Vauxhall Cavalier mk1

Michael mcinerney

6 hours ago, H-400 said:

The floorpan on the drivers side: Is that a glassfiber repair? 

Yes it is done by previous owner. Can not stand the stuff.why some people do this is beyond me.

There are few more spots as well done the same way.removed now.

11 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Not too bad, some surface rust, but there are plenty of products out there, i use bilt hamber, great product, just search for their website.

Rust converters, gel, and protection. 

If you are taking all the carpet out, remove the sponge sound deading, other modern stuff available, maybe if stripped out check for water leaks, worth a look. 

Have all the carpet and seats out

Only damp spot was drivers footwell where glassfiber repair was done.

Quite a bit of surface rust alright few little holes here and there.nothing to major yet I hope.i did spot more glassfiber on right swan neck.havent got round to that yet.but I'm sure its hiding something. 

9 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

+1  for the bilt hammer stuff    / rustbuster.

a bit pricey but definately works well.

Thank you i will look into both products 

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2021 at 20:44, Michael mcinerney said:

Yes it is done by previous owner. Can not stand the stuff.why some people do this is beyond me.

There are few more spots as well done the same way.removed now.

Have all the carpet and seats out

Only damp spot was drivers footwell where glassfiber repair was done.

Quite a bit of surface rust alright few little holes here and there.nothing to major yet I hope.i did spot more glassfiber on right swan neck.havent got round to that yet.but I'm sure its hiding something. 

Thank you i will look into both products 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Few more pictures added 

Fiberglass was hiding some mess....going to be busy with welding and cutting.also got replacement engine 2.0s was told it was a good engine..fingers crossed  have all replacement gaskets .waterpump clutch kit new.lick of paint and good to go.webber carb also.there webber carb on the 1.6 engine also got one that came with 2.0s engine.will the 1.6 carb work on new engine?? 

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Maybe too much supercar manufacturing watching, carbon fibre, kevlar, monocock chassis, or maybe a fan of the robin reliant. 

Why do people do this, its a complete waste of time.  Welding is fun!

Its just as easy to do it the right way as the wrong way.it does more damage than good.

Been meaning to put up few pictures of the last manta I did I think it belonged to someone on here?

first picture was just after restoration. Second was when I got decals done of Austin mc hale DOTI 400

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Got some work done today 

Set tappets on cih engine major difference .also removed wings to gain access for welding in both footwells found yet more fibre glass on driver sill gonna re name it the fibre glass Cavalier I'd love to have a chat with the guy that did this to the car in the first place twat 

Hopefully will have engine and box out tomorrow 

Just now, Michael mcinerney said:

Got some work done today 

Set tappets on cih engine major difference .also removed wings to gain access for welding in both footwells found yet more fibre glass on driver sill gonna re name it the fibre glass Cavalier I'd love to have a chat with the guy that did this to the car in the first place twat 

Hopefully will have engine and box out tomorrow 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of work done yesterday. Engine and box out.ran smoothly no major issues other the exhaust manifold bolts seized solid.removed engine manifold with exhaust separately gas torch probably best option. 

Forgot how small the 4speed box is.one thing I've noticed the gear selector on right of box seems very loose is there bushings that should  be in both ends of transverse slector shaft? Guess that's why selecting gear is a bit sloppy.

Thinking about a 5speed box instead of the 4speed. What exactly do I need to convert to 5speed. Do I need to change the driveshaft as well as 5speed box sits further back the the 4speed box.?it would make it a lot more comfortable on long journeys. Also have 2.0l engine as well on carburettor. In two minds what to do. 

Plenty time to think over as I have quite a bit of welding to get on with.

• Like 1

there should be nylon bushes in the selector lever bar yes .they are a very soft grade thou and can wear out sometimes as may be your case to dissapear completely. ive replaced entire bars with a solid piece with no bushes and not noticed any differences if bushes cant be found ( or made)

regards the 5 speed conversion. i changed mine a few years back to 5 speed.(gearbox ,mounts ,proper tunnel top ,console etc ) and drove it for 1 day only. yes it makes a lower revving engine / quieter etc at motorway speeds but........... totally changes the character of the car. TO ME the 4 speed has a nice sound to it ,one of the best gearchanges ive ever seen and goes completely with the mk1  driving experience.the 5 speed short lever/ short throw is more suited to the later plastic bumpered mantas . and makes the car feel like a different vehicle and more modern.       not for me i thought !!

so i changed it all back the next weekend to 4 speed !

what im saying is maybee drive a 5 speed first before you do all that work 

• Like 4

On 04/04/2022 at 22:12, Jessopia74 said:

Box(with selector & gearlever), crossmember & mount, prop shaft, transmission tunnel top, centre console . 
There is a post somewhere in the forums with a 4speed gear selector conversion for the 5speed box, so it looks OEM. 

Thanks Jessopia74 

Think I will keep it  original 4speed 

On 04/04/2022 at 22:44, cam.in.head said:

there should be nylon bushes in the selector lever bar yes .they are a very soft grade thou and can wear out sometimes as may be your case to dissapear completely. ive replaced entire bars with a solid piece with no bushes and not noticed any differences if bushes cant be found ( or made)

regards the 5 speed conversion. i changed mine a few years back to 5 speed.(gearbox ,mounts ,proper tunnel top ,console etc ) and drove it for 1 day only. yes it makes a lower revving engine / quieter etc at motorway speeds but........... totally changes the character of the car. TO ME the 4 speed has a nice sound to it ,one of the best gearchanges ive ever seen and goes completely with the mk1  driving experience.the 5 speed short lever/ short throw is more suited to the later plastic bumpered mantas . and makes the car feel like a different vehicle and more modern.       not for me i thought !!

so i changed it all back the next weekend to 4 speed !

what im saying is maybee drive a 5 speed first before you do all that work 

Thanks cam.in.head 

The bushes are completely gone.looks like there gone quite a while. Good bit of wear in selector rod.need to get thinking cap on...

Think I will leave the 4speed box in it.drove a opel commodre  with four speed and liked it.nice gear change and smooth. 

Tried removing the exhaust manifold bolts tonight. Soaked them in wd40 left for two days. Buggers sheared all bar one even with gas torch.its been quite a few years since they last came off by looks of manifold. I guess drill them out and retread.anyone know what size tap is required? 

• Like 1

I use GWR-fasteners on eBay for all my nut and bolt requirements. No M9 bolts though, I’ve just checked.

Turbinejon also on eBay has the tap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M9-x-1-25-HSS-Tap-Right-Hand-Ground-Thread-Straight-flute-UK-supplier-/254207372664?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hello all

Been a bit since Been on.progress has been very slow on Cavalier drivers side is now finished all rot cut away replaced with new metal chassis leg luckily inner leg was fine.made new outer leg and weld in place 2mm steel plate.

Had to buy new welder also as te sealey was no good for lighter metal.bought a cracking welder from proweld in athlone  jasic 180 amp mig can also stick weld and tig weld with it.very easy to use leaves a really nice weld.good value and tidy around garage definitely recommend for body work.

Driver sill was covered with fibreglass. Cut away rotten metal and replaced with new. 

Ready to move on to passenger side  this week hopefully chassis leg looks good  but will have to investigate more.

Also found more flipping fibreglass repair in wheel arch under battery tray.it really maddens me when I come across this crap.ive found out a little history on car.a coach builder in Castle Island in kerry.did this work and sold it to previous owner. Little did he know how much fibreglass he was buying. Cowboys  covered up what needed welding .

Will try take more pics as progress continues. 

• Like 4

Good finds and more to the point, fixes! What I will say is at least it saved the car and perhaps dud protect the corrosion somewhat. Yes it’s shoddy, and it’s cost someone somewhere to have that bull crap repair done. I really don’t understand how much effort is put into some of these cruddy repairs. I swear it’s cost more time to bodge than make a proper repair on some of the shit I have seen. 
keep it up, it’s coming along nicely. Great progress 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a cock up on the battery tray ( not as bad as yours) cut out and replaced with metal 

Drivers and passages inner wings cock up , top of the inner wing was corroded 

,have done the passage side along with new ball joints , clean,paint 

Got to do all again on the driver’s side 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 08:12, 1200bandit said:

I had a cock up on the battery tray ( not as bad as yours) cut out and replaced with metal 

Drivers and passages inner wings cock up , top of the inner wing was corroded 

,have done the passage side along with new ball joints , clean,paint 

Got to do all again on the driver’s side 

The joys of old cars.....

It's amazing the amount of time it takes to repair each section plenty of cups tea and looking which is the best way to do each section.all part of the fun.

Out of all the opels and vauxhalls I had this one has the most amount of cutting and welding that I ever had to do.it all a learning curve  but very enjoyable and rewarding and fun welding....ready for the next challenge whenever I get to it.

• Like 1