CIH blocks and pistons

Snowy

I'm needing to rebore a 2L CIH due to bore corrosion so I'm hoping those who done similar recently can answer a few questions. As last time I rebuilt a CIH parts were easy to get hold of.

1. Does anyone know of a supplier of standard oversize pistons?

2. If not has anyone used the wossner pistons, if so any issues or comments?

3. I remember reading years ago that you can bore the 1600 block to 2000 with no issues, has anyone done this? I've only ever bored the 1900 block to 2000.

4. Anyone got a spare 1900 block lying around they don't want?

Thanks

20210709_134246.jpg

Edited by Snowy

Is it corroded that bad? Could you not get away with a good honing and clean up?

I know I had a 2.1 CIH years ago but think I sold it to Andy Rutter. So it is possible to bore out a 2.0. Isn’t the 2.2 a bored out 2.0 with different pistons and head? 

15 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Is it corroded that bad? Could you not get away with a good honing and clean up?

I know I had a 2.1 CIH years ago but think I sold it to Andy Rutter. So it is possible to bore out a 2.0. Isn’t the 2.2 a bored out 2.0 with different pistons and head? 

Oh you can get oversize, or you used to be able to, up to 97mm bore. The wossener pistons do this. But if anyone knows a source of standard oversize pistons these would be cheaper.

Believe it or not the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 all have the same 95mm bore. It's only the stroke that changes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

I should have added that if you place the piston ring in the top of the bore where it still measures 95mm the gap is 0.80 mm. If you then push the piston ring to the position it achieves at TDC then the gap is 1.53mm.

So the bore is worn.

20210710_134236.jpg

20210710_134201.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

I see. That’s a shame that is! 

Yes, but can be fixed. It wasn't my plan to build a performance CIH but it looks like I'm going to.

So 96mm wossener high compression pistons with a Kent or piper fast road cam running on stand alone management with no dissy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snowy said:

Yes, but can be fixed. It wasn't my plan to build a performance CIH but it looks like I'm going to.

So 96mm wossener high compression pistons with a Kent or piper fast road cam running on stand alone management with no dissy.

Enem Cams are nice. I have found it much better than the Kent one i had in my 2.1

https://enem.se/ib.asp

and the Omex 600 is pretty good if you are going engine management.

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snowy said:

Thanks I will take a look. It definitely seems a choice between DTA and OMEX.

Cheers

I found the Omex really easy to setup and the support guys are really helpful.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Snowy said:

I'm running forged 96mm short skirt wossener pistons and rods in my 240, with coil pack, big valve head, Kent op254 and Kent vernier pully, with jenvey 45s 300cc injectors and megasquirt management 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I'm running forged 96mm short skirt wossener pistons and rods in my 240, with coil pack, big valve head, Kent op254 and Kent vernier pully, with jenvey 45s 300cc injectors and megasquirt management 

Did you change the rods or leave the standard ones in?

Thanks

4 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Similar setup to you Andy. But standard pistons and Enem cam with Webcon 45 throttle bodies. Probably would have gone the Wossner route if i was buying pistons now but when i got mine they were quite cheap as it was so long ago! 🙂

Screenshot-2020-05-09-21.11-1140x660.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

From what I know the earlier CIH blocks are all pretty much the same castings and can be taken to 95mm.

Even the 1600 block, I have read that but never done it.

Thanks