Rev counter install

mantageek88

Hi guys! I've got a question about a rev counter installation. I've got a '78 1.6s manta b coupe and I can't find anywhere how to wire up the tachometer, when searching I found some stuff for the manta a's or GTE and 1.9 models, but nothing for the 1.6, also I should mention I'm not very experienced mechanic so I'm not sure if that stuff from other models is relatable.😬  So, my question is: can it be done at all, if yes ,how to do it and what parts apart from a different gauge cluster do I need? Thanks in advance!

Manta B 1.6 1978 > would it be sky blue? > rare car! Fair play.

As for the rev counter, think the wiring diagrams are included in the hayes manuals, also have same car with said rev counter. The wiring on the back of the dash has a half moon shape connector that plugs into back of rev counter usually a green wire, direct from the coil. 

hi.its not just a case of wiring it up thou. 

if you are fitting an aftermarket unit that just needs 12v ,neg and a signal then thats easy.usually its just wired to the coil neg side.( green connector)

if you are installing the correct gls instrument pod then you will need the half round connector, idealy a proper two terminal oil pressure sender ( to work the dash guage)and the wire locations in the main round connector need replacing in a different order. i have this written down somewhere if and when you are ready.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Manta B 1.6 1978 > would it be sky blue? > rare car! Fair play.

As for the rev counter, think the wiring diagrams are included in the hayes manuals, also have same car with said rev counter. The wiring on the back of the dash has a half moon shape connector that plugs into back of rev counter usually a green wire, direct from the coil. 

Thanks for the reply, but my car isn't sky blue, it's actually orange. I've heard those hayes manuals are a real lifesaver.

6 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

hi.its not just a case of wiring it up thou. 

if you are fitting an aftermarket unit that just needs 12v ,neg and a signal then thats easy.usually its just wired to the coil neg side.( green connector)

if you are installing the correct gls instrument pod then you will need the half round connector, idealy a proper two terminal oil pressure sender ( to work the dash guage)and the wire locations in the main round connector need replacing in a different order. i have this written down somewhere if and when you are ready.

I was planning on using an aftermarket unit because it seemed easier to do, but I'm on the verge. I would like to modify the car but also keep it looking stock. Will do a little more research. If I end up needing help with the cluster I will make sure to reach out to you! Thanks again😉