2.0E Cih & Getrag 5 speed box project.

Mike.

I recently got the opportunity to pick up this 2.0E Cih engine and Getrag 5 speed gearbox locally, it’s from an 1986 C reg Manta coupe which was stripped and prepared for rallying. My intention is to strip down and re build so I have a reconditioned engine and box ready to go, plus it gives me a small project just to keep me busy.

The 2.0E cih with P2E head,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Getrag 5 speed gearbox,

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

starting to strip off all ancillaries and box them up,

ready to clean when I get a minute,

flywheel bolt removed, probably easier on the pallet rather than in the engine bay,

Clutch plate and clutch removed, P bolt marked and flywheel removed so I can mount the engine on the engine stand,

Rocker cover, timing casing/ oil pump and sump all stripped, cleaned and painted,

engine mounted on stand and block de greased, wire brushed and painted with HT engine paint just to keep things cleaner in the garage, now I can work on it with getting oil everywhere,

my next job will be to start cleaning the inlet manifold, exhaust manifold etc so I have clean parts to work with then the full strip down and re build, probably a autumn/winter project.

had a quick go over a small part of the gearbox with a wire brush to get an idea of the final results with the box, looks encouraging, loads more time needed on this along with an oil change,

• Like 11

I know exactly what you mean, the small orange o ring, like a cutting of hose on top left of timing case. I have cleaned all faces of timing case, head and block but as yet I haven’t purchased a complete gasket set, that’s on my to do list for assembly in the Autumn, along with oil stem seals and head bolt set I need to purchase these parts so in the meantime I’m pushing forward with cleaning and dismantling in preparation. I also have a Kent 214 fast road cam which I intend to fit but don’t know if my existing hydraulic lifters will do or if I need to purchase solid lifters?

Edited by Mike.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I would like to ask did you need to drill/ make a new hole for the gearshift lever or did it fit as was cause I'm doing the exact same conversion on my 1.2 L manta from 1978 thanks in advance for any answers 

Hi Nik Pap,

I have a Manta B GT/E with the existing original 2.0E engine and the Getrag 5 speed box all in good working order, the Engine and box above are for spares just in case I ever need to replace them and it gives me a small project to do since my Manta is all done, up and running. They were available locally to me so far too good an opportunity to pass up on.

Edited by Mike.

31 minutes ago, Nik Pap said:

Hi, I would like to ask did you need to drill/ make a new hole for the gearshift lever or did it fit as was cause I'm doing the exact same conversion on my 1.2 L manta from 1978 thanks in advance for any answers 

Are you replacing a 4 speed with a 5 speed?

16 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

hes replacing a 4 speed with a 5 yes but its a 1.2 manta . not sure the original hole location on those ?   maybee similar to a cav 1256

If you compare the 4 speed to the 5 speed box (i have an A series) the 5 speed stick is further back so if you want to have the stick in the same place you will need to shorten the 5 speed linkage (i have some pics somewhere, i will see if i can find them) then the stick will be in the right place.

You will need the 5 speed cross member for the back of the box as the 4 speed is angles and the 5 speed flat. You will also need the 5 speed gearbox mount as it wider and you cant use the 4 speed one. Thomas does them https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Damping-block-transmission-suspension-rear-5-speed-Getrag-240-265-cih-automatic

and make sure if you change the oil in the 5 speed to use the proper oil or it will be noisy and hard to select gears. GM GETRAG OIL – 1 # 93165290 and 19 40 182 GR.4.581

Not sure on your engine mounts on the 1.2 but there were 2 different types on the 1.6/1.9 Earl square and later round ones.

These might help.

Not sure if the tunnel location on yours will be in the same location as the later B series or not. You might be ok.

You would have to get the box and check but you can see from these its easy to do if you need to modify it.

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_20190430_1913031-scaled.jpg

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_20190430_1912122-scaled.jpg

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_20190430_1911296-scaled.jpg

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_20190430_1911096-scaled.jpg

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/IMG_20190430_1913397-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

googling the interior pics of a cavalier 1.3 vs a manta 5 speed the gearlever ( and console for that matter) do appear very very similar . hopefully the manta 1.2 would be a similar setup ?   not many if any were realy seen over here .

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

googling the interior pics of a cavalier 1.3 vs a manta 5 speed the gearlever ( and console for that matter) do appear very very similar . hopefully the manta 1.2 would be a similar setup ?   not many if any were realy seen over here .

Never seen one myself so have no clue what the engine looked like!

i would guess its the old pushrod engine similar to the vauxhall 1256 unit but i suppose it could also be the 1.2 ohc version. will have to google it .im curious myself !

just had a google.

no pics of a manta b with a 1.2 in but there are a couple of an A

defenately the old pushrod ohv engine . 

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

i would guess its the old pushrod engine similar to the vauxhall 1256 unit but i suppose it could also be the 1.2 ohc version. will have to google it .im curious myself !

just had a google.

I know the did the A with 1.2 but again never seen one of those. Will have to google as well 🙂

Hi Mike, nice project. Don't forget to bleed the oil pump before starting☝️.

@Nickolas: The centre console of a 1.2 Manta B is the same of an Ascona 400,  and also the Manta 400 first generation (B1). The most on this forum wil never seen a B 1.2 cause they were not available in the UK so a picture of the interieur:

In Germany they call it the "sportschaltung". The next pic is one of a "400" with the same centre console, with a Getrag 5-speed:

You can see it is the same, so you can use your centre console with the 5-speed. 

7 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

just had a google.

Yes metric version of the 1057/1159/1256cc Vauxhall lump. Had the 1.2 in my Kadett C coupe, the Vauxhall lump was an imperial version nearly identical to look at but most parts very slightly different so not much was interchangeable!