KDF 831V Code Brown

Jonathan Pounsett

I chose the 600lb springs in the end. The ride height looks the same as before but I didn’t take any measurements so I can’t be sure. 

The question now is should I retain the original rear springs or upgrade those to match?

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

14 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Nice job, never really thought about the mesh. Guess it was only necessary for the blower inlet stop large leaves etc getting sucked in 🤔

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 10:37, Jonathan Pounsett said:

For some reason only the passenger side scuttle vent has a mesh screen 🤷‍♂️

Had a look at my B1 today, the "400". Got also only at one side the mesh screen. Also the passenger side but we have LHD Manta's so it's also as the UKcars the inlet for the ventilation/heater. The other side(without)is the one above the bottle of the screen washer

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve made new side panels from 0.8mm plate, covered them with vinyl and refitted service book holder and accelerator pedal protector.

Drivers side holds AFR gauge, fuel temp gauge, a 12 volt socket and 4 additional warning lights. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

I booked a windscreen replacement with my insurance company preferred installer, Auto Windscreens, and was surprised when they said they could do it on Monday 18/07/22!

Just had a call from them to say it’s a special order with a 12 week manufacturing period. I won’t be driving it this summer 😭

Also I can’t have bronze with blue sun visor as this has been discontinued - but I can have bronze with darker bronze sun visor. I thought this might look better.

• Like 1

The door cards have been recovered but only fixed temporarily as I’m thinking of fitting electric windows and don’t want to cut any unnecessary holes in the Blitz fabric. 

• Like 3

New panelling fitted in the boot. Hidden boxes below the floor for contraband and the floor has strengthening ribs should I need to transport a body. 

Carpet ordered. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ve rerouted the fuel lines away from the hot exhaust. They now run through the inner wing and down the outside of the swan neck in a similar fashion GTE’s but on the passenger side. The lower portion of the pipes has been sleeved with rubber hose to protect them from damage caused by debris thrown up from the wheel.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yup, that’s perfect mate, but I think I would have put them through their own hole to save stress on the brake pipe tbh. 

I thought the same but the hole is quite large and the pipes aren’t as big as they look because them have a loose fitting sleeve over them. The brake pipe shouldn’t be affected but I will keep a close eye on it just incase. Also I didn’t want to drill any more holes in the car. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I thought the same but the hole is quite large and the pipes aren’t as big as they look because them have a loose fitting sleeve over them. The brake pipe shouldn’t be affected but I will keep a close eye on it just incase. Also I didn’t want to drill any more holes in the car. 

Ah, yeah it probably is a visual thing . About drilling holes. Please always use a hole cutter as it’s easier to then cut a blank to spot seam weld back in if needed.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve thought about Electric windows for a while now and finally got round to doing the conversion. My original plan was to change the complete mechanism and install one from a Land Rover defender that seem to have very similar dimensions. This wasn’t going to work as the main body of the mechanism is too fat to fit between the inner door skin and the glass so I manufactured a hybrid using the Land Rover motor grafted onto the Manta mechanism. 

A bit of head scratching was required to sort the electrics as I wanted to use momentary toggle switches and this was achieved using a pair of relays to switch the polarity sent to the motor. 

Very happy with the results. 

• Like 3