1.6s 75hp engine upgrades

mantageek88

Hi guys! I'm looking to do some upgrades on my 1.6s manta b engine. I was searching the internet for what to do to get a little more power out of it, so here's my plan. Since I'm planning to upgrade to 2.0 liter engine in the future I was looking for mods that I can carry over to the 2.0 L engine in the future. I saw on the forums that the enem y12 camshaft is a good choice for the 2.0 so  I'm wondering can I use it with the 1.6 for a while. I also saw that DCOE 44/45 weber carburetors are good option so that makes me wonder what do I have to do to make them suitable for the 1.6 or maybe there's a better option. I'm wondering how much power can I make with this setup or something similar. I'll take any help I can get! Thanks in advance!!

Personally, what ever money you’re going to spend on a few horses for the 1.6, spend it on getting the 2.0 done. The 1.6 is just a plodder. Anything gained on the 1.6 won’t be worth doing in my best opinion. 

Yep have one, and no, wouldn't even try! I understand what you are trying to do, and it does make sense, but if you are sitting at 75ish, if you gain 25bhp you are only up to 2.0 bhp. 

But if you are into that sorta thing, some are, just for the challenge, the gt source club has a great CIH source page, 

https://www.opelgtsource.com/tips

1.6 power, It is what it is, stick the tunes up, seat back and cruise! See can you overtake anything? 

Edited by ®evo03

I know what you guys mean. A lot of people have said that to me but my thought process kind of goes like this. I'm planning to do a bored out 1.9l with 1.6 crank and lifters, a sports cam, a ported head, bigger valves and maybe a lightened flywheel. With the setup I mentioned earlier I should be pushing around 150- 160 HP which as I'm told the 1.6 drivetrain can't handle, so I would probably need a stronger gearbox and new front and rear axles. I won't mention the other suspension and brake upgrades. All of that I currently can't afford and I'm dying to do anything to make the car more fun. : ) 

If you are using a 5 speed getrag gearbox they can take anything up to 250hp, any more any they die. The 1600 year axle, the internals should take it but the gearing will max out too soon so better off with a 2.0 axle. The rest of it is fine but the front brakes will need upgrading. 

Ran my A series with that BHP with just an uprated diff and front brakes and poly suspension bushes and all fine. 1.9 bored out to 2.1 with twin carbs.

I have a lightened and balanced flywheel that i need shift if your interested? not needed for mine as now its a bit more than a 2.1 and needed a bigger clutch!

Im running the ENEM cam in mine and so far its a good cam, better than the kent one i ran in the 2.1

Andy

Twin 45 carbs will be perfect for that setup.