Summerholiday with the Manta

Hi everybody. Well I'm back after three weeks in the south of France, the French Pyrenees. We did this with the GSI, so no airco, ABS or power steering. This while we 'v got an Insignia Sports Tourer full option standing in the garage 😁.

The 1140km to our destination was without any problems, was as usually confronted those candle lights of the Manta are not the same as the AFL xenon beams of the Insignia. At one of our first local trips we crossed an Astra GSI that flashed to us, and a few minutes later he was pushing in my back;flashing his high beams while his indicator was blinking. So we stopped and had a nice talk. The guy is one of the chairmans of the  Retr'Opel Club Du Sud. Some pics:

m9EbFN7.jpg

zRcOZE6.jpg

He asked if he could take some pics to put them on their Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/rocs.club    Scroll down and on the 14th of juli you'll find them.

The GSI with a French old timer, the Citroén Ami based on the 2CV:

ttqZgnj.jpg

And on another trip with a Renault 4:

P1ter8O.jpg

Driving into the mountains:

TLr26kx.jpg

And together with some friends with their bikes, in the hairpin curves they couldn't follow the Manta but when the road was straight they catched up:

Gvz1KlY.jpg

Some pics my wife took on our location:

qQEmZi0.jpg

dz6wJw5.jpg

Again on a trip:

EF21jmp.jpg

Our last day in the morning while I was packing the car with luggage, it was raining:

7brIEiP.jpg

The journey home also without problems, in a 2 hour traffic jam the engine stayed cool thanks the special radiator I fitted and never had to use the electrical fan. We did 3500km's with the Manta, noticed a drip of oil on the valve cover but never had to top up the engine oil. The high torque of the 2.4 is nice to drive in the mountains but noticed (before also) the 2.4 needs some more feul in the high revs. So gonna fit a B1 GT/E feul pressure regulator and fiddle a bit with the spring of the AFM. The consumption on the highway was 7,8 liter/100km while I was pushing 130Km/h crono where possible. Found after an inspection a drip of oil on the cover of the rear axle. 

We had a lot of nice comments while parking the car with shopping etc. and some French men asked me what car this is. The Manta was solled in France but never as popular as in our countries.

Enjoy the pics, grts Herman

• Like 13

Thanks for the nice comments, and my apologises for this late reaction. A few days ago one of our Sons best friends came into my garage and tried to say my son was evacuated with an ambulance after an accident with his motorcycle. As a father I can say that was a moment my heart stopped for a split second. Used to drive those things when I was younger and I almost lost one brother cause of it. Our son didn't answer on his smartphone so I called the hospitals in the neighbourhood of his accident and was informed he was stabil. To make it short: His collar bone is broken and dislocated (ugly bump above his heart) and he is already been in surgery so he is fine yet.

Why I write this: He was with some friends cruising with their bikes when this happened, they called the ambulance after his accident. They kept him comfortable and stayed with him. Tolled the police officer what happened while our son was in the ambulance. After that they pulled his motorcycle out of the dirt and brought it back home to me but first they cleaned it on those "self car wash" things cause the bike was dirty. Later that evening someone brought his helmet... 

Just want to say my trust in the youth is reborn, yes I know I'm the one that can complain cause their smartphone sticks in their hands also cause I'v got some years in the army behind me but what those guys did to help my son was great. They are all around 20 years young but did what needed to be done.  

Grts, Herman

• Like 1

Hi Herman,

It is every parents worst nightmare and I'm glad that he got away with injuries that weren't life threatening. I hope he is feeling better and only his pride is bruised now.

That was good of the Police to clean his bike and return it home. I'm not sure that would have happened in the UK, they usually leave that to your insurers to worry about.

My nephew is 20 and he is a good responsible lad who helps out at home and is far more serious that I ever was at his age, so there is hope for us yet!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Have been riding motorcycles for 45 years

.Been very foolish over the years 

No real injuries, have come off a few times.

Everyone should ride a motorcycle as it gives you a insight of how many people out there have not a clue how to drive 

6A9939C4-B6B6-4CE6-A093-84E2C338EAC1.jpeg

• Like 3

Speedy and healthy recovery wishes to your son Herman.

I agree with mr bandit, you learn to trust no driver, and as the advert goes, expect the unexpected. 

Had a few close scrapes, one with a 40ft, street sign and a grass verge, other was a car locking up on brakes behind me! 

But being a motorcyclist makes you a better car driver. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

That was good of the Police to clean his bike and return it home.

Well they did only their paperwork, the mates of my son returned the bike & helmet 👍

Thanks all for your nice comments. Sean is recovering well, think he'll be back on his bike when he is able. Just want him to buy a decent jacket.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, H-400 said:

Well they did only their paperwork, the mates of my son returned the bike & helmet 👍

Thanks all for your nice comments. Sean is recovering well, think he'll be back on his bike when he is able. Just want him to buy a decent jacket.

Good to hear Herman, I have told both my lads from a young age 'NO' to motorbikes for the reasons in the thread.

It is not even that bikes are dangerous, it's the fact so many drivers of cars can't even drive safely at 20mph or navigate roundabouts properly these days that scare me most.

Edited by Jessopia74

19 hours ago, H-400 said:

Sean is recovering well, think he'll be back on his bike when he is able. Just want him to buy a decent jacket.

Plenty of bike gear available, i have back protectors, kidney belts, body armour as a jacket, then waterproof, jacket, good quality leather jacket, proper riding boots, proper canvas leather trousers. 

Some of the gear, lidl stock, or aldi, is brilliant, especially protectors, padded jackets, boots and gloves, and they do last, brilliant quality.

Wear a correct leather jacket, akito is a great make, very tough, comfortable, full leather with extra padding,

Great to hear it hasnt turned him away from biking, and there a further licence, education courses available, but you learn alot from other bikers also, it really is a great activity. 

• Like 1

I started to ride at 17 ( so young and foolish) now 62 no bike at the minute but looking for the bikes from when l was younger 

Not into doing 140 mph plus down county roads anymore 

Did get a cbr650f but not for me so got rid 

Just now, 1200bandit said:

I started to ride at 17 ( so young and foolish) now 62 no bike at the minute but looking for the bikes from when l was younger 

Not into doing 140 mph plus down county roads anymore 

Did get a cbr650f but not for me so got rid