Not starting and interior light stuck on

mepbowles

Hi all,

I just went to start my Cavalier and it wouldn't start. Normally I'd just recharge and have another go, but a few things have thrown me.

At first, it turned over nicely but didn't catch. Then it started struggling, lights pulsing/flickering so presumably a flat battery.

Weirdly, after it failed to start the 2nd go, the interior light came on and then has stayed on even with the door fully closed or by manually pressing the door switch. It's still on now 15 minutes later with ignition out and doors closed and looks like it'll continue to draw lower from the battery so charging would be a little pointless until it's sorted. It wasn't on before I got in.

Earlier this week I noticed a little wetness under the passenger foot mat so took it out to dry. I assumed it was just some spilt squash from a bottle in the car, but the fan/heater made a somewhat gurgling sound so I wondered if there was a coolant that could have leaked. If so it might explain the interior light as a short of some kind.

My plan is to pull the fuse for the interior light, charge it overnight and try again in the morning.

Any idea on the persistent interior light and advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Edited by mepbowles

Sounds really obvious, but make sure you havent pulled the light switch into the "OUT, interior light on" position.

I only mention this as when I 1st got mine I couldn't find out why the light was on til I got the book out.... OOOPS, easy done if you don't know.

• Haha 1

Sounds like it might be a bad earth too, or battery has just died. I would take the battery off and get it tested ( be free if you take it auto parts store etc)

If battery is failed, then replace. If it's good, look at removing & cleaning up terminals on Starter, chassis earth wire etc 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. With the fuse removed it starts almost on the first turn so sounds like you're on the money with the door switch at fault or something on that circuit at least. I've got a couple of spare headlight switches to try as well and will take a look at the door, especially now I'll be able to get it out of the garage to fully open the door. 

The heater blower still makes a funny growling noise on the first setting though which is new to me. I'll have a poke around when I poke around the dash for the radio.

1 hour ago, plumster said:

Sounds really obvious, but make sure you havent pulled the light switch into the "OUT, interior light on" position.

I only mention this as when I 1st got mine I couldn't find out why the light was on til I got the book out.... OOOPS, easy done if you don't know.

Wow, I didn't know it could do that! Didn't fix the issue but very good to know. I've been cursing that the light won't stay on with the door closed and couldn't find the button to do it. I don't remember reading it in the books either but I probably wasn't looking properly. You've got to love the multifunction switches and controllers on old cars!

Edited by mepbowles

the heater motor growling will probably be the bearings getting dry. common issue ,nothing too serious.

if it doesnt go right after using it on full speed and getting some heat into it then you may have to remove the motor to oil the bearings. easy enough to get to.

they are just oil lubricated sleeves .so providing they are not seized and spinning in the housings they will respond to re oiling.

dont put too much oil onto the bearing so that it gets onto the brushes 

other end can be oiled up well thou. use a thin oil like 3 in 1 rather than engine oil otherwise they can still growl ive found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1