Vauxhall Cavalier mk1

Michael mcinerney

Hi all

New here.woundering does anyone have any info on a mk1 Cavalier saloon i recently purchased. Its original reg number was POI 2505.

Its a 1977 1.6 petrol gold colour.now a copper colour.bought it in kerry guy selling it had very little info on car or history.just taught maybe someone might know something about it. First time having a Cavalier. As it was always mantas I had which both came from England first was white gte coupe D275 OGH.last one was silver gte coupe A71 FPG.both still around.also does the Cavalier need led replacement supplement with unleaded petrol.engine is a little bit rattley hope its just tappets need adjustment or are they normally a little rattley 

Any help greatly appreciated 

Thank 

Michael mcinerney 

• Like 1

hi there and welcome. 

1.6 have manually adjusted tappets( valve clearance ) so do tend to have a little noise compared to a 2 litre but it shouldnt be excessive and wont realy make lot of difference to the driving experience once youve got used to it.

as regards unleaded.    yes in theory it would need hardened exhaust valve seats fitted but in reality especially if you dont rev it up into the red and dont do a lot of mileage it will be fine. the valve seats will have lead still on them (called lead memory)and this remains for a long time . you could use a lead additive which may help but personally ive run a viva on unleaded for many hears with no issues unmodified.

obvious rust issues far outweigh any mechanical problems and it needs checking over in all the usual manta rust spots to rectify if found or protect if good.im sure youve already checked basic areas especially being a past manta owner. 

fantastic cars and even the 1.6 is perfectly capable in todays traffic ( some may dissagree !) and in my preffered form of standard suspension they are a very nice car  to drive and comfort beats many a modern eurobox.if not all !

enjoy.

Many thanks for your help and information much appreciated i bought the car three weeks ago.has been restored about seven years ago.was standard.but previous owner lowered the car.which is not really to my liking way to low.so have original springs have been sorted.are the front springs pretty much the same in height as rear.as I have to pick them out and match up a full set.had a quick look over car but haven't had time yet to really go threw the car.i know previous owner waxoil the doors and some underside.looking forward to working on car.as I've been out off the opel scene for quite a while

hi. standard front springs are a tad over 9 1/2 turns of approx 12.5 mm spring steel.they are the same thickness throughout.

rear springs ( proper cavalier ones) i havnt got one here to count but they look similar length and thickness wise but have the last turn on each end made thinner.

i hope this helps . 

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2021 at 00:28, Michael mcinerney said:

Hi all

New here.woundering does anyone have any info on a mk1 Cavalier saloon i recently purchased. Its original reg number was POI 2505.

Its a 1977 1.6 petrol gold colour.now a copper colour.bought it in kerry guy selling it had very little info on car or history.just taught maybe someone might know something about it. First time having a Cavalier. As it was always mantas I had which both came from England first was white gte coupe D275 OGH.last one was silver gte coupe A71 FPG.both still around.also does the Cavalier need led replacement supplement with unleaded petrol.engine is a little bit rattley hope its just tappets need adjustment or are they normally a little rattley 

Any help greatly appreciated 

Thank 

Michael mcinerney 

Hello there

I thought I was the only one in Galway with a Mk1 Cav. I have a 78 yellow 1600. 

Are you in the city or Co? 

I'm in the process of chopping mine up to track it so i have a lot of parts headed for the bin. If you need anything and i have it you're welcome to it.

No charge, just pick up. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Hello 

I'm near ballinasloe 

Where about are you in Galway 

On 17/09/2021 at 21:11, cam.in.head said:

hi. standard front springs are a tad over 9 1/2 turns of approx 12.5 mm spring steel.they are the same thickness throughout.

rear springs ( proper cavalier ones) i havnt got one here to count but they look similar length and thickness wise but have the last turn on each end made thinner.

i hope this helps . 

Thank you for information 

I have four manta springs located just to pick them out

1 hour ago, StarBuck aka Mike said:

Hello there

I thought I was the only one in Galway with a Mk1 Cav. I have a 78 yellow 1600. 

Are you in the city or Co? 

I'm in the process of chopping mine up to track it so i have a lot of parts headed for the bin. If you need anything and i have it you're welcome to it.

No charge, just pick up. 

Are you chopping this car?

What parts you have.may be interested in full car

1 hour ago, StarBuck aka Mike said:

I'm using it for track days but the glass, door cards, headlights, bumpers etc are going in the bin. 

The dash and seats are gone, engine is gone but the 4 speed gearbox driveshaft and axle are there. 

I'll take the lights and bumpers. 

Do you have the chrome trim on top of doors with the rubber by the glass?

What part of galway are ya.

On 14/11/2021 at 10:38, Michael mcinerney said:

I'll take the lights and bumpers. 

Do you have the chrome trim on top of doors with the rubber by the glass?

What part of galway are ya.

Hi there

What part of galway are you. Any contract  number. Be interested in getting few bits off you

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mepbowles said:

I remember seeing this for sale. They look so good lowered slightly and the copper colour is really nice.

Nice colour alright.not really a fan of them been lowered. Not comfortable to drive on Irish roads.never had one of these always had mantas.just starting to strip it down the last few days. Previous owner loved his fiberglass. Bit of cutting and welding  to do.

On 14/11/2021 at 18:56, Michael mcinerney said:

Its where it belongs, down in the weeds. 

The lower you are to the bumps, the classification changes, bumps are hills, hills aint a problem.

Wheels, offset and stance of car is perfect! In my eyes. 

58 minutes ago, Michael mcinerney said:

Nice colour alright.not really a fan of them been lowered. Not comfortable to drive on Irish roads.never had one of these always had mantas.just starting to strip it down the last few days. Previous owner loved his fiberglass. Bit of cutting and welding  to do.

If you're thinking of swapping the springs out, I'd be interested in them, if they're not cut down ones.

Although, I do use mine for carrying loads and passengers and the exhaust can already be a problem so I appreciate the clearance and ride issues. It might limit my cavalier driving style.

32 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Main catching point is the exhaust silencer before rear axle, if you think about it, it will catch before the rear wheels get a chance to raise on ramp. Can be easily removed and a connection pipe put in place. 

Yes the exhaust is a problem.

Straight pipe from manifold to rear box on it at moment. Will have to do something about that.as even with a slight dip in the road it scrapes like hell on road.ive only drove it twice since I got it.and with it be lowerd its way to hard on the road.would like a little bit more comfort  than the way it is now.

Have springs sourced to go back on car.origonal spec. brakes need full overhall in process of stripping  it at moment good bit of cutting and welding. engine rattles like a bag of spanners.upgrade to a 2.0l one possible 5speed box as well.at least no body work to be done .so it will keep me busy over next few months.

no reason a 1.6 should have a nasty rattle providing of couse its not totally worn out .

yes valve gear can be slightly noisier than a 2 litre but shouldnt be excessive if adjusted up ok.

timing chains can be noisy at idle ( or above if badly worn) on a high mileage or badly maintained engine.or if the tensioner is stuck or worn.

obviously "rattle" can be confused with pinking but thats a totally different noise and only obvious whilst on the move realy.

and as mentioned above .what oil and what pressure yougetting ?

On 04/12/2021 at 18:25, ®evo03 said:

Engine rattle, what oil r you running? Whats the pressure like? 

Landcruiser Manta on the way! 

Put total 10/40 oil.havent checked pressure yet.new oil seems to have less rattle.next job set tappets. Rule of nine applies.gona check while tik over messy job.need to make timchain cover first.

I got very little info on car.previous owner very sketchy with info.

Clock is showing 9500miles.must be second time round clock.i hope

6 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

no reason a 1.6 should have a nasty rattle providing of couse its not totally worn out .

yes valve gear can be slightly noisier than a 2 litre but shouldnt be excessive if adjusted up ok.

timing chains can be noisy at idle ( or above if badly worn) on a high mileage or badly maintained engine.or if the tensioner is stuck or worn.

obviously "rattle" can be confused with pinking but thats a totally different noise and only obvious whilst on the move realy.

and as mentioned above .what oil and what pressure yougetting ?

No history with car 

Milage is 9500???.have no way of checking pressure yet waiting for it to arrive soon i hope.

I put TOTAL 10/40 oil in.it seems to have less rattle now.need to adjust tappets next.there is a fair blow when I remove the oil cap when ticking over.dont think this is normal??.

I have 2.0l engine sourced.was just going to remove the 1.6.might save some time.dont know yet.didnt really do much around engine bay yet.

I really appreciate all the info and help from all of you.

Not too bad, some surface rust, but there are plenty of products out there, i use bilt hamber, great product, just search for their website.

Rust converters, gel, and protection. 

If you are taking all the carpet out, remove the sponge sound deading, other modern stuff available, maybe if stripped out check for water leaks, worth a look.