2.0 litre CIH engine valve clearance

SilverDreamMachines

Does anybody know if there is a 'cold' setting for valve clearances on a 2.0 CIH engine with hydraulic tappets, trying to stop spraying the engine bay with oil. I have a cover for the chain, but still worried oil is going to go everywhere. There must have been a way of doing this on the production line, I can't believe they ran every engine up and took the cam cover off to set them up.

Any help appreciated

Dave B

Yes they are adjusted when the engine is warm. That is if you’re engine is running in the first place. But if it’s been rebuilt, the cold set guide is good to start with. The Haynes manual covers it well, I did a set on a 2.2 Carlton a few years ago and it ran smooth. I think every CIH owner has a spare rocker cover cut open somewhere haha 

• Haha 1

On 03/09/2021 at 08:06, Sutty2006 said:

Yes they are adjusted when the engine is warm. That is if you’re engine is running in the first place. But if it’s been rebuilt, the cold set guide is good to start with. The Haynes manual covers it well, I did a set on a 2.2 Carlton a few years ago and it ran smooth. I think every CIH owner has a spare rocker cover cut open somewhere haha 

Thanks, I'll have another look in the manuals. I was really just trying to avoid 'the oily mess', and thought there must be a way they did it on the production line

Cheers

Dave B

3 hours ago, SilverDreamMachines said:

Thanks, I'll have another look in the manuals. I was really just trying to avoid 'the oily mess', and thought there must be a way they did it on the production line

Cheers

Dave B

In the thread I linked, one of our members just sets them with a preload

• Like 1