Which engine/ model/ year? 1.9 in a riley!

Neilm

Hi. I have a 1953 riley re powered by opel manta! Lovely smooth engine and 5 speed box. (I also have the original riley tank engine!) . Im hoping to identify year/ model of manta to make up a spares kit before a long europe drive (yep post covid!) . The only info I have is 5 speed box, carburettor...engine number 1.36.1305626. And fan belt 6219 mc belt. Timing belt 5101. I have tried and failed to find a comprehensive list of engine numbers...and possibly...this engine was from Poland...maybe.... can any member help steer me to year and model to help when I buy spares? 

Thanks. Pick your brains further...obvious spare parts to assemble for a long drive would be? ..plugs, ignition unit..(likely to be only one type available for the 1.8? ) rotor arm, fan belt, err...condenser if they have one and coil? Anything im missing? 

It should have the engine code on the block, for example a Manta 1.8 engine will have 18S. The first number is the capacity, and the letters are the compression and fuelling, so N is low compression, S is high, and if it has an E it is fuel injected. 

It could even be a 1.3 engine if it's from a European spec Manta, is the first part of the engine number maybe 13S rather than 136?

Edited by 1900SR

Thanks...defo 1.8 ohc from greeters attached image above...90hp carburettor. Just needing to find out if there are variations in spares for the 1.8 ohc that I need to learn of before ordering ignition spares.....coil ignition unit rotor arm condenser etc...or are  all 1.8ohc engine parts the same over the years of production? 

If you are not sure about the history of that engine,think most important is the fitting a new timing belt. Think all 1.8OHC's in Manta's are all the same, and it's a nice engine. The Varajet carb is also good but some don't like them cause they need to tuned by someone that has got some experience. 

1.8 engine is available in injection, gte astra, also same 2.0 injection engine from, astra, calibra, carlton, will fit 5 speed gearbox, or fit a 20xe vauxhall redtop for riley xe! 170ish bhp!  - all these are a direct replacement for your block, no modifications, use your sump and engine mounts. 

Or maybe 2.3 saab turbo - same gearbox! 

Maybe engine number is 1.8S.code.  you can see it better if you do paper and pencil, rubbing, or trace. 

Thanks all. Its a 1.8s identical to gtepete image above. So I'll go for a spares kit of all ignition parts...ignition unit, coil, condenser, plugs, dissy head rotor arm, umm...and fit a new diaphragm in the cam driven pump....engine already has new cam belt...but pump does not look new....however about a foot between fan belt and 1953 riley rad! Loads of room! 

I wonder why somebody chose that particular engine to retrofit in your Riley? - interesting though...

Got any photos of your car you can post for us, would just be nice to see it.

Regardless, its a great story - good luck with the planning and the run itself when you eventually get out there.  :thumbup

• Like 1

Other cars I have seen with later engines, are a Vauxhall 101 (I think) with a 2.2 Carlton CIH engine and a HB Viva convertible, with a FWD 16V conversion...., If I had a standard HB, or HC Viva I would fit a 2.4 Frontera Engine.....with Webers...

Failed to upload opel riley images! And why opel? One of the last simple carburettor powerful light economical easy repair/ parts availability RWD engines still available...no ecu or sensors or injection system. Far more driveable car than with original 50hp riley lump...famous for blowing head gaskets eating fuel n going slow! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neilm said:

Failed to upload opel riley images! And why opel? One of the last simple carburettor powerful light economical easy repair/ parts availability RWD engines still available...no ecu or sensors or injection system. Far more driveable car than with original 50hp riley lump...famous for blowing head gaskets eating fuel n going slow! 

stop gap on the way to a C20XE too, as everything that's bolted to a 1.8 is needed for the XE conversion. Just a set of bike carbs on a manifold and it's a good +90% on top of the 1.8 output. 😎

22 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

1.8 engine is available in injection, gte astra, also same 2.0 injection engine from, astra, calibra, carlton, will fit 5 speed gearbox, or fit a 20xe vauxhall redtop for riley xe! 170ish bhp!  - all these are a direct replacement for your block, no modifications, use your sump and engine mounts. 

Or maybe 2.3 saab turbo - same gearbox! 

Maybe engine number is 1.8S.code.  you can see it better if you do paper and pencil, rubbing, or trace. 

On second thoughts, keep the 8v, 170bhp on em tyres and brakes!

It is a gm gearbox you use, with half and half prop shaft? 

Ha rodded gasser riley!  Yep tyres are period... suspension front is torsion bars no springs as such...back is cart springs...no brake servo...and...hydraulic drum FRONT ONLY...push rod ...yep push rod back brakes. Add no seat belts suicide doors n sharp things...aim is more at being able to maintain 55mph up hills...(instead of max 25/ 30 ha)  rather than faster top speed. Back in the day top speed of 2.5 riley was 95! Straight line only though! Manta engine is 95hp over the original 50hp...good enough for me! 

Sorry yes standard manta box so no cut n shut mix n match. And manta flange on front of standard length riley propshaft. 

Edited by Neilm
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neilm said:

Ha rodded gasser riley!  Yep tyres are period... suspension front is torsion bars no springs as such...back is cart springs...no brake servo...and...hydraulic drum FRONT ONLY...push rod ...yep push rod back brakes. Add no seat belts suicide doors n sharp things...aim is more at being able to maintain 55mph up hills...(instead of max 25/ 30 ha)  rather than faster top speed. Back in the day top speed of 2.5 riley was 95! Straight line only though! Manta engine is 95hp over the original 50hp...good enough for me! 

Sorry yes standard manta box so no cut n shut mix n match. And manta flange on front of standard length riley propshaft. 

Sounds like some kind of fun for sure 🤣 you are a brave man for sure 👍

It's amazing what turns up on these forums that us Manta related, love it 🍻

Edited by Jessopia74

Not rally into old style cars but there is something about this thats appealing, i do like the shape of it, dont really see many modern engine transplants in this era of car, would it devalue it?

in some eyes,

its seems more appealing to me, as u say parts availability, reliability, and usability.  Nice one!