KDF 831V Code Brown

Jonathan Pounsett

• 4 weeks later...

New speedo cable arrived from Speedy Cables. Very nice for £31.00 plus vat. 

I have a few wiring jobs to finish/tidy so will have to take the dash out again soon. I’m going to put this off for a while and enjoy just driving about.  

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Lovely looking car! 👍 Hazel Brown was a great colour on those late SRB's. However, I think the white Ronal's would look much better in silver.

Don’t say that! I have another set in silver but was going to powder coat them in black. 

I may put the silver ones on at the weekend to see what they look like. I hope the tyres are okay 🤞🏼

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Don’t say that! I have another set in silver but was going to powder coat them in black. 

I may put the silver ones on at the weekend to see what they look like. I hope the tyres are okay 🤞🏼

Not sure black would be an improvement to be honest. The detail would be lost.

Anthracite, as per the Exclusives might work better. Of course, you could go OEM with a set of the ATS alloys (in silver). 14" or 15" if you can find them, would look better than the original 13" rims.

Good luck! 🙂

• Like 1

Hmm Anthracite you said!  Funny enough someone is buying a set of my wheels exactly in a scheme that would work if you get your Ronals done same.

Diamond cut lip is what would suit your car. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Spare what? Plugs - what else?

Leads, rotor arm, thermostat. any issues like wiring they can be repaired on site, but think of the issues that might give a misfire and the tuner won’t have spares of. 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2023 at 21:23, Jessopia74 said:

Leads, rotor arm, thermostat. any issues like wiring they can be repaired on site, but think of the issues that might give a misfire and the tuner won’t have spares of. 

Good point, been years since I went to the dyno, must take the A series once it’s wiring is back in to get the throttle bodies setup properly.

• Like 1

Need to check pinion bearing first!

But Pinion depth is too much so it’s touching the cage.  that would mean the crown need to be shimmed so that the pinion does not need to come in so far to set correct backlash. This is done when they set up the diff and crush the tube to set the correct mesh/backlash.
I don’t even know if crown wheel mesh shims are available for these diffs, but get the pinion bearing checked first as your going to need to strip the diff anyway

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Doesn’t look like crush bearing was torqued correctly or as Jess said not shimmed correctly for backlash, you’ll have metal in the oil now, strip it down asap to prevent anymore damage 

Why would it suddenly start rubbing? As far as i’m aware It’s never been apart. 

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Need to check pinion bearing first!

But Pinion depth is too much so it’s touching the cage.  that would mean the crown need to be shimmed so that the pinion does not need to come in so far to set correct backlash. This is done when they set up the diff and crush the tube to set the correct mesh/backlash.
I don’t even know if crown wheel mesh shims are available for these diffs, but get the pinion bearing checked first as your going to need to strip the diff anyway

The diff man said “looks like the pinion bearing is on the way out” He’ll renew the bearing, shimms and seal for £240. I hope there’s nothing else wrong 🤞🏼

I’m taking the axle out now. 

• Like 1