That car haunts me. I bet the running issue has not been sorted looking at the lack of use (done less than 300ish miles since I moved it on) four manta experts, countless parts and every single potential thing changed and the same........horrible thing!

I will look forward to see what it makes, shame it was painted dolphin grey instead of the original steel grey. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Something up with roof to rear of sunroof, looks like it's been caught and tugged upwards

01A9F849-3CEC-44F0-8564-C3E41CFAB202.jpeg

I think it might be the seal. 

Them lot at Matthewsons are getting a lot of mantas in lately! Seams to run well in the video, didn’t someone on here buy it and Chuck another ECU at it? And what were Opel thinking with that interior? Needs a grey interior that does. 🤣

38 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Them lot at Matthewsons are getting a lot of mantas in lately! Seams to run well in the video, didn’t someone on here buy it and Chuck another ECU at it? And what were Opel thinking with that interior? Needs a grey interior that does. 🤣

Nothing wrong with them getting a reputation for selling Mantas, can only be a good thing for their reputation 😁

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

I had it and then the new owner came on here.
Steve it had many ecu’s and more hours, parts and man hours I wouldn’t like to think about. 
the interior did go with the colour but a huge task to change to grey and to do it right. 
I must say, if I will the lottery between now and the auction I will be buying it back and setting fire to it just before it is transformed into a cube. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Nothing wrong with them getting a reputation for selling Mantas, can only be a good thing for their reputation 😁

Never said there was lol

and Danny, yeah I don’t blame you. I had same experience with a V8 landrover county. It would run great for about 100 yards then loose power. Changed everything in the fuel system and ignition system. Then did away with the new filter off the new facet pump and it ran brilliant. Head fried completely. Then I smashed the brand new fuel tank off it. Haha 

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I had an update from Mathewsons auction site and they have another couple of Mantas on the auction for this weekend (Friday and Saturday it looks like)

There is a 1985 GTE project car on there that looks like a hell of a lot of welding

A 1987 Exclusive Hatch

There is also a tidy looking Ascona of 1977 vintage

It looks like they are getting quite a few through their books at the moment, so will be interesting in the sale prices

• Like 1
On 03/03/2021 at 08:59, Danny D114BCW said:

I had it and then the new owner came on here.
Steve it had many ecu’s and more hours, parts and man hours I wouldn’t like to think about. 
the interior did go with the colour but a huge task to change to grey and to do it right. 
I must say, if I will the lottery between now and the auction I will be buying it back and setting fire to it just before it is transformed into a cube. 

Danny did you ever change the tank in that car? The car u had issues with, not the ascona pictured, to set the record straight! 

Was reading an old omoc magazine, and it was the same issue, you would think you wrote the article! Article was about 10yrs old, but the guy changed everything electrial, mechanical twice over! Turns out there was a cracked pipe in the tank, between swirl pot and sender

I like that ascona! My B series coupe has the same early steering wheel. And no radio, couldn’t get anymore poverty spec if it tried! Winner! And those 10 quid billing vboa mudflaps too! 

32 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Some funky painted bits on that Ascona. All is not what it seems........

Yep seen it!  Is funky not offensive? 

10 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

And those 10 quid billing vboa mudflaps too! 

You dissing the flaps man! 

10 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

1.6 DL or is a base/fleet model.

Guide price £6750

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/auction-dates/vehicles/17039-1977-opel-ascona

IMG_9081.jpg.6acafe5b31e4673e3ff50d64635fe1fe.jpg

DL is deluxe, rarer than a 400, believe it or not

very nice car, goodluck with sale, really neat engine bay, plain and simple, very impressed! 

Is it lowered, on spax lowering springs!   Great job! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Danny did you ever change the tank in that car? The car u had issues with, not the ascona pictured, to set the record straight! 

Was reading an old omoc magazine, and it was the same issue, you would think you wrote the article! Article was about 10yrs old, but the guy changed everything electrial, mechanical twice over! Turns out there was a cracked pipe in the tank, between swirl pot and sender

Oh yes. Refurbished tank, new pump and filter. Tank removed after all that and double checked. You name it - it was changed. I hate that car! 

• Like 1

How many are left?

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Hmmmm a 'DL' or '400', what a hard choice 😂😂 rare for a reason, and homologation is not it 😁

Rare for a reason 💩

• Haha 1

Ascona is apparently a base model 

No radio, no brightwork around windows or wheel arches.

Wheels look the same as were fitted to later Cavalier LS models.

It's a rare survivor, imagine the interest on here if it had been a two door ! 

I've never seen one before

• Like 5

Ive the manta version 1.6 DL and its the keeper, if you know what i mean, or maybe you dont! 

No brightwork, = minus screw holes into arches and sills. Its updated with recaros, radio, modern speakers housed in later rear speaker pods, its even got a powersteering, all easily reverted to period original if need be! 

Think there where 3 DL (mantas) left on dvla site, think there was a blue one on here, might have been an auto, not sure! 

They where the middle version, there was a 1.3L, so these where less likely to be travelled, eg, used less, less miles, life driven out of them!  But it goes, really suit car, best driver, prefer it over a GTE

1.6 wouldnt put me off. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

How many are left?

Rare for a reason 💩

Last two dr sold was turned into a (real) 400! Says it all, 

Being a 4dr might save it! 

The early automatic just sold for £6750, and the Ascona  is up very soon 

The Ascona  made £6600

Edited by Buz
  • Like 4