Feniks the 1972 A series restomod project.

Bruce Hockley

Hi and welcome to my project build of my (2nd) South African Manta A series from 1972. 

The name Feniks is actually Phoenix in Afrikaans. 

The car is A bit rougher than my other car Elle. It has been wideboy modified with dodgy vinyl covered interior and glued down red carpet.

Interior door handles are removed as are mirrors and a cheap plastic bonnet bulge had been fitted.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Yesterday Feniks was pushed into the garage as it would only turn over and wouldn't start to drive off the trailer. 

Fuel at the carb and a weak spark at the plugs but only a cough from the engine.

Tonight we attached the boost charger, checked the fuel by pumping into a tub. Dribbles came out even though the Facet fuel pump was working fine. A quick pipe to a Jerry can of fuel and off she went!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot has happened lately as been concentrating on Elle but today the order for the brand new LS3 crate engine, brand new TKX 5 speed gearbox and associated fitting parts went in and was paid for.

Sad day for the Bank balance but excited to receive Feniks new heart.

• Like 4

Well just 24 hours after placing the order my package arrived!

I was so excited that I had to start unwrapping it immediately. 

First out was the gearbox. 

Not as big as I was expecting considering it's good for 600bhp and torque.

Next came the LS3.

again, not really as big as I was expecting. 

Last box contained all the other bits.

Bellhousing,

Flywheel, 

and clutch.

Also in the box was clutch fork, transmission mount and all the required bolts to put it all together.

Clutch slave cylinder is coming as soon as they are back in stock.

VERY happy with my purchases and some quick measurements show it should all fit without too much surgery.

Initial thoughts were that the gearstick would be way back but it turns out the housing can be reversed which puts the gearstick just behind the standard position. 😃

• Like 6