Door lock issue - fixable?

Rob36

Hi all. I’ve got an issue with the door lock barrel on my cavalier coupe. The lock, although turning as it should , has stopped locking/unlocking the door. Reason being  the plastic arm that’s at the back attached to the back of the lock is slipping on the spindle. Is it buggered, or has anyone encountered the same issue and fixed it? I can’t see anything immediately wrong looking at it other that the plastic arm doesn’t turn when the key does and slips. Any advice would be appreciated. I’d prefer not to have yet another key really, and I can’t see any locks available online at the moment. (It’s passenger side) 

Thanks for the reply Paul. Appreciated! Here’s a pic of the barrel.  I’m assuming the plastic lever will have to be removed to perform a bit of surgery? It looks fairly brittle. Looks to me like there should be a part of the mechanism that slots into the plastic bit creating the turn when the key is twisted,but that has either slipped backwards or broken off? Any points on how to tackle fixing it would be much appreciated mate! https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezoarxpdnx7stgu/7FEACFCC-C649-49D5-AFFE-9C111564447A.jpeg?dl=0 

Hi Mick. Thanks for the reply. Have yu uploaded a pic there? - It says theres content on your post, but I cant see it unfortunately. I think Ill pop into a local locksmith later on to see if they can do anything with it. Failing that try and source a used barrel that I can salvage bits from...

Ah ok bud, fair enough. Anyway, long and short is a new lock is needed. Took it to a locksmith who set about it with a too-big screwdriver and snapped a couple of the lugs off the end of the plastic bit before I stopped him and told him not to bother. I managed to remove the plastic bit at home, which revealed a metal shim that slots into the plastic part from the inner barrel has snapped off, so that was the problem. I’m now in the hunt for a new barrel if anyone has one? Even one without a key as I’ll be swapping the bits over…

That’s a kind offer Paul! I’m fairly sure donor parts will be needed now though? Having taken the thing apart now and seen the issue, I’m pretty certain it’ll need a new inner barrel, and a new plastic rear arm thing, since the locksmith pretty much wrecked it, and I also contributed a bit getting it off at home… I’ll have to put it back on for a week now though as we’re going to mid Wales for a week and I’ll be taking the car I think…