Irish blue

1200bandit

7 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

I have heard that this headlight setup is illegal and you may fail the MOT with the side lights illuminating like that. 

Had 4 side lights plus day time running lights on the red one , no problem with the MOT ,but will check tomorrow as l am in work 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

How does the bolts fit to the headlights, l will try to get on the eBay site and try to understand the listings 

1 hour ago, 1200bandit said:

Had 4 side lights plus day time running lights on the red one , no problem with the MOT ,but will check tomorrow as l am in work 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

How does the bolts fit to the headlights, l will try to get on the eBay site and try to understand the listings 

You could always just disconnect it for MOT otherwise.

• Haha 1

I have a i20 as a daily drive, the lights are very bright, lower lights come on when turning the steering wheel. If remember right driving a manta in the dark ( very dark roads) was a good guess and a hope and a prayer ( young and foolish) being old and more wise l need all the help l can get

to be honest on a very very dark road the lights are excellent (contrast plays its part)its on a well lit street that they dont look super fantastic but im getting on a bit now and dont notice any issues. i suppose its what you are used to.  plus i dont like the way modern cars lights are way too bright and can easily dazzle oncoming cars.

• Like 1

Had a word with a mot tester 

4 side lights ok

4 main beam headlights ok

Only 2 dip beam aloud 

So will have to cut and isolate the wiring 

l am on plan number 4 for the headlight adjustment if this doesn’t work will have to have a good rethink 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

Had a word with a mot tester 

4 side lights ok

4 main beam headlights ok

Only 2 dip beam aloud 

So will have to cut and isolate the wiring 

l am on plan number 4 for the headlight adjustment if this doesn’t work will have to have a good rethink 

My BMW has LED dip and all 4 are on at the same time

• Thanks 1

It has to with the pattern of the dip beam on the headlight pattern when tested( 4 lights on will not be the correct pattern?) But was told just disconnect the wiring then refit it as long as when it was tested it was going to pass or not.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 1200bandit said:

It has to with the pattern of the dip beam on the headlight pattern when tested( 4 lights on will not be the correct pattern?) But was told just disconnect the wiring then refit it as long as when it was tested it was going to pass or not.

Ah, that is good to know tbh, so they can’t fail on bulbs fitted if they are not wired. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/02/2022 at 21:56, 1200bandit said:

The new Hyundai Tucson has five lights on each side. I wonder what sort of pattern they give 😳

In Belgium: If you fit extra high beams (as on rallycars) and fog lights (as a lot of Manta's have) they must work or MOT failure. But if you cover them with something like duck tape no problem😁.

The ventilated discs I fitted at the front (Carlton/Rekord 2.2i) of my GSI are illegal, as also an upgrade drums to discs at the rear🤥

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

In Belgium: If you fit extra high beams (as on rallycars) and fog lights (as a lot of Manta's have) they must work or MOT failure. But if you cover them with something like duck tape no problem😁.

The ventilated discs I fitted at the front (Carlton/Rekord 2.2i) of my GSI are illegal, as also an upgrade drums to discs at the rear🤥

@H-400 do you mind me using this as an example of poor legislation?

• Like 1

Mot is only fit for the day it passes, and not fit for purpose, never was what about the other 364 days? There pass ethos is wrong,  eg imbalance,  if both rear brakes are 5% each side, it passes regardless of them being useless,  if one rear shock is bust, it's a 80% / 20% indifference, fail. If both are bust 20%, no indifference,  it passes regardless of being useless. 

Sorry you can't use this as an example of poor legislation, they themselves should know better!

AAlthough if your rear wiper isn't working,  remove the arm, if it's not there it a pass!  If you didn't laugh, you would cry.

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Mot is only fit for the day it passes, and not fit for purpose, never was what about the other 364 days? There pass ethos is wrong,  eg imbalance,  if both rear brakes are 5% each side, it passes regardless of them being useless,  if one rear shock is bust, it's a 80% / 20% indifference, fail. If both are bust 20%, no indifference,  it passes regardless of being useless. 

Sorry you can't use this as an example of poor legislation, they themselves should know better!

AAlthough if your rear wiper isn't working,  remove the arm, if it's not there it a pass!  If you didn't laugh, you would cry.

Are you sure about this? As my understanding is if it does not conform then it’s a fail. The situation you describe is 2 wrongs = it is right

if this is true then its definately a silly loophole that needs sorting. my understanding has always been that if a certain age of car has to have certain things fitted then they must be present and working,also if you fit any additional items they must also work. 

plus why would youwant something on your car that didnt work anyway. its supposed to be up to the owner to maintain his car to mot standard for the rest of the year besides the day the car was tested and not just check/ repair as req only when spotted by a tester. 

it doesnt apply to many on here i know but there will be many a classic ( or modern for that matter) owner who hasnt got a clue as to wether their car is legal / in good order or not and they are the people that this loophole amongst others should be looked at for.

• Like 1

When we MOT a car it will fail the MOT if the suspension is leaking dew the suspension oil may leak onto the brakes yes remove the wiper arms it will pass. Front brake pads can be 1mm and a pass. It can corrosion/ rot on it will pass as long is 12 inches from a main support.A MOT is only good when getting tested so can drive out and swap the wheels for worn ones.Have 4 dip beam working just before the MOT disconnect the wiring,pass Some things are required by law ,but will pass the MOT if not working . Bits of body sticking out/ sharp bits will fail the mot ,put duct tape on is a pass.

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 1

yes exactly. and obviously if an owner gets an mot pass and then drives home and puts 4 bald tyres on hes then making the car not mot standard hence mot is invalid. 

weve all said it before regarding other issues but it boils down to the factthat there arnt enough police and never will be.

• Thanks 1

Okay back to the headlight on lrish blue. I have attached 6 mm rod to the headlight but it will not line up with the holes in the headlight housing.( don’t what to start putting holes everywhere in the housing)

When refit the housing with headlight fitted ( the adjustment rods which are not straight) they are behind the panel where the headlight body bolts on. 
This is really doing my head in

Can anyone post some photos,information as to where l am going wrong 

Edited by 1200bandit

Guessing there are 3 rods from the headlight housing to the support,  have you tried rotating or are both housings the same.... What type of headlight,  irmscher later type or early type.

Pics would help us see your issue. 

Seen, you have the later type irmscher, so eradicates the front bezel. 

Think the lenses themselves are the issue,  or should I say, bracket attachments. 

Think they are originally in a cassette type effort, round plastic collar from the front and one from the back,  that holds the three bolts,  then loaded with springs, and the plastic nuts. See can I find a pic. 

• Thanks 1