And finally the last bit of the project - the bodywork!!

22 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Thats looking really good, the car that is! Like your red tiles also, very retro. 

Think acetone, or nail varnish remover will remove red mist from anything precious!

Great job, very impressed, wanna do another one?

The sun lounge worked great as a spray booth 🙂

Its getting rebuilt now i finished the car!

If i had the facilities or space to create some i would love to do more painting as i really enjoyed it and learnt a whole load in the process. I wasn't as keen on all the sanding 🙂

i have the Lambretta to paint next and with all i have learnt doing the Opel i hope its going to come out even better.

• Like 1

A bit of a turn up for the books today. 

As the weather was so nice today i thought it would be good to get the doors back on the car (which is not an easy job on the own) so i asked the Missus if she would help, and she did!! Which is amazing as she does not love the car and never normally helps even if i ask nicely!!

Wings going back on Tuesday and that's all the panels fitted, so time to then fit the windows and get polishing! More pics to follow, especially on the polishing process!

Andy

• Like 5

Rear window fitted 🙂

and i even managed to get my daughter to give me a hand and hold it in place while i pulled the lip round with the old string technique.

Now i need to clean up the front screen rubber and get that fitted!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, IanMc said:

Andy - just Wow!

Great work, I’m so impressed 👍

Thanks Ian

I was impressed that i got my 17 year old daughter to help 🙂

Front screen, sun roof and then chrome stufff and we are then hopefully back on the road before the end of the year!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

Looks absolutely brilliant, first class job with the paint, not an easy task but you have made it look effortless, well done, top work 👍

Thanks, Mike

Its been a learning process! I have the flatting and polishing to do next so some more learning coming along. Not sure what i would do without youtube!!

• Like 1

You should be really proud of what you have achieved with the car Andy, in all the years that I have been involved with the trade, never once did I ever attempt a paint job, many times since I have wished that I had, to late now though!! so you can hold your head up high mate, like a few other club members who have done wonderful work with their Mantas,Oh! I nearly forgot to mention Cavaliers too.So get driving and show the world what you have achieved!.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mepbowles said:

It always looks so satisfying to see the rebuild after so long.

Perhaps if you started with the la.vretta, you could have applied your learnings to the Manta. But as you say, you now have the tools to redo it whenever you fancy.

Although the Manta was a much bigger thing to tackle i decided to do that first as there were actual less bits to paint (you would be surprised at how many bits there are to such a small scooter!!) and as the paint for the lambretta needed to come from the original company in Italy the cost of the paint for the lambretta was nearly as much as the Manta!

I think once i have flatted and polished the whole car it will give me an idea what does need looking at again. But im more looking foreword to driving it again as although its not been that long, it seems like ages 🙂

8 hours ago, Julian said:

You should be really proud of what you have achieved with the car Andy, in all the years that I have been involved with the trade, never once did I ever attempt a paint job, many times since I have wished that I had, to late now though!! so you can hold your head up high mate, like a few other club members who have done wonderful work with their Mantas,Oh! I nearly forgot to mention Cavaliers too.So get driving and show the world what you have achieved!.

Thanks, Julian. Every time i put another bit back on it seems to look even better.

I have always gone for that "what's the worst that can happen!" approach to anything and with the help of Youtube everything seems so much easier to learn how to do it. Im looking foreword to doing the Lambretta next. But im going to have to wait until spring i think as the missus wants me to get on and rebuild the conservatory, so that's my temporary paint booth gone 🙂

As the weather turned much warmer this afternoon down here on the south coast i decided it would be good to fit the front screen as i had it all ready to go.

I also picked up the matt back 2K paint today so i can paint the sunroof and get that back in and then we are not too far off.

• Like 6

Looks amazing, could you do up a list of equipment you used, paint products and brand. Any settings or tips you learned. It may help some of us take the plunge, im confident enough to paint, as i do prep, and have been painting for years, have most of the equipment, and am prepared to invest in anything that i need, cant justify paying a fortune for a paint shop job. 

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Looks amazing, could you do up a list of equipment you used, paint products and brand. Any settings or tips you learned. It may help some of us take the plunge, im confident enough to paint, as i do prep, and have been painting for years, have most of the equipment, and am prepared to invest in anything that i need, cant justify paying a fortune for a paint shop job. 

No problem. I will make up a list tonight and pop a post on here as its not actually that much that you need.

Im going to do a list of the next stage where im goign to have a bash at flatting and polishing it, which i hope will turn out ok and also be helpful for people.

Like you say, its just not worth paying the cost for a body shop at the prices they charge.

Just now, 611 said:

No problem. I will make up a list tonight and pop a post on here as its not actually that much that you need.

Im going to do a list of the next stage where im goign to have a bash at flatting and polishing it, which i hope will turn out ok and also be helpful for people.

Like you say, its just not worth paying the cost for a body shop at the prices they charge.

I might even do a separate post so it can be found a bit easier later on. I will also pop it on my blog.

• Like 1

As it was a lovely sunny day down here on the sough coat and about 15 degrees i decided it would be a good day to paint the sunroof surround. I already had it prepped and it had been sat in the conservatory warming (got to make the most of it before i rebuild it as then i don't think the missus will let me put car stuff in it!!) and i had picked up the 2K matt black paint the other day i was all set to go. 

I rolled the Manta out of the garage and give the sunroof a quick de-grease and we were all set. Another plus of already having the kit!

I was told that if i mixed it 3:1 it would give me more of a powder coat type finish rather than a flat finish so i gave it a go. The original finish was a powder coated finish so lets see how it looks!

I then sat it in the conservatory to dry after painting it.

I will see how it looks tomorrow but it seems to look pretty good. and i did the wiper arms while i was there as i had a bit of paint left over!!

• Like 2

I was not happy with the finish on the sunroof (im getting picky now!!) so i decided to flat it and pop another cost of paint on it (as you do!) and this time it came out super nice, so it curing in the sun lounge and will be ready to fit on Thursday. I will post a pic when its all installed. Wiper arms came out great as well!

This is another reason that having your own paint gun is so good 🙂

And you can see why @Kurtupsin75 Cav is looking so good as once you have the equipment its so easy to just paint bits as you go along 🙂

Andy

• Like 1

Sunroof now installed and looking pretty good i think 🙂

Just waiting for the sealer to go off a bit (seems to take a bit longer now the temperate is a bit cooler!) and then i can clean up the edges and we are all done 🙂

Now im just waiting for a few bits from Germany so i can sort out the window rattle, clips for the wheel arch trim and boot seal and we are almost there.

I have a few bits to get chromed so that will be the last final bits.

Onto the mopping and polishing next 🙂

Andy

• Like 2