400 Meeting in Holland

H-400

This year there is again a "400 Meeting" in Holland:

154689638_2198666310265109_6212365668712

As usually all Opels are welcome but this year all Opel sports cars can book a place indoors together with the "400's" (Original & replica) 

More info at: 

http://www.manta400.nl/400treffen 2021.htm

https://nl-nl.facebook.com/groups/148235508701050/

if you want to book a car indoors: 

manta400@ziggo.nl

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As promised some pics of the meeting. Cause of the bad weather there were less cars than expected.

WuZvDKX.jpg

A genuine TE2800, in those days the TE2800 was one of the cars that were tested for the Belgian highway police. The Porsche911 was chosen...

dbbpuXS.jpg

The 6 in line of the TE2800, a big heavy lump. The battery is moved to the back of the car

KLdrmTJ.jpg

This is what we expect in the engine-bay of a Manta-A

UQ0p12i.jpg

Nice "B", the owner seems to be a firefighter, respect.

P0LsDgr.jpg

L8ivv3u.jpg

pFZHRGX.jpg

7Z6a2hg.jpg

Great looking "C-coupe"

Luge78T.jpg

85dY9pP.jpg

Turbo Ascona B, not allowed in Belgium...😥

v5JvWXy.jpg

fGdI0TF.jpg

u7hSBUP.jpg

fXr1phD.jpg

I9JOFlr.jpg

yKxWPvy.jpg

lXUEvrr.jpg

EyN5r1m.jpg

Genuine "400" with a service car, an Opel Rekord with 5-stud rebuild and Ronals. 

Grts, Herman

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

That turbo Ascona is registered in Holland, so they are allowed to fit another engine in a car. As in Germany and the UK, and all the Europeen countries. Only in Belgium we are not allowed to tune our engines or fit another engine with more power. Even fitting vented brake discs is not done, The Belgian government is not car friendly... 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

That turbo Ascona is registered in Holland, so they are allowed to fit another engine in a car. As in Germany and the UK, and all the Europeen countries. Only in Belgium we are not allowed to tune our engines or fit another engine with more power. Even fitting vented brake discs is not done, The Belgian government is not car friendly... 

Great photos thanks for sharing, we may be in for a shakeup here in the UK if this very loosely written “tampering” thing gets traction. It’s a consultation for now & the usual opinions are in comments on social media but there doesn’t seem to be so much engagement with the official channel. 
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards

• Like 1

Ofcourse I'm the first to say it's got to be safe on the public roads. When you install an engine with more power the brakes and suspension need also an upgrade. About ten years ago the Belgian government reorganised the whole "oldtimer" regulations. From then on we had to go also to the "MOT", but not every year. But from then on we are allowed to drive where ever we want and also after sunset. And some oldtimers didn't pass the MOT cause of rotten chassisrails and sills etc. 

But rebuilding a car as you guys do is not done. They call the inquisition and your car is banned from the public road. Lowering the car or fitting nice rims is not a problem with the paperwork that proves it is street legal. As an example: changing your chassisrails to fit a 4 link rear axle is not done, your VIN will be administrative annulled 😥.

My insurance got mixed up and where going refused to renew my insurance, thought i has a c20 let fitted, the refused to insurance as they thought i fitted a turbo engine to a non turbo car. That being never a turbo model from the manufacture.

Now, could courtney be argued as a manufacture if they supplied the car new, or broadspeed, manta a. ?

Thats a shame Herman, when you consider a modern turbo engine is more reliable, less emissions, more economical.

What happens if you already modified your classic before law changed? In Belgium. 

I’m all for safety too Herman & completely agree nobody should be upping power on 30+ year old car without upgrading the suspension & brakes but my concern is that the Law is a very blunt instrument. We could very easily fall foul of the letter of the law even if it was not the spirit behind it, all it takes is ill considered bureaucracy to declare a brake upgrade or servo replacement to fall under “tampering,”

There is already in place the mechanism to stop changes to chasis , and axles etc for cars. 
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

This in theory states that you can't alter the chasis to mount a different axle as the type approval would null. Nor can you swap too many main parts under the points system. Always a worry you will end up with a Qplate 😬

In my opinion it has been coming for a long time, however, most historic rally / track cars are only ever used at motorsport events anyway and this is the bulk of the heavily modified cars. I believe this new change is needed when we consider the dangers of EV or Hydrogen conversions that could be completed in the future. BUT it must have a cut off year as no legislation can retrospectively be applied to all the current historic MOT exempt vehicles. And that could be the cut off year 🤔

On 13/11/2021 at 22:34, ®evo03 said:

What happens if you already modified your classic before law changed? In Belgium.

It was always like that, also before the rules were changed.   I have no problems whit an updated engine in an old car, but it's got to be safe. And the government has got to understand at some time there will be no spares anymore for our old barrels and we'll have to look for parts from modern origin.