Mk1 Cavalier Coupe front shock absorber bounce test - too weak/dead?

IanMc

Hi Guys,

I have been wondering for a while if my supposedly new, old stock front shock absorbers are too weak or dead...

It is very easy to push the front wings down from the area just behind the headlights. Although it doesn't recoil dramatically, its just the ease at which you can compress/bounce the front of the car that concerns me. I dont remember my other Coupe's ever feeling this soft into corners.

I just took the opportunity to try the four other cars on our driveway and they are all WAY firmer and more difficult to push down on the front corners than the Cav, but they are all at least 30 years newer...

Shall  try to post upload a video of what I have so you can see if it is obviously wrong compared to your cars?

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Me neither. 

Take the shocks off. And compress them by hand. They should return to standard length in good time. If you push them in and they don’t even try to come back out themselves, they’ll be buggered. 

This is true with gas shocks with oil shocks should have a smooth hard resistance if you push down or pull hard on them they will not extend without help.

Try the video file now guys, I just tried to add it again. You might have to save it somewhere first though...

As you can tell, I dont really know how to include video files lol

Just tried it myself and I have a horrible feeling that it still doesnt work - oops!

Edited by IanMc

dont worry ian .the original gm shocks are pretty soft anyway. mine all have new genuine gm shocks and are how they are supposed to be. you can change them for a firmer non gm one ( even current boge ones are firmer) if you like but it will spoil the ride quality.in my opinion. 

obviously its a matter of taste and some people will prefer a firmer shock but feel free to try.they are cheap enough and easy enough to change

i remember a guy up our road many years ago saying he had been to quick fit for something and they told him all of his shocks were worn out and too soft. they replaced them and told him he would soon feel the difference. 

oh boy did he feel the difference!  the car was solid as a rock and lost all of its driver comfort.it was horrible and yet you could still bounce the corners but it stopped moving pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Potholes!, gonna start carrying planks of wood in boot, just to get across em!   Back to shock availability, i am up there with bilstein shocks, avo adjustables etc, think im -60mm springs, so its racetrack hard.  Is there any gas, oil, options and worth buying, was really impressed on the build quality of the adjustable avos. 

• Like 1

A basic, but good guide to the shocks relationship with handling and spring rates can be read at;

http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspension-tuning.php

I always though the front end of a std manta was too soft for its class ( sports coupe), it's not a GT so it should be setup as correctly. Front ARB should have been thicker too. Obviously the GTE did somewhat action the issues, but still not fully.