Refitting/re-seating indicator steering column switch assembly..

Rick-Manta

Hi there. I'm struggling to refit the complete switch assembly over the steering column. I've made sure the steering lock bar is out of the way and I've got it pushed on where I can see half of each of the bolt holes (lining up for the three bolts that secure it) but I can't get it to go the last few millimetres. Am I supposed to be hammering it on with a socket like a make-shift press? I was reluctant incase I damage the part. I tried refitting the wheel so that the nut will act to push it all in place but that hasn't worked either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Never had any issues, fitted them countless times, even with corsa eps, never an issue, wounder would it lined up with the correct holes, or is the shaft stopping it sink further?  Never had the resort to the hammer! You never said why you had it off?

Hammer might break plastic lugs at bottom of column, careful

• Like 2

So it should just press back in easily?

My original one, although working, is very cronky with a rusty stalk and feels like it's falling apart. I've got one off an '88 Manta (the same part number) in much better condition to replace it with. I've greased the shaft (then went back to working on the car 😆) as there's a bearing but I've had to tap it down with a rubber mallet to get as far as it is; it's nearly there, just a few mil away from where I can get the bolts in but it won't move. I've checked for trapped wires, etc, but sounds like I'm going to have to take it off and try again. Thanks.

You might find the inner column has been pulled up higher than it should be. Often when people remove steering wheels there are hammers involved which can break the plastic tabs that hold the inner upper and lower shafts together. They are designed to slide inside each other in case of a crash along with the collapsable outer tube.

If the inner has been pulled up while the lower was still held by the U/J it basically lengthens the inner shaft total length. So when refitting you find the bearing surface that the upper bearing sits against is higher than it used to be and the switchgear won't fully push down.

I'd put the nut on si its flush to the top of the shaft and tap the inner collumn down, if the switchgear also goes down with it that was your problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'll give that a go. The column does already move slightly in and out (less than a centimeter at a guess) as I noticed it when I tried to pull the wheel off the splines by hand. I used a gear puller I adapted to fit in the two oval holes designed for the proper GM wheel puller, but it could well have been damaged in the past as it (a '77 Cavalier) has been apart before. Thanks again gents, I'll see how it goes in the morning 👍

All on now thanks. Well, apart from the plastic lower steering column shroud, as they're absolutely evil to refit properly. All the multiswitch stalk controls are working perfectly.

Doing up the steering wheel column bolt seemed really difficult, like I was fighting the spring behind it. I've got it so it's flush with the end of the column, but it maybe that my new wheel is slightly deeper, as I thought the nut passed over a few turns. I might eventually get a Manta B wheel as this Mountney one is a little small which hides the instruments from view and will be near impossible to steer at slow speed.

hopefully it will be ok but if the shaft moved in itself as you described it sounds as thou the plastic inserts have been sheared.either through someone damaging them with force/ hammer or via an accident.

all not an issue theoretically in itself but may cause a loss of motion or a rattle ?

• Like 1

I took it for a drive earlier. It feels the same to drive bar having a smaller wheel (too small if I'm honest, which is a shame as I spent quite a bit on it) and having super smooth indicators. If I press down hard against the spring behind the wheel, it thunks in-and-out but I'm pretty sure the boss is as far back as it can go, else the self cancel wouldn't work. I'm guessing that's indicative of the plastic safety thingies. I wonder if they're replaceable with some aluminium or plastic printed parts?

In any case, the cars good for now especially as I've done a load of rewiring to get all the gauges working (motivated by a small fire a couple of months ago), and all the dash bulbs and fuses have been replaced. I'll look to find a Manta SR wheel if and when one comes up.

Thanks for all the tips.

• Like 1