KDF 831V Code Brown

Jonathan Pounsett

I’ve used the Manta mechanism but I had to extend it by 3 or 4mm.

Brief instructions;

Drill out rivets

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Prise off the cover plate and remove splined spindle. Be careful the mechanism is spring loaded and will deliver a powerful blow to your nuts.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Cut the end off the mechanism. Keep all the fixing holes intact.

File out the spindle hole slightly for the new motor and hammer flat the edges of end section. Weld a tab on one end for fixing hole (flush) and another tab to extend the back plate.

File off the cog teeth at about 30 degrees so they don’t foul inside the housing.

Weld the two sections back together leaving a 4mm gap. Ideally fit the motor and mesh the teeth and cog together for a perfect tigh fit.

Cut door aperture for motor.

Put it all back together. Done.

Edited by Jonathan Pounsett
Typo!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Cheers for pick, got one with it assembled? Not sure how far motor sticks out 

The motor hardly sticks out at all and the flex in the door card is sufficient to cope with it. I doubt any one will notice it. 

I cut a smaller hole in the passenger door. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

New wipers. I’ve gone big 600mm for me and 500mm for passenger. I’ve had to swap over the measurements to bottom of windscreen so the shorter wiper follows the long one;

New Manta SR sticker;

MOT time 😬;

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few nos parts from Anthony Drosos. Hard to find so really nice to have. Thanks @OPEL PARTS GREECE.

Tagged Opel Parts Greece
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

So it's adjustable on either end of arm. Wondering what or why are the two clamps fitted also, is it clamped to something. 

The shiny bar at the top is the new link. It has a rose joint at either end one with a left-hand thread and one with the right-hand thread so turning the rod will lengthen or shorter the link without having to dismantle everything. Perfect for achieving the correct pinion angle. 

The anti roll bar is clamped to the new links as it was when it was in an Opel Commodore. The original Commodore link was rectangular in cross-section so had squared off U bolts holding the anti-roll bar but I’ve swapped these for new stainless steel clamps as both the new top link and anti-roll bar are a round section.

I’ll try and get some petter photos at the weekend. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/08/2022 at 23:21, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I’ve used the Manta mechanism but I had to extend it by 3 or 4mm.

Brief instructions;

Drill out rivets

Prise off the cover plate and remove splined spindle. Be careful the mechanism is spring loaded and will deliver a powerful blow to your nuts.

Cut the end off the mechanism. Keep all the fixing holes intact.

File out the spindle hole slightly for the new motor and hammer flat the edges of end section. Weld a tab on one end for fixing hole (flush) and another tab to extend the back plate.

File off the cog teeth at about 30 degrees so they don’t foul inside the housing.

Weld the two sections back together leaving a 4mm gap. Ideally fit the motor and mesh the teeth and cog together for a perfect tigh fit.

Cut door aperture for motor.

Put it all back together. Done.

Jonathan would you mind if this mod was used as an article in the club magazine? 

15 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Jonathan would you mind if this mod was used as an article in the club magazine? 

Not at all. I hope it will be useful to people who may struggle to find replacement parts to fix a broken or worn out manual mechanism. Of all the mods I’ve done this was the most successful - these are better than any of my cars with factory fitted electric windows! I did post some follow up photos and a YouTube link.

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Not at all. I hope it will be useful to people who may struggle to find replacement parts to fix a broken or worn out manual mechanism. Of all the mods I’ve done this was the most successful - these are better than any of my cars with factory fitted electric windows! I did post some follow up photos and a YouTube link.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It’s only taken 7 months but the replacement windscreen is fitted. Thanks to @Paul Barrett and the club for sorting the glass 😁

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

excellent.

hardest bit is putting the chrome bits in afterwards i find.

the proper tool never seems to work right with the original pieces as they get a bit brittle .( new ones dont last long either !)

The guy had the screen fitted in about half an hour then spent another hour and a half on the chrome trim. It’s not perfect but hard to see how it can be improved. I hope I can fettle it a bit on a hot day when the rubber and trim is softer and more malleable 🤞

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

So long as those lower screen corners are properly sealed too, that’s where water ingress can sit and rot away 

I know. This is what they were like before and during repair;

Added photos
  • Like 3

Bad, but not as bad as some.  I just think it’s a topic that widow fitters are not aware of, so always good to point it out to them. Guy that does mine had to order in the right sealer (semi setting stuff) as they don’t use it on hardly anything now so don’t carry it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Good to see my efforts have been worth it. 
need to get the rest of the screens to those that have bought and paid for now. 

will be making the journey up soon to drop off a load.

Are they heated? Don't shoot! Just asking 😜

Great car Jonathan,plenty of character, trick bits and very unique. Always like the styling 👍