Jump to content

Anyone got a template for a Coupe headliner?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Just as the title really.

I want to have a go at making my own the replace the sagging, ripped, discoloured mes that is there at the moment. I appreciated that I could use what is left of the old one when I remove it, but its so delicate that its going to be tricky to do that.

Plus by making the replacement in advance, I can remove the old and refit the new over a shorter period of time - hopefully anyway...

Thanks in advance folks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy them from a German company but last time I tried they didn't have the correct material. 

If originality is not your main concern then they are reasonable and its a good product. 

P. S. Autoteile are who you need to be looking at. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yes I know I can buy one, for not a great deal of money. But I also know that with my sewing machine and the skills I acquired while making the seat covers, I can make one for a fraction of the price. Plus I like the satisfaction of knowing that I did it myself...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Yes I know I can buy one, for not a great deal of money. But I also know that with my sewing machine and the skills I acquired while making the seat covers, I can make one for a fraction of the price. Plus I like the satisfaction of knowing that I did it myself...

Can't you use the existing one as a template?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Can't you use the existing one as a template?

 

Yes I could do that, but it’s in a bit of a state already and I was hoping to have a new one ready to go straight in.

Oh well, let’s see what happens I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Yes I could do that, but it’s in a bit of a state already and I was hoping to have a new one ready to go straight in.

Oh well, let’s see what happens I guess.

I probably have one with a sunroof at the garage, but not sure if it's in great condition as it has a few little rips etc and I think the A post section came off one side. 

Edited by Jessopia74
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jessopia74 said:

I probably have one with a sunroof at the garage 

Do you mean already removed from the car Jess?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Do you mean already removed from the car Jess?

Yes mate, it came out if my black coupe. I guess I could loan it to you as it won't be required for a loooooong time 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yes mate, it came out if my black coupe. I guess I could loan it to you as it won't be required for a loooooong time 

 

Well that sounds brilliant, sincere thanks. I would then be happy to make a plan/drawing of it in case anyone else also fancies having a go in the future.

After all, its thing like this that owners clubs are for right?

I will drop you a PM with my address mate. There is absolutely no rush Jess, anytime over the next few weeks is fine.

Thanks again! :thumbup

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IanMc said:

 

Well that sounds brilliant, sincere thanks. I would then be happy to make a plan/drawing of it in case anyone else also fancies having a go in the future.

After all, its thing like this that owners clubs are for right?

I will drop you a PM with my address mate. There is absolutely no rush Jess, anytime over the next few weeks is fine.

Thanks again! :thumbup

Got it, replied see what I can do this week.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to the kindness of Jess (Jessopia74), who sent me his coupe headliner, today I was able to make a small start on this project.

Using a large cardboard box (I thought that cardboard would be more stable over a longer period), I placed the headliner over it:

 

2B9z2au.jpg

 

Then using my dress making pins, I pinned the headliner to the cardboard at regular intervals. You can see the small, round coloured heads in this photo:

 

GjfRbUq.jpg

 

Then I marked out the various holes for the interior light, sun visors, grab handle etc:

 

KVlhU1i.jpg

 

Then finally I simply drew around the headliner to get the overall shape and sizes onto the cardboard. As you will see, I made various notes as I went, for example marking the positions of the seams:

 

05TCBfs.jpg?1

 

Thankfully, it all looks quite symmetrical, so it should be OK. I can now get this all measured up and look at ordering some materials.

I will still probably add another 20 mm or so all round to allow for any possible errors etc, just to be on the safe side. Naturally, it will be easy to cut off whats not needed, but not the reverse!

Note!

As Jess's car had a sunroof, I took the opportunity to mark this on my template as well. By the way, my intention is to make this template available to anyone that wants it - either in some kind of electronic format (although I don't know what or how at this point :lol:), or simply by loaning it out to people to use for the same purpose. After all, its things like this that owners clubs are for...

I hope that this template might help somebody else in the future.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All looks familiar!

You probably already know but you will need the tapes to make up pockets (can't think of the right word!) for the metal bars that hold up lining up. No idea what they were called but it's like a thin webbing. On mine (hatchback) I think there were three different widths needed but definitely two different widths that I can remember. I'm guessing they miss the front pockets off because of the sunroof but you'll need them?

Just some random thoughts!

On mine, i've gone for a grey cloth trim rather than vinyl but then keeping vinyl on the A,B pillars to keep it simple as they will be seperate pieces so it'll be interesting to see how it looks when fitted. Think it was stuff for old Jags.

Good luck!

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the SRB is different due to how the B pillars come up and over inside of the car. Had you shed last year when my silver had all its glass out, I would have got the headlining out if it for patterning, but it's a pain now it's all back together.

As I said already feel free to unpick it all if it will help create the individual templates as I think that will allow greater flexibility to make up a no d sunroof version too, perhaps.

What do they use in dressmakers for the template patterns? Is it leather or like conti-board (door card board)?
 

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exclusive Opel said:

You probably already know but you will need the tapes to make up pockets (can't think of the right word!) for the metal bars that hold up lining up. No idea what they were called but it's like a thin webbing. On mine (hatchback) I think there were three different widths needed but definitely two different widths that I can remember. I'm guessing they miss the front pockets off because of the sunroof but you'll need them?

 

 

Yes, you are correct - I will need all of the bar loops for a non-sunroof Coupe.

I actually have some material left over from my seat covers that I can use to make those. As it is easily machined, I can make whatever size is needed for each position :thumbup

31 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

 

What do they use in dressmakers for the template patterns? Is it leather or like conti-board (door card board)?
 

Absolutely no idea mate :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Easiest way to make a digital template is to grid out the cardboard template you made Ian.  Eg, 20cm per square.

Each point where the headliner touches the edge of each square needs measured. 

Then you get a graphics person, to draw it up. They can even do it 1/4 scale, 5cm x 5cm and scale it to 400% when complete.

A eps vector file would allow a vinyl, vehicle graphics to cut a template on vinyl so this could be used as a template. Printing it on paper this size would be expensive, and print tiling would be messy

Easiest way i can think of to scale and cut a template. But..... this could be a wee sideline for you, making them! Its no easy task, but what is.....

Cheapest material i seen used was newpaper print, the A3 sheets used to wrap up your chips, in chippers. Its slightly see through so you could trace your cardboard temp master onto them, fold it, thin paper and post it out! AGAIN, not easy. 

Check your seams are in the same place for sunroof and non sunroof cars for tension bars .........and goodluck, remember headline tucks under front and rear screen rubbers, so screens out, to get it fitted right.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...