GT/J for sale

I see where you guys are coming from, however, If an unrestored 84GTE can fetch 20K, this is probably about right for initial asking to enable some haggle room. Selling around £27K.

let's break it down a little at professional (collectors) prices for that GTE to put it to a similar condition.

Car - £20K, 

Swan kneck ps and Panels replacement  - £1K

Respray (with extensive prep and small panel repairs to roof etc) - £4K

Interior re-trim - £500

Engine refresh(partial rebuild) - £500

Obvisouly the GT/j has the boar anchor wit triple Webber's fitted, so that's around £900 of carbs + engine cost.

Had this been a Capri 3.0s with triple Webber's in such a condition, no one would bat an eyelid at 30K asking, probably consider it cheap. Obviously something is only worth what the man is willing to pay for it, but in my experience you don't ask you don't get, as my Mrs reminds me very frequently 😁

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

I think both sides of the argument are right. If you compare it to the black auction coupe then the sale figure isn’t implausible, but I think if we are all realistic, how many of us would pay the sale price for this or the black coupe.  The gtj is a beautiful car (in my opinion) and has won at shows , I would value it higher than the black coupe but nowhere near the asking price , maybe £12k , but that’s me , others would say different . 

Edited by Buz
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, starmist said:

But it's not a 3 litre capri, it's a modified B which rightly or wrongly  will never be as sought after as a 3.0 capri or even a standard gte exclusive.

Well the market has shifted for definitely with collectors now looking at the coupes. My point is a 3.0s Capri at such a standard would be considered cheap at 30K and someone would snap their arm off. It's also not uncommon to find show condition coupes on the continent for well over €20K.

I am sure Ford owners went through this pain years ago when the prices started to ramp up quickly, leaving many enthusiasts open jawed.

33B0D08F-5CE4-4B6A-9942-1AD4D5F37088.jpeg

• Like 3

£50k for a capri is ridiculous, no matter how nice.

When I got back into Manta's in 2018 after 10 years out, it took alot of persuading to accept that a nice exclusive could be worth £7500...now look where we are 3 years later, discussing £20k+ GTE's and B's

• Like 2

Just now, starmist said:

£50k for a capri is ridiculous, no matter how nice.

It's not just Capri, Cosworth 3Doors are north of 60K(RS500 100K), Sapphires starting at £30K,  mk1 Mexico's circa 50K, MK2 RS2000 unrestored £36K.

Makes a Manta, that is arguably rarer, at 20K seem an entry point classic 😬
As I said, market has shifted. Maybe not sustainable and a bit if bubble for bored fingers with people having too much time to dream, but we are where we are atm.

6D9E5E25-D845-4F6F-8CD5-F63CCA708DE5.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve been looking for a mk1 Renault 5 2 door , I was offered a gordini turbo , that was stripped, the shell had been welded, needed engine rebuild and interior retrim..........£10k . Needed to buy one 10 years ago when they were Circa £1000

4 minutes ago, Buz said:

I’ve been looking for a mk1 Renault 5 2 door , I was offered a gordini turbo , that was stripped, the shell had been welded, needed engine rebuild and interior retrim..........£10k . Needed to buy one 10 years ago when they were Circa £1000

But what is it worth completed? 

Any car no matter what it is ,is only worth what someone is will to pay 

The back manta may have been a one off ,someone got very excited on the bidding 

Dos anyone know how got the £21,000 manta, are they going “what the f##k l have done “ 

Can get a clean Capri (1.6 ) for around the £4,000/ £ 5,000 mark

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Any car no matter what it is ,is only worth what someone is will to pay 

The back manta may have been a one off ,someone got very excited on the bidding 

Dos anyone know how got the £21,000 manta, are they going “what the f##k l have done “ 

Can get a clean Capri (1.6 ) for around the £4,000/ £ 5,000 mark

It's not a be off mate, look back through the auctions and you will see the price trend. 

Car enthusiasts, or people with a good set of hands are a dying breed, so paying others to do it for them is the only option, this can be very costly. Which in turn affects value.  Its not only mantas, opel, fords or some classic cars, its anything that is desirable to the buyer. Is there any classics that are depreciating right now? 

Mantas have a great competition history, which helps. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

The is a white manta for sale in lreland 

The manta is a 100% clean,just been restored 

The paint on the underside is just as good on the top side 

The brake pipes as all polished ect 

That manta going for £16,000 

Yeah, bring it to the U.K. and it's cheap, but don't forget VAT and the duty. So back to £20K mate

• Haha 1

I did contact him through Facebook to congratulate him on the car and out of courtesy to let him know I had posted a link to his ad on the forum .  You never know , maybe somebody paid his price or maybe he changed his mind about selling . Good luck to him either way . Us oldies know that “you don’t get if you don’t ask”. 

• Like 2

Just outta interest, where did you see it advertised, 

20 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

The is a white manta for sale in lreland 

The manta is a 100% clean,just been restored 

The paint on the underside is just as good on the top side 

The brake pipes as all polished ect 

That manta going for £16,000 

It was not advertised.

l put a wanted Opel manta on Facebook and got a reply 

As my Facebook things disappear after a bit 

Had a look but it not there 

Looked 100% mint 

Did get a few good leads , l am hopefully at getting a Opel Manta A after lockdown 

Will not be a done deal until l am standing in front of it and some cash has swap hands 

But things can change as we all know