Opel Manta A series log book/order form/mots for sale?

• GTEPETE changed the title to Opel Manta A series log book/order form/mots for sale?

Notice the order form says 'Opal' 🤣

A bit pointless documents imo, not overly convinced that selling a V5 is a great thing. Had this been a Ford, it would have the FB posts going crazy about it as it allows a car to be stolen and rung - I am no expert on these things and does not seem as easy imo without a VIN tag 🤔

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

I have the green log book for my fist car ( Don’t know the reg as it packed in box somewhere in the house)

MK 1 cortina 1500cc in green 

This log book is only interesting to me 

Going to put in a frame one day 

I completely understand that. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/01/2021 at 17:00, Jessopia74 said:

Notice the order form says 'Opal' 🤣

A bit pointless documents imo, not overly convinced that selling a V5 is a great thing. Had this been a Ford, it would have the FB posts going crazy about it as it allows a car to be stolen and rung - I am no expert on these things and does not seem as easy imo without a VIN tag 🤔

It could be used to ring a car in theory, especially if the car that the logbook is for is still on the DVLA computer which this one is. A pre 1980 car doesn't need to exhibit a VIN, so not having the tag isn't a problem. Remove the chassis number from where it's stamped on the scuttle, and remove the tag. I'm sure you could even make a tag up if you wanted one there, and then you've just rung a car. I suspect a few had ID changes when the free tax got stopped at 1972 to make later cars tax exempt, nowadays it would be a way to hide a stolen car. Steal a Manta, removed the ID's and as you've got all that history bob's your uncle. Obviously if you came to sell it some people who really know the model should be suspicious, but there would be plenty who would still buy it. A guy on the Viva  Facebook page recently put an HC up for sale. He'd bought it a while back, modified it with a Mazda engine and other bits and then put it up for sale. It was spotted that it was a later shell on an early reg by some of the real experts, looks like the car was probably rung to make it tax exempt in the past. I also know of someone a few years ago who bought a Manta A that turned out to be a ringer. The chassis number had been removed from the scuttle,but he cut the piece out it should have been stamped into and it could still be read from below. It looks like that car had probably been stolen at some point in the past as both ID's would have been tax exempt.

Edited by 1900SR
Typo.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thanks for the info 1900SR, interesting. Did not know about the rule for prior to 1980 with regards to the VIN, that's quiet a shock 😬

That's from the MOT regs, but I assume it is in general law as well.

• Like 1