Whining diff

jamie077366

Hi guys, tuck manta for mile run , nearly ready for mot so sneaked our for quick run to see What happens after restoration. Diff whining, I don’t recall it whining  befor it came of the road, it has lsd which I probably did 200 miles befor off the road 7 years ago. Interior now stripped but even so, it’s that noisy it would of been apparent even with interior in. What’s your thoughts? Thanks

Someone explained the difference between engine oil, gear oil and lsd oil to me and I wish I’d paid more attention. There is something in lsd oil that causes friction which normal gear oil doesn’t have and that’s why it won’t work. You can buy the additive separately and mix your own ratio. Not something I would risk doing myself 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 611 said:

For limited slip diff you need the diff oil and then the limited slip diff additive.

Is it the standard diff (factory fitted) or aftermarket? if factory i might have the part number for the GM stuff.

Andy

Hi Andy, it’s manta axle with gripper lsd, it’s got the oil gripper recommended,  

Castrol B373
iv jacked back end up and spun wheels, very noisy, il get bro to give me a hand this eve to locate if diff or wheel bearing noise.... or both 🤦‍♂️😂

2 hours ago, jamie077366 said:

Thanks, pleased you’ve said that...... jacked up and ran it and my nephew thought was coming more from towards the front...

At least the centre bearing is reasonably easy to change and would be worth doing anyway and will help to track it down to where it is coming from. Worth checking the condition of the centre bearing rubber as well.

• Like 1

Wanted to look in the parts-catalogue, but just that page is unreadable😟. But got a new one laying in front of me and it is a SKF one. Partnr. 6205-2RS1/3. It is an ordinary bouble side closed bearing and I think the measurments are 25x52x15 mm. When I'm back from the kinésist (knee) I can check it with a micrometer.

And I checked the bearing with the micrometer, measurments as written above

Edited by H-400
  • Like 3

Coincidentally, I have just ordered two new rear wheel bearings for my '79 Cavalier Coupe. I ordered these on the assumption that they will fit...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-A-MANTA-B-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-1975-1995-BRAND-NEW/131718860160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not looking forward to fitting them from some of the things I have seen and read.

I ordered them for similar reasons to you Jamie (sounding rough at the back).

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

Coincidentally, I have just ordered two new rear wheel bearings for my '79 Cavalier Coupe. I ordered these on the assumption that they will fit...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-VECTRA-A-MANTA-B-REAR-WHEEL-BEARING-1975-1995-BRAND-NEW/131718860160?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not looking forward to fitting them from some of the things I have seen and read.

I ordered them for similar reasons to you Jamie (sounding rough at the back).

Ian if those fit you’ve got an absolute bargain!

I struggled to find any at a decent price in the UK last summer. Got them from the Netherlands in the end but it was around £100 for both sides, just tried to insert url but that seems to be blocked here just now?!

If your eBay ones don’t work out pm me & I’ll send you the link.  

oh & having also read horror stories I cheated & got a man with a press to do the job 😁

now though I’ve started to hear the thrust bearing complain a little  😬

• Thanks 1

Hi guys. Thanks Ian, i ordered some too! 
ok had manta on brothers lift, noise from front so prop bearing (thanks Paul) also maybe  from back, my brother said diff casing near pinion was getting hot way to quickly so possible front pinion bearing too. Taking apart tomorrow to see situation, thanks for the help guys. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jamie077366 said:

Hi guys. Thanks Ian, i ordered some too! 
ok had manta on brothers lift, noise from front so prop bearing (thanks Paul) also maybe  from back, my brother said diff casing near pinion was getting hot way to quickly so possible front pinion bearing too. Taking apart tomorrow to see situation, thanks for the help guys. 

Yeah, both usual suspects, sadly due to been static for prolonged period. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Unfortunately, those bearings in the link are for the front. The rear is larger single bearing with a separate retaining collar. You should be able to get a refund as the listing incorrect.

Rear bearing:

81Hk8rdaclL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.a901fa6f9101738b88d2b9f3f1753cef.jpg

Ahhh, the ones I ordered is from a different seller but I think I’m in the same boat..... already changed the front when I was bored in the first lock down..... il keep them for my coupe I’m going to have a go at once sorted hatch 👍

7A33A4BE-78CA-435F-AA63-65D60FA1C7A6.png

10 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Unfortunately, those bearings in the link are for the front. The rear is larger single bearing with a separate retaining collar. You should be able to get a refund as the listing incorrect.

Rear bearing:

81Hk8rdaclL._AC_SL1500_.jpg.a901fa6f9101738b88d2b9f3f1753cef.jpg

Yep, they arrived today and you are absolutely right.

I will be writing a message to the Seller shortly lol