2.0e coupe exhaust options

hoobby

After 16 years and 12 years standing about my exhaust system has started to disintegrate back box and center both have holes  in them and to be honest everything but the manifold is very crusty so new exhaust time had a look at standard set up found back box £40 center £140:o can't find the intermediate pipe or down pipe.

Looked at sportex system £250 (everything from manifold back) any good?

Custom made Stainless system any ideas how much ?

And is it worth changing the manifold for custom made ?

Just now, hoobby said:

After 16 years and 12 years standing about my exhaust system has started to disintegrate back box and center both have holes  in them and to be honest everything but the manifold is very crusty so new exhaust time had a look at standard set up found back box £40 center £140:o can't find the intermediate pipe or down pipe.

Looked at sportex system £250 (everything from manifold back) any good?

Custom made Stainless system any ideas how much ? (From manifold back)

And is it worth changing the manifold for custom made ?

Hi hoobby,

I have fitted the complete Sportex exhaust system to my GT/E and it fitted spot on, no hassles. To me it’s value for money, it’s an everyday exhaust, easy to live with and not too noisy. At the time I priced up an Ashley or Miltek stainless steel exhaust, can’t remember which one, it came in at around £900 and I couldn’t justify the cost so Sportex it was, I’m happy with it.

• Like 3

Cheers Mike think I'll go for sportex can buy eBay and PayPal installments really can't afford to pay £900 In one go maybe next time.will order and fit in spring it's far too cold to lay outside on my back shivering, bleeding and swearing besides after a week working outside at night just want to sit in the warm with lots of hot tea :D

• Like 2

https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3460/details

Was looking at this in the hope it would fit a 2.0s manta b, have not contacted them yet? Its only listed for a manta A being US made.

But they have other bits that might help someone. 

Is there any ready made manufactured manta xe full systems.

A 1.8 might be closest?

Hoobby, did the car sit for 12yrs not started, started for short bursts, are started frequently? Just interested as there was a thread about storing cars, etc, and info regarding keeping them maintained.

Suppose, the only cure would be to remove exhaust and store it in heat! Bit of a chore. 

Is there any metal threatment for mild steel, that would prelong the life? Ceramic coating, copper coated? 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 2

Ashley made the XE manta 4branch , that then mates to a 1.8 system

Wrapping helps preserve as it keeps it insulated and moisture off the tube. If you not doing much running, then high temp paint will last quite a while too. or as you say ceramic coating, but that's bloody expensive .

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Hoobby, did the car sit for 12yrs not started, started for short bursts, are started frequently?

Car was started frequently and moved every 2 weeks to avoid wheel bearings centralising and tyres flat spotting didn't do the exhaust much good as probably encourage condensation internally on cooling shame really was in good condition when it went off the road for All those years but I was advised that if you let an engine stand for long periods without starting there is a danger of oil seals drying up/shrinking and cracking and camshaft rusting and pitting car was stored outside under quality covers and filled the inside with those moisture traps i uncovered when weather was good to air out and remove any moisture from the bodywork.

Edited by hoobby

it was getting hard to find normal exhausts for these but they do pop up on ebay .i beleive there are some middle and back boxes on there now.

personally i always prefer steel rather than stainless as they usually sound better. my mate ruined the character of his viva with a stainless and paid a lot of money to do so !

but thats entirely personal choice. i like quieter,some like a sporty note !

the front pipes last relatively long above the Y up to the manifold and only realy rust through on the pipe and box  .this lower section is easy enough to make yourself anyway.

• Like 1

Probably the horizontal opposed to the y on the vertical, plus being closer to the stove, saves that part.

Search is on for a 4 branch to suit a 2.0s CIH, and then a xe coupe after the manifold, its bought and wrapped.

Sportstex system sounds sick! 

Edited by ®evo03

• 4 months later...

I would think it would be just cosmetic yes.

I run the Sportex system on my manta and feel that the 3” chrome tail pipe is large enough and isn’t too overbearing at the rear of the manta.

look at page 12 on Mike’s Manta in your project, I have a rear view photo near the bottom of that page which shows the 3” chrome tail pipe 👍

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2