Project 2, ‘78 coupe, my second car 24 years ago....

jamie077366

Hi guys, so luckily I never scrapped my second car when I was 18, a gold manta coupe. Totally loved it, handled great, really comfortable but then... needed welding on chasis rails. Subframe came  off, my brother did a evening or two welding  on it But then it just stayed in his shed dormant. Luckily when he had the odd shed tidy he didn’t scrap it, i couldn’t of complained if he did, in those days Manta’s were worth pennies. Any way 24 years later it’s in my little shed. 
im not going to start on it until iv got the v8 hatch how I want it but my daughters ex boyfriend (strange) really wanted to get stuck in. So I gave him a wire brush and said have fun....

my thoughts were just to make the good bits not worsen until I get round to having a propper look.....

well so far it seams in pretty good shape, one chasis rail looks great with no swelling (will obviously know for sure when floor comes up, even  battery tray seams good, and.... wait for it.... roof appears solid....(sorting the hatch roof aged me... a lot)  obviously all usual things.... floors, inner wings, sills, arches, spare wheel well but it’s in much better shape than the hatch 👍

the plan for this one is to make as original and comfortable as possible, basically make it how I remember it. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, some of you may of spotted on the help section a pal started stripping the roof, and it seams as far as roofs go it’s pretty good....

he’s having a go at the boot at the minute, question... is the boot worth Saving as lots of rust under the the paint... no pin holes apparent but is in a bit of a state?

whats your thoughts ? 

7 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah, depends on availability/cost. Can the time fixing that be justified? I probably would replace it tbh, but I could understand wanting to keep & fix it

I think il cover it in rust converter so doesn’t worsen and keep a look out For another, this project is just to potter about with as and when so really no rush 👍🏻

• Like 1

Have a look at the website, bilt hamber, they have gel that neutralises rust, wouldnt leave it uncoated, use the gel rust converted, etch prime, fill and highbuild primer it. Or treat it and red oxide it, even red oxide has a timescale its only a primer which is porous. 

Id save it, guessing a decent one will cost more than materials used.  Great save. Original is best. 

• Like 2