Hello , Valuation advice required

Hi Guys,

I have a Manta 400 (widebody) and im considering selling the car. I have been searching the internet to get some comparable values but cant seem to find any for sale.

Any idea what a genuine Opel manta is valued at these days.

Car is in very good condition with no signs of rust. Probably needs a respray back to white if cars was reach its full potential.

59,000 Kms.

Do 400's in Holland or Germany fetch more than in the UK?

Thanks,,,

@Manta400: Is this a real "400" or a replica? I'v got about 15 screenshots of the real 400's that were for sale and sold with prices. I needed those for the valuation of my "400". 

17 hours ago, Manta 400 said:

Thanks Jess,

Yes I was thinking Holland, Belgium or Germany would be the correct spot to Market the car, Any idea have any changed hands lately and what kind of prices.

Thanks,

H400 is your man for sure as he is in the know and the lives that side of the stream.

But if you fancy posting some pics https://imgur.com is best place. But as per H400 questions, that information would definitely help to get you a rough figure.

Edited by Jessopia74

Had a PM from Manta 400, so here they come. Look also at the date (if there is one):

npE507c.jpg

876QIbv.jpg

gX9RZB6.jpg

onnevfM.jpg

miK3s6i.jpg

yi9SToc.jpg

SPrDpQe.jpg

DRglb1u.jpg

ioPzqLm.jpg

KTBXPU7.jpg

tqUv0VM.jpg

Zfn1D59.png

vMwASot.png

h9Zb9ag.png

v1Bwb9E.png

JaNS1UD.png

udVlEa1.png

Were some more then 15, also some Ascona-400's. Noticed after years the prices of rallycars go higher than the road cars. But the rallycars are easier to hide their origin. Many rallycars were damaged beyond repair and then the spare "400" was taken and the numbers and VIN were easily "fixed". Also the damage of racing makes it difficult to find out if the body is real "400". Road cars have not that problem.

Grts, Herman

• Like 5

Thanks Herman, 

Very interesting reading.

Out of the 245 reported 400's , was this just the road going cars or is this the total cars produced including Road and Rally.

Those anybody know what is the expected number of road going genuine 400's remaining.

Yes, and those wide body's came narrow from new and were sended to Irmscher to fit the wide body panels. A part of those 245 road cars were used in rally's so they were rebuild. In those 245 cars are also the 27 i300 included. Irmscher bought those 27 cars only for the engines and solled those body's with a 3.0 6 cilinder lump... Then you'v got the works cars: 38 Rally Manta's (RM) were build and they have that special VIN number "TPHE" (Tüv Prüfung HEssen) . In the UK they builded the Safety Devices Manta 400 (Don't know the numbers but Simon Powell will). And then there are the local manufactors that builded a "400" by the rules of the FIA... 

Some Manta's were imported from Holland to Belgium and back only to try to get that "400" on the papers, some years ago a Belgian was bragging with his barn find original "400" but he posted pictures of the chassis and I recognised directly it was not a "400". The pics were only a few hours on internet but I allready copied them. So that brings us to the fact a "400" is not so special if you compare them with the normal Manta, but they are rare... When you compare that with a Metro 6R4, you'v got to be a car builder.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Herman, out of the 245 cars, was this minus the 27 i300s, and minus 38 works cars, which would leave 180 cars,  is this correct?

Where safety device using these also? Remainder of 180. Was the swindon engine provided separately for these manufactures.

Im sure some or destroyed, some have destroyed themselves, would you have a guess at how many remain?

Ive seen a ex works car, need to check chassis number, but damage to rear quarter revealed green colour, quarter panel was damaged early on in life 1987, and was beaten out, as usual rallycar fix.

Damage revealed, hundreds of hammer marks, and very original green paint. Not original 400 colour or any colour you would paint a rally car! 

only seen this on mk1 cav or early manta b? Would local manufactures have used these shells opposed to a genuine 400, therefore creating more than 245, total. 

Where they listed correctly on the V5s as Manta 400?

If you search by engine, the numbers are low. But those numbers can't be right as  Andy has 2x 2.4 CIH based cars 🤔

B576651D-C8E0-4579-8E4C-EA4026E331CD.jpeg

Edited by Jessopia74
Add pic
  • Like 1

Hi Evo, the 27 i300's are in the 245 400's. Not the works cars. Think safety devices used also 400 road cars to make rally cars, cause I saw once one in Belgium with the well known Hire for heat look. The "400" engines were available at Opel and could be ordered as naked crate engine, so Swindon could do there own thing with the preparation. Should be cheaper also. The "400" shells (body's) were also available, but why buying an expensive body when you can take a cheap body of a road Manta? That's why the ex works car has got that odd green.   Conrero is also a well known rallycar builder of Manta-400 (and a lot of other Opels) so it is difficult to count how many cars were made, lets say how many are left.   I know somebody that bought a Manta-400 rallycar and found the VIN of a Manta-B 1.9S under the right side of the rollcage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Hi Evo, the 27 i300's are in the 245 400's. Not the works cars. Think safety devices used also 400 road cars to make rally cars, cause I saw once one in Belgium with the well known Hire for heat look. The "400" engines were available at Opel and could be ordered as naked crate engine, so Swindon could do there own thing with the preparation. Should be cheaper also. The "400" shells (body's) were also available, but why buying an expensive body when you can take a cheap body of a road Manta? That's why the ex works car has got that odd green.   Conrero is also a well known rallycar builder of Manta-400 (and a lot of other Opels) so it is difficult to count how many cars were made, lets say how many are left.   I know somebody that bought a Manta-400 rallycar and found the VIN of a Manta-B 1.9S under the right side of the rollcage.

Yeah, how many 'rally 400' cars have not been re-shelled over the years, very few I suspect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, ascona400r said:

I have an original one owner 400 here at home. Wide bodied car with complete service history. Needs light restoration..

Would love to know a realistic value for it but with current prices that may be difficult..

Amazing what is sat out there. Any pictures and what work does it need?

1 hour ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Amazing what is sat out there. Any pictures and what work does it need?

Yea will throw up a few pics when i get home from work. The car is complete - just needs taking apart and given a good coat of paint then a fresh rebuild. 

Edited by ascona400r
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ascona400r said:

Yea will throw up a few pics when i get home from work. The car is complete - just needs taking apart and given a good coat of paint then a fresh rebuild. 

To folk like us, we can only dream of having a car like that sat in our garage! I’d never sell it if it was! 

• 1 month later...