interior brightware escutcheons over the next week or two. The rear seat squab was left to dry out in better weather and got a first pass of the cleaning.

Then I used some newly acquired roofbars to put the cavalier to work carrying some heavy doors for my housework. She took it like a champ but I took two trips to avoid overloading the roof and took it nice and slow.

And then I tried a little investigation into the sudden non working of the heater blower fan which might become more of an issue over winter.

Edited by mepbowles
Photo removal
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

Realised I double posted.

As the seats turned out to be quite soft so with a bit more tlc and perhaps some dyeing, they'll be better than my current ones. I've removed them for further cleaning and will scrap the frames unles anyone wants them.

Edited by mepbowles
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Interesting, did not even know crap guards was available for the front wings.

Looks like you picked up a few hard to find bits there though👍

I sometimes think finding the parts is half the fun! It was definitely fun rummaging through everything for things of use.

If it makes cleaning and keeping the rust at bay, I think it's good. My memory is hazy but I think he said Mercedes ones were similar. 

I also recently bought some Rota BM8 alloys as I've thought they looked good for a while and they were a good price with nearly new tyres included.

One of the Rostyles had developed a slow puncture and they all needed some attention so it's good to still be able to drive the car while I fanny about with them.

Oddly, because of the low profile tyres, the overall diameter is actually about 1" smaller than stock Rostyles. I don't really mind and like that I can easily switch, but I might try some larger tyres when they need replacing.

Ride height looks a little high but once I have my wife and baby and luggage in the back, it soon becomes acceptable. I may lower the front a little though as it's always sat high.

Edited by mepbowles
  • Like 2

So the past week or so I've been working on cleaning up the wheels and trying my hand at polishing. It's a good thing as all my trim will need a thorough polish to remove oxidation and pitting.

The wheels as they were

Masked up ready for sanding

After attacking it with wire wheels it's slowly slowly getting less rusty and more shiny. 

Last night I decided to try to go up to 2500 grit by hand to see what kind of a finish I can get. After a couple of final metal polishes, the right spoke looks quite good.

My plan is now to polish all the wheels using Dremel, wire wheels and sanding discs, paint the quarters black and then wax them to a shine. I don't like how dull wheel paint is so prefer the polished metal look.

Edited by mepbowles
  • Like 3

Front spoiler and 

After searching for about a year, I found a chin spoiler along with the alloys. 

It turns out there's a pretty good paint shop in my hometown so I ordered some base, clear and epoxy to have a play with. 

Filling, sanding, priming them until they're both smooth.

Laying down the first coat of epoxy, that was so full of crud it needed a heavy sand. That's one way to learn to wash your gun out after each use. Cleaning kit ordered along with proper measuring cups and other bits and pieces. Aside from the chunks of silver hammerite and massive run before gun adjustment, it was suprisingly smooth.

I'll get the epoxy down tomorrow and Friday ready to try the base coat next Monday. Hopefully its a fairly close match to the original. There were different shades available and I just picked standard.

And the mystery of my heater blower fan continues. I've changed out the fan and switch for different ones. I've got a third fan yet to try but I'm not holding out much hope. Auto electrics aren't my forte.

• Like 2

obvoiusly check the fuse .that may sound a silly suggestion at first but the fuseholders arent the best and a  bad connection can easily generate some heat which softens the spring contacts .if fact its worth cleaning all the fuse contacts and fitting new fuses anyway .

switches rarely fail but obviously anything is possible.

if you have a voltmeter or a 12v bulb on some leads you cannot go wrong or do any damage by checking power is getting to the fan plug connector.  at least then you know wether its a motor or power problem.

another issue is the motors can seize or go stiff due to lack of lubrication.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 10:22, mepbowles said:

(I'll work out the upside down photos soon).

It's been a while since I updated this but in fairness, not much has happened other than parts accumulation and VBOA.

I got the passenger door pocket on but screws on the driver's side keeping fouling the door so the card needs to be off to do a clean job.

I'm happy with the match and its good to have another place to store things away.

I fitted also some rear seatbelts so I could have an inaugural family outing. Securon 254 3 point belts and 210 lap belt if anyone was wondering. The mounting holes are already there on the c pillar, hidden under the headliner. Thank you for being so forward thinking Vauxhall!

Looks nice and smart and safe for special passengers now.

That interesting I am fitting some to my coupe tomorrow, hoping there is room to mount the reels behind the quarter trim and run them up past the parcel shelf.

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

This post may help if the hatchback has the same future provisions as the coupe.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 18:11, cam.in.head said:

obvoiusly check the fuse .that may sound a silly suggestion at first but the fuseholders arent the best and a  bad connection can easily generate some heat which softens the spring contacts .if fact its worth cleaning all the fuse contacts and fitting new fuses anyway .

switches rarely fail but obviously anything is possible.

if you have a voltmeter or a 12v bulb on some leads you cannot go wrong or do any damage by checking power is getting to the fan plug connector.  at least then you know wether its a motor or power problem.

another issue is the motors can seize or go stiff due to lack of lubrication.

Cheers. I have a multimeter but haven't got round to testing power to the fan yet as it's always low on the list when I have time to work on it. I thought I checked the wiring diagram and other things ran off the fuse that still work but I honestly can't remember anymore.

I have evenings and lunch breaks so I've managed to strip one wheel and paint the inside.

It was filthy and covered in brake dust etc so a good degrease got it clean but rusty. My wife got me the demon valet kit so it would be rude not to use it.

Once all the rust was wire wheeled off some zinc primer went down followed by some Simoniz Wheel Silver. It doesn't look too bad but I'm going to try and keep the fronts unpainted or just clear coated/waxed. Just 4 more to go! I might epoxy primer the others and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

fuse 5 is for the blower and if i remember correctly also reverse lights.

Yes! I had a look at the wiring diagram after re reading your post today. It should be easy to check and I'll kick myself if it was just a fuse as I've lived with it for about a year. ffs.

18 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

fuse 5 is for the blower and if i remember correctly also reverse lights.

FFS! It was the fuse. Although it didn't blow so when I inspected it last Autumn in the dark garage I must not have seen the damage to the top. The blower is working well again and I now have a couple of spare motors. I also have a spare VW one but I fear I'm missing the useful control board.

I guess that also means I've been driving without reverse lights for over 8 months 😳

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mepbowles said:

FFS! It was the fuse. Although it didn't blow so when I inspected it last Autumn in the dark garage I must not have seen the damage to the top. The blower is working well again and I now have a couple of spare motors. I also have a spare VW one but I fear I'm missing the useful control board.

I guess that also means I've been driving without reverse lights for over 8 months 😳

Well at least you found it. Sometimes they blow on the tip too and visually look OK. Such a poor design, the BS glass fuse type from the era was far better design. So as rightly pointed out by Cam, best to always do a thorough inspection if you have an electric gremlin 👍

1 hour ago, mepbowles said:

I had trouble with those horrid plastic versions on the blower & fuel pump too.
You can get proper ceramic ones off eBay etc. search for Torpedo Ceramic fuse. 

• Thanks 1

Well you live and learn. 

The next electrical task is finding a good place to run a switched 12v. Probably the cigarette lighter but time is always limited.

I got the front of the wheel masked, primed and then silver for the rim. The beauty ring will hide it anyway so I'm not too bothered by the finish. Tomorrow it should get some black and finally be done. The other wheels will be done all together as it's alot less painfully slow.

32 minutes ago, mepbowles said:

Well you live and learn. 

The next electrical task is finding a good place to run a switched 12v. Probably the cigarette lighter but time is always limited.

I got the front of the wheel masked, primed and then silver for the rim. The beauty ring will hide it anyway so I'm not too bothered by the finish. Tomorrow it should get some black and finally be done. The other wheels will be done all together as it's alot less painfully slow.

There is a couple of spade points on the back of the fuse box that one has a switch +12v iirc. You would need to use an inline fuse of suitable protection for your device/cable CSA

• Thanks 1

I have an inline fuse for the 12v so I'll grab another for the switched. I didn't think it was needed but it's such a small cost, may as well to protect things.

Just a couple of small things this lunchtime.

I got the black down on the first wheel and decided to touch up the washer jets while I had the black paint on hand.

I also unearthed the pair of nice rear badges so fitted them. I may put the old ones back once it's resprayed to remind me of where it came from. I'm sure I also have a few front badges I was meaning to respray and restore.

The other wheels should be stripped and primed by the weekend after degreasing last night and I might have a crack at base coating the spoiler if I can get it smooth.

• Like 1

I'm a strong believer in the small details making a big difference. Before and after of the wheels. 

Windscreen washer jets are also back on and look so much better.

I also found a air fed mask for a good price so should be safe to spray 2k clear soon

Edited by mepbowles
  • Like 7

small details do indeed make the difference .between a car that looks good from over the road to one which looks good stood next to it.!.

even silly details such as mudflaps on in the wrong place,( or crap aftermarket ones)

number plates at wrong height or missing the bracket ( or upside down)

the half black section on the early front valance being painted over ( or fully black)

for example !

• Like 2

my biggest pet hate of that list is the front number plate .ive seen lots of cavs with the plate either without the bracket,bracket wrong way round or worse still ,fitted without bracket. that makes a major difference and to me just looks so wrong !

19 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

my biggest pet hate of that list is the front number plate .ive seen lots of cavs with the plate either without the bracket,bracket wrong way round or worse still ,fitted without bracket. that makes a major difference and to me just looks so wrong !

I honestly wouldn't know the right position of the number plate. I haven't touched them since I bought it. The historic plates are difficult for parking barrier cameras to read and hopefully the towbar obscures things enough to keep me out of trouble.

I have noticed some cars, particularly on the continent, have the numberplate between the lights. Which is a shame as it would be nicer to see Vauxhall or Opel there (though I'm not sure Opel rear lettering is a thing).

Wheels have been wire wheeled but need a little finesse and polishing. Some house tasks beckon too so I may forced to pause the car tasks for a little while.

1 hour ago, mepbowles said:

I honestly wouldn't know the right position of the number plate. I haven't touched them since I bought it. The historic plates are difficult for parking barrier cameras to read and hopefully the towbar obscures things enough to keep me out of trouble.

I have noticed some cars, particularly on the continent, have the numberplate between the lights. Which is a shame as it would be nicer to see Vauxhall or Opel there (though I'm not sure Opel rear lettering is a thing).

Wheels have been wire wheeled but need a little finesse and polishing. Some house tasks beckon too so I may forced to pause the car tasks for a little while.

The Opel manta was mounted on the panel between the rear lights, where as the Vauxhall was below the rear bumper.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately between housework, garden work and starting to do bedtimes and mornings, I've not had much time or energy for the car over the last month. Hopefully the wheels haven't flash rusted. My little one has also outgrown her carseat. She has a new ISOFIX one but I need to find another belted one to keep the family trips going.

In better news I did find the time to base coat the front spoiler this week. The surface finish is really rough so it'll get rubbed down and resprayed but it's nice to be able to check if the colour code was in the right ball park. Once it's good, I think I'll make a start on the underside of the bonnet.

• Like 3