Feniks the 1972 A series restomod project.

Bruce Hockley

Hi and welcome to my project build of my (2nd) South African Manta A series from 1972. 

The name Feniks is actually Phoenix in Afrikaans. 

The car is A bit rougher than my other car Elle. It has been wideboy modified with dodgy vinyl covered interior and glued down red carpet.

Interior door handles are removed as are mirrors and a cheap plastic bonnet bulge had been fitted.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Yesterday Feniks was pushed into the garage as it would only turn over and wouldn't start to drive off the trailer. 

Fuel at the carb and a weak spark at the plugs but only a cough from the engine.

Tonight we attached the boost charger, checked the fuel by pumping into a tub. Dribbles came out even though the Facet fuel pump was working fine. A quick pipe to a Jerry can of fuel and off she went!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot has happened lately as been concentrating on Elle but today the order for the brand new LS3 crate engine, brand new TKX 5 speed gearbox and associated fitting parts went in and was paid for.

Sad day for the Bank balance but excited to receive Feniks new heart.

• Like 4

Well just 24 hours after placing the order my package arrived!

I was so excited that I had to start unwrapping it immediately. 

First out was the gearbox. 

Not as big as I was expecting considering it's good for 600bhp and torque.

Next came the LS3.

again, not really as big as I was expecting. 

Last box contained all the other bits.

Bellhousing,

Flywheel, 

and clutch.

Also in the box was clutch fork, transmission mount and all the required bolts to put it all together.

Clutch slave cylinder is coming as soon as they are back in stock.

VERY happy with my purchases and some quick measurements show it should all fit without too much surgery.

Initial thoughts were that the gearstick would be way back but it turns out the housing can be reversed which puts the gearstick just behind the standard position. 😃

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress on the car. Forgotten to take many pictures during the strip down.

Almost completely stripped down now with only the doors and boot left to remove. 

Waiting for the dippers to give me a date to find out exactly how bad this shell really is. I have found half a dozen rust holes but nothing major.

On 15/10/2021 at 23:04, Bruce Hockley said:

Don't know yet. Sort of crossing bridges when I get to them. 🤣

I would stick with the original set up for the front end using adjustable coil overs and hd bushes . Remember this suspension was used in Lotus Esprits  so may help looking at what Lotus owners do to uprate suspension/brakes etc...

eg http://www.lotusespritworld.comhttp://www.lotusespritworld.com/images/katosSE/LotusSuspension_01.jpg/EGuides/EModifications/Lotus_Suspension.html

• Like 1

Im sure the front end can handle the engine weight ok with uprated suspension and the brakes can easily be upgraded to some nice big wilwoods to stop it but i think the main issue is going to be the rear antiroll bar? What are your plans there?

Im not sure how much exhaust you have to fit in with the LS3?

How big is the box compared to a getrag 240?

Andy

I am happy to custom build anything for this car starting with suspension and drivetrain. Don't know how big a getrag box is but it's twice the size of the original 4 speed! The tunnel will have to be cut right out as Bell housing is huge. Gearstick will come out about 6" behind original at first quick measure.

I have a set of Brembo 4 pots lying around which I might use but need to decide what I'm doing with suspension before I think about brakes. 😀

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bruce Hockley said:

I am happy to custom build anything for this car starting with suspension and drivetrain. Don't know how big a getrag box is but it's twice the size of the original 4 speed! The tunnel will have to be cut right out as Bell housing is huge. Gearstick will come out about 6" behind original at first quick measure.

I have a set of Brembo 4 pots lying around which I might use but need to decide what I'm doing with suspension before I think about brakes. 😀

Seen a few V8 in the A and even driven one (which was loud and quick!) but all the issue they seemed to have came down to that rear anti roll bar. Its hard enough getting the 2.5" exhaust on mine past it! How deep is the engine compared to the CIH?

Not sure if you could use the B setup as i think that's at the front?

Andy

Edited by 611

• 5 months later...

Well things have started to move forward on Feniks a little bit. 

Firstly I bought a Jaguar IRS which I am going to fit in the rear. This solves the suspension, rear brakes and drive train problems but needs professionally narrowing as is about 4" too wide at the moment. I have a guy who does this with special jigs he has made to do the job as well as can be done. 

I know what you are thinking,  yes they are 20" alloys and no I'm not using them!

The LSD in this axle should also take the power and help put it to the ground.

There are two coilovers on each side which will be tailored to the final weight of the vehicle but will do for now.

The rear brakes are inboard with big calipers and addition ones for handbrake.

It's quite a heavy unit but will probably be a good thing as the engine has 300+lb/ft of torque from 2000 rpm all the way to 6500 rpm so traction is going to be at a premium. 

Next on the list was initial engine and gearbox fitting.

A "little clearancing" was required. 

The seam that sticks out from the chassis rails had to go just to get engine in.

Chassis legs are getting removed and remade further out to make room for the headers and to match up with the MX5 Mk3 front subframe. This gives suspension and steering with upgrade options.

Gearbox fell into the hole I made for it.

A whole new tunnel will be made.

thanks to its reversible gear selector that has 2 positions, the lever is only a couple of inches behind the original spot.

I still need to cut out the rest of the tunnel to make room for the two 2.5" exhausts and big propshaft but that will come once engine and gearbox are mounted and front suspension is in.

• Like 3

Tried and trusted Jag  IRS and Diff. You would need to be putting some serious power down and resistance to move (kerb weight) to break that.  Interesting that you are completely moving the rails. How much outdo they need to go? 

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Tried and trusted Jag  IRS and Diff. You would need to be putting some serious power down and resistance to move (kerb weight) to break that.  Interesting that you are completely moving the rails. How much outdo they need to go? 

Literally outside of where they are now should give enough space.

495bhp and 480lb/ft of torque out the box on this crate engine. 😁

• Like 1