Jump to content

Manta A 1.2 Welcome!


Recommended Posts

Hello everybody! 

I am Rick from Italy, i just bought an Opel Manta A 1971 wiht 1.2 engine because in italy it's really hard to find a 1.6 or 1.9. 

I plan to replace the engine because 1.2 is really poor of power. 

I saw online some Manta A with 2.2 Injection engine, somebody know if i need to modify the structure of the car or the engine fits well ?

and moreover, from which car comes the 2.2 injection? maybe Opel Rekord 1985?

Please look attached pic :)

ENGINE PICTURE

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Ric, from my understanding to convert to CIH you will need engine, sump, mountings, gearbox & selector, gearbox mounting and propshaft.

It will be worth buying a manual for the MantaA for sure.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Welcome Ric, from my understanding to convert to CIH you will need engine, sump, mountings, gearbox & selector, gearbox mounting and propshaft.

It will be worth buying a manual for the MantaA for sure.

 

He might also need engine mounts as the A mounts will probably be different from the 2.2 mounts?

Also modified fuel tank (or swirl pot) for the injection or if carbs the 2.2 inlets.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also back axle, suspension springs and dampers and the larger cih model front brakes and exhaust system. Really you need a cih engined donor car.

I have a kadett b with ohv engine which I thought about upgrading to a larger engine once, it's never as simple as you think! The nail in the coffin for me was the ohv engine cars have a smaller transmission tunnel which would have required cutting out. I dont know if you will have the same issue with a manta A but worth checking before you commit.

Edited by eldoradoCoupe
More info
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

RikP, are you restricted to old style engine by rules and regulations, in Italy?

must it be available in this model, what about 2.0xe from opel calibra, 170bhp, or more modern 1.6 corsa vxr = usable 230bhp! 

Or must it be an opel engine? 

Do it once, do it right! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everybody for reply and for advices, 😄

I know that i will need to change the engine and the gearbox, but about the rest I didn't know.. 

I thuoght the guy on picture chose the 2.2i because the engine would had the same support and sizes of the original.

Yes, now i realized that it's hard (for me, as I don't know enough about mechanics) 

 

Evo03, no i am not restricted, but i woud find an engine which suits good with the hood interior space and if possible with the same support of the original one. 

Yes, i want to increase the power but don't want to start expensive and long time works.😪

 

Do you know a car with 2.0 engine or bigger which is mostly compatible with Manta A?😅

Edited by Rik-P
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rik-P said:

Thank you everybody for reply and for advices, 😄

I know that i will need to change the engine and the gearbox, but about the rest I didn't know.. 

I thuoght the guy on picture chose the 2.2i because the engine would had the same support and sizes of the original.

Yes, now i realized that it's hard (for me, as I don't know enough about mechanics) 

 

Evo03, no i am not restricted, but i woud find an engine which suits good with the hood interior space and if possible with the same support of the original one. 

Yes, i want to increase the power but don't want to start expensive and long time works.😪

 

Do you know a car with 2.0 engine or bigger which is mostly compatible with Manta A?😅

The simplest and easiest and cheapest would be the 2.0L CIH from any of the later Mantas or other opels. As these are easy to come by, drop straight into the A series, parts are easy to find and will be cheap. You could fit the injection from the later Mantas of fit twin cards. Easily get 150BHP without too much expense.

The 2.2 will be a bit more expensive to refurb if it needs work as opposed to the 2.0

Im not sure what sort of setup the 1.2 had back axel wise as we only got the 1.6 and 1.9 over here. What power would it take in standard?

Have you got a pic of your engine bay with the 1.2 in it?

 

Andy

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1.2 definitely had a weedy rear axle, the 1.6 and 1.9 had the same as a B, but with a steel torque tube. Not 100% sure but believe it's the same as fitted to Kadett.

However, guess the good news is the 1.6 type axle does seem more common 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/02/2021 at 21:50, 611 said:

The simplest and easiest and cheapest would be the 2.0L CIH from any of the later Mantas or other opels. As these are easy to come by, drop straight into the A series, parts are easy to find and will be cheap. You could fit the injection from the later Mantas of fit twin cards. Easily get 150BHP without too much expense.

The 2.2 will be a bit more expensive to refurb if it needs work as opposed to the 2.0

Im not sure what sort of setup the 1.2 had back axel wise as we only got the 1.6 and 1.9 over here. What power would it take in standard?

Have you got a pic of your engine bay with the 1.2 in it?

 

Andy

Please look the photo and video at the links:

this is my Manta, i have it just from 1 week, and it's not in good condition, but i will care of it.

ENGINE PHOTO

PLATE MODEL DATA

ENGINE VIDEO

About the back axel, i don't know. I tried to search online for information, but i did not find nothinig.

On 09/02/2021 at 23:07, Jessopia74 said:

The 1.2 definitely had a weedy rear axle, the 1.6 and 1.9 had the same as a B, but with a steel torque tube. Not 100% sure but believe it's the same as fitted to Kadett.

However, guess the good news is the 1.6 type axle does seem more common 

 

I found an engine near where I live, it's from OPEL GT  1969 - it's 1.9 

OPEL GT ENGINE 1.9

OPEL GT ENGINE 1.9 (PIC 2)

SERIAL

The price is 500€, need a revision as he said and miss the manifold and the carburetor. 

What do you think about it? 

Edited by Rik-P
Link to post
Share on other sites

1.9 is a good engine, although I would at €500 I ask for pictures of the camshaft as they wear in the older engines.

Not sure on the market there, but I personally would not pay more than £300 for it in good order.

Also, that picture of the serial number he gave you is just a casting number, the engine type and serial is in a machined flat that us just below the cylinder head, on the spark plug side of the engine. It should start with 19S 1234567 as an example

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

24 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

1.9 is a good engine, although I would at €500 I ask for pictures of the camshaft as they wear in the older engines.

Not sure on the market there, but I personally would not pay more than £300 for it in good order.

Also, that picture of the serial number he gave you is just a casting number, the engine type and serial is in a machined flat that us just below the cylinder head, on the spark plug side of the engine. It should start with 19S 1234567 as an example

here the serial SERIAL NUMBER

Ok, i will ask for camshaft pic and for discount. 

so if everything will be nice, i will need to find the manifold for that enginge and the carburater. 

Do you know if the engine support fits same of Manta A?

Edited by Rik-P
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rik-P said:

 

here the serial SERIAL NUMBER

Ok, i will ask for camshaft pic and for discount. 

so if everything will be nice, i will need to find the manifold for that enginge and the carburater. 

Do you know if the engine support fits same of Manta A?

500 is quite expensive for the engine but the rocker cover is probably worth £100

Engine supports look like the early A series type, but cant 100% tell from the pic.

For that price i would want to know the cam was ok, the state of the pistons/bores and bearings as that could cost you another £200-400 if the engine turns out to be not that great. £350 would be a reasonable price with that rocker cover on for an unknown engine, for 500 i would want to know it was all in good condition.

1.9 will be nice in the A series. 

You could probably find a cast manifold quite easily for it if you go single original carb. Depends on what you are going to fit but there are lots of options for that side of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...