2.0E Correct Thermostat

The General

Hello all, I think we have covered this before somewhere else but I cant find it. Can anyone tell me with all knowledge what is the correct thermostat temp for the  1984 - 1988 2.0E GT/E? Can't find a definite answer! Some say 87degs some say 92degs

Got a 87 deg in mine at the moment! also i cant remove the "bleed plug" on the top of the thermostat housing. interesting to see inside the housing there is a tide mark obviously needs bleeding, but i don't want to force the plug to remove it and crack the housing, does anyone drill a hole in the stat? if so how big? 1.5mm?

1 hour ago, The General said:

Got a 87 deg in mine at the moment! also i cant remove the "bleed plug" on the top of the thermostat housing. interesting to see inside the housing there is a tide mark obviously needs bleeding, but i don't want to force the plug to remove it and crack the housing, does anyone drill a hole in the stat? if so how big? 1.5mm?

My bleed plug was solid took it to a machine shop and told them to drill and tap and fit a grub screw so they decided to undo the plug and broke the casing :angry: tho they did weld it back together nice job too at no cost...still really pi**ed with them tho what happened to "the customer is always right"

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rutts said:

Just for a note MGB ones fit perfect and available at various opening temperatures.

ps useful to know, but don't tell anyone its a MG part!!!! unless you already wear a flat cap and beige gloves... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3