Thermal Time Switch

les87GTE

Can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase a new thermal time switch for my car. Currently it has a Bosch switch 0280 130 214 and I was informed that it had been superseded by Bosch F 026 T03100 - which I have bought. However, now fitted it doesn't function fully. When the engine is warm/hot it doesn't 'tell' the cold start not to fire additional fuel and, therefore, is affectively flooding. I have seen the original part available in America but wondered if it is still available in the UK??

12 hours ago, Mike. said:

Have you tried edelscmiede.com online, I’m sure they sell them.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've looked at edelschmiede but , without mentioning any part numbers, looks like the one I have bought already. I will email them and see if they will confirm the Bosch part number but, ideally, I would like the original part number and know that it will work. As stated above, I can get the original but it may take a few weeks for delivery and I was hoping to resolve the issue a little sooner.

Looking at the info for these, I'm guessing it 'on' for for 8 seconds for a temperture under 35 deg. Doesn't look like the original one is made any more or it's just a different part number now.  The switch should 'break' the connection between the cold start valve and ground. Either you have a faulty one or might be worth checking you have a good ground between the switch and chassis as this is needed. No ground and the switch and 5th injector won't work as there is no return path anywhere else but you might have a high resistance earth alowing the injector to just work and not letting the switch heat up enough to turn off. I would try a jump lead between the switch body and a good clean chassis ground.

They are not cheap are they!

Good luck :thumbup

16 hours ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Looking at the info for these, I'm guessing it 'on' for for 8 seconds for a temperture under 35 deg. Doesn't look like the original one is made any more or it's just a different part number now.  The switch should 'break' the connection between the cold start valve and ground. Either you have a faulty one or might be worth checking you have a good ground between the switch and chassis as this is needed. No ground and the switch and 5th injector won't work as there is no return path anywhere else but you might have a high resistance earth alowing the injector to just work and not letting the switch heat up enough to turn off. I would try a jump lead between the switch body and a good clean chassis ground.

They are not cheap are they!

Good luck :thumbup

Thanks for the above info - we can but try.....  🤨

...and you are right - they are not cheap 😲  but we have no choice, do we?

Could be worse, saw a Merc one for $949! :o

Looks like a 0 280 130 220 can be used instead, 12 second on time instead of 8. Trouble is, that's just as hard to get.

What your money is getting you:

TTS.png.45d103de70b223d080c9e2273ce6ba2f.png

Can't see it would be that difficult to design a cheap electronic version.

18 minutes ago, Exclusive Opel said:

Could be worse, saw a Merc one for $949! :o

Looks like a 0 280 130 220 can be used instead, 12 second on time instead of 8. Trouble is, that's just as hard to get.

What your money is getting you:

TTS.png.45d103de70b223d080c9e2273ce6ba2f.png

Can't see it would be that difficult to design a cheap electronic version.

Quick easy fix could be push switch on dash with a timer circuit, time varied with pot on circuit board.

something based around https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Power-delay-Relay-Timer-Delay-Switch-Circuit-Module-Chip-/282694281098

• Like 2

My old nail must have had this issue in the past. The grounding side is rerouted via a push button on the fuse cover & the timer is as long as I hold it in 😊

Unless it’s frosty I usually don’t need it so I’ve wondered if it’s maybe running slightly richer than it should but plugs aren’t black & it passes the MoT ok. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the above info but, after hours searching the internet, I have now found a new thermo time switch & a brand new auxiliary air valve and ordered them (switch in Holland & air valve in Germany). Hopefully 🤞 my mechanic won't find anything else wrong with the car and I can finally get it back.  🤗🤗🤗

• Like 3