Thinking of covering my centre console.

IanMc

Dear all,

I have always considered the Cavalier/Manta plastic centre console to be very basic, bland and frankly a bit of a let down...

So, has anyone ever covered theirs in leather (or something similar), to jazz it up a bit?

I’m thinking that I might order a piece of the same Burgundy Leatherette material that I used to cover my door caps in a bid to match it all in a bit better.

Any other thoughts and ideas are very welcome. :thumbup

Ian, was thinking the same, mainly to tie the original material in. And to stop stuff sliding about.

Was thinking of a sponge shape for the recession the length of console, wrapped in seat material. Maybe a bit of piping. 

It would leave it could be removed for cleaning. 

Was also gonna tie in two cup holders up in front of gearstick. It will be a 4sp console, same as yours. 

Was thinking of switching the original radio, leave it in place but sticking a decent head in the glove compartment. 

Wonder how hard it would be to copy the console and make it from thin MDF if it's going to be covered? That way you could slightly customise it, cup holder(s) for example, but swap it back to original if you change your mind.

I have made a copy of the rubber cover that goes over the blower motor from MDF but that's a different ball game!

You could always search for a spare console, and cover that. Colour wont matter if its getting full coverage. 

Was gonna use click buttons into the two screw holders to hold in place. 3mm foam covered in original seat material. 

Do like the flock idea, but its hard to keep clean, oil, coffee, or anything really, and its destroyed, how the rally teams get on, dont know. Even vacuum cleaners mark it, 

Thanks everyone, there is some very interesting ideas and comments above. I will mull things over for a few days and then make a decision. If any other ideas spring to mind in the meantime, then please feel free to throw them in the pot too.

Back to work today - boooooo!  :lol:

• Like 1

Like the ideas robah, hydrodipping, its an expensive way of surfacing a item with a printed film of any design and fixed with a stopper, think it can be clear coated, some if the finishes are amazing. 

Its a expensive way of using oil based spray paint on surface of water, use to paint, scalextric cars, skateboards, and bmx parts this way, then clear coat. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Like the ideas robah, hydrodipping, its an expensive way of surfacing a item with a printed film of any design and fixed with a stopper, think it can be clear coated, some if the finishes are amazing. 

Its a expensive way of using oil based spray paint on surface of water, use to paint, scalextric cars, skateboards, and bmx parts this way, then clear coat. 

We used to call it water transfers in my day 😁 although on a much smaller scale .

I do like how they dip the alloy wheels. I guess after some 2K lacquer Coates any part should be very durable 

8 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

We used to call it water transfers in my day 😁 although on a much smaller scale .

Very close process, model collectors and builders still use this process, remember doing 6R4 scalextric cars this way, water transfers, can't see a kid doing this nowadays! 

Seen a full toyota chaser bonnet dipped, must have used a swimming pool to hydrodip it, some nice designs, anything can be printed on the film, which disintegrated when dipped leaving the image and the adhesive, 2k laq,

But, think i will stick with the soft furnishings.

• Like 1