Remanufactured Panels - B series Battery Tray Repair Panel (RHD)

Irmscher Man

Remanufactured Panels - B series Battery Tray Repair Panel (RHD)  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Please add your name to the list if you are interested in purchasing a B Series Battery Tray Repair Panel.

• Please put my name on the list and contact me about payment
    • I am not interested

the largest battery you can fit is 100 size to a cav or manta anyway and the bracket would have to be fitted in its standard position to hold the rear in place.the battery sits up to the insulation .sideways its up to the insulation on one side and to the bonnet cable on the other. you cant go taller (a 096 is taller and very close if not touching the bonnet !)

i always fit a 100 size .( always best to fit the largest in the available space to any car realy)

as regards this or any replacement panels .why oh why dont they make them from galvanised .ive never understood repairing stuff in normal steel(zintec is only marginally better)and when doing any repairs now i always use galv.ive seen so many welded repairs on cars done years ago that have rusted through again,yes they may not have been protected fully on the back but using galv would prevent this.

i got a carlton back in 94.they are well know for rusting the inner wing turret area so while mine was still good i cut out most of the known area and fitted galv steel.  this car is now still perfectly rustfree in this area to this day !

4 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

the largest battery you can fit is 100 size to a cav or manta anyway and the bracket would have to be fitted in its standard position to hold the rear in place.the battery sits up to the insulation .sideways its up to the insulation on one side and to the bonnet cable on the other. you cant go taller (a 096 is taller and very close if not touching the bonnet !)

i always fit a 100 size .( always best to fit the largest in the available space to any car realy)

as regards this or any replacement panels .why oh why dont they make them from galvanised .ive never understood repairing stuff in normal steel(zintec is only marginally better)and when doing any repairs now i always use galv.ive seen so many welded repairs on cars done years ago that have rusted through again,yes they may not have been protected fully on the back but using galv would prevent this.

i got a carlton back in 94.they are well know for rusting the inner wing turret area so while mine was still good i cut out most of the known area and fitted galv steel.  this car is now still perfectly rustfree in this area to this day !

Galv would only help to a curtain degree as you have to grind the galv off on the areas your welding too. Not to mention it can make you serious poorly if the gasses are inhaled whilst welding. Most people nowadays do not run these cars throughout the year and are garaged and kept dry. So I think I correctly done repair from zintec, prepped, primed and painted will suffice for most people. Along with that the rest of the car isn't galv either so not really much gained in that sense either. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Galv would only help to a curtain degree as you have to grind the galv off on the areas your welding too. Not to mention it can make you serious poorly if the gasses are inhaled whilst welding. Most people nowadays do not run these cars throughout the year and are garaged and kept dry. So I think I correctly done repair from zintec, prepped, primed and painted will suffice for most people. Along with that the rest of the car isn't galv either so not really much gained in that sense either. 

Absolutely agree on staying away from Galv. 

its all personal preference. yes you can get rusting on cut edges and need to avoid the fumes but its what im only using now.have seen way too many "repairs" ! that have rusted again worse than before in the same place and yes it is more than likely the result of lack of proper finishing but using galv takes it out of the equasion.i remember years ago doing a repair on my floor and recently had to do another just next to it ( easily 15 years apart) and the original repair looks like it was just done yesterday !

On 30/10/2021 at 20:57, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Not to mention it can make you serious poorly if the gasses are inhaled whilst welding. 

Zintec coating is very similar to Galvanising from what I have read and they both produce poisonous gasses when welded, which without the proper precautions, can be quite serious if inhaled. When reparing panels, its usually the area that is probably going to be most susceptible to rust anyway (i.e the joints and edges), and the coating is burnt off, so you have to apply some form of rust protection treatment afterwards anyway. 

Isn't Zintec basically just Zinc applied via Electroplating rather than hot dipping (Like Galvanised)?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Benny mc said:

Hi guys, first post on the forum! Bought my first project kind of a mid life crisis 2 door Ascona. Plan is to convert to RHD, can a battery tray be ordered still?

Welcome benny !

The club ones come with the whole shelf 👍, otherwise there is another chap selling a version on FB that is just the batt tray.

Thanks guys for the replies, I have been trolling through the forum for a while now and yea some priceless info for sure.

I think I'd like to order a tray from the club. No hurry on it but do I order through the shop or how can I start the process 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benny mc said:

Thanks guys for the replies, I have been trolling through the forum for a while now and yea some priceless info for sure.

I think I'd like to order a tray from the club. No hurry on it but do I order through the shop or how can I start the process 

They are available through the shop website but you can always just PM if you want any more info. We can take ebay payments or bank transfer so hopefully it should be easy enough. If you are a club member you also get a 10% discount.